Please take a moment & say thank you by donating $5 or whatever you can to the Center for Auto Safety. Notes: The 2013 Fusion doesn’t have the same track record of power steering failure as the previous 3 model years. Of course, those owners said their steering failed at 60k–100k miles. So this appears to be a classic "wait and see" scenario.

In the meantime, there’s plenty of interior accessory problems to complain about. By themselves, each is a barely a blip on the radar. But combined, they give you that feeling of what the hell have I gotten myself into?

2013 Ford Fusion fuel system problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2013 Ford Fusion:

2013 Ford Fusion Owner Comments (Page 1 of 2)

Jul 112016

We have had our 2103 Fusion now for 2 months. 1 week after having the car it began to make a humming noise around the gas tank area, then when you slowed down for a red light the car would stall and be hard to start back. Sent the car back to the dealership to only be told they couldn't find anything wrong. Once we received the car back we drove it for a couple of days and the car started making the noise again and would stall again. Called dealership and took car back again still nothing. Received car back and began to notice when we was fueling the car that the RPM gauge would go up and down and then the vehicle would quit and be very hard to start back. While driving the vehicle about 3 weeks ago it stalled again and would not start back, finally after about 30 mins of trying the car started. Sent car back to dealership again and they have had the car 3 weeks and they are saying they can not find anything wrong with the vehicle. I asked if they had put fuel in it like I advised they proceeded to tell me no. I advised them when they did to let me know what the car did. We no longer feel safe driving the car. I believe we either have a fuel pump issue or the vehicle is pulling air in from the fueling system and is causing it to air lock. The vehicle has quit about 12-15 times in the 2 months we have had

- Rush, KY, USA

Aug 052016

The fuel purge valve is stuck in the open position as diagnosed by my research and later confirmed by the dealership. Upon doing research, this model of purge valve was installed in all 2009+ Ford vehicles and a recall was issued for 2009-2011 vehicles, yet it is still being used in the newer models and failing. I am being charged $565 by the dealership to fix a problem that Ford has not taken responsibility for. Fusion model year 2013, approx. 50K miles, air purging from the fuel tank (out of 'capless' opening), car shudders regularly and more so when I first put gas in it. Has been happening for about 2 months; check engine light finally came on yesterday.

- Palm Beach Gardens, FL, USA

Jul 022016

The contact owns a 2013 Ford Fusion. While driving 25 mph, the vehicle stalled without warning. The vehicle was able to be restarted. The vehicle was towed to a dealer where it was diagnosed that the battery needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired; however, the failure recurred while still at the dealer. The technician stated that the fuel gauge needed to be replaced. The vehicle had not been repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 44,000. Updated 09/27/16

- St Joseph, MI, USA

Mar 032016

My car is stalling when I pull out into traffic. This problem has been going on for 3 months. I have had it to the Ford dealer and get the same answer everyone else seems to be getting" we don't know if we can't get the car to do it because there is no check engine light. I even took it to a Chevrolet dealer to see if they could figure it out but same thing but I didn't expect them to fix it was just hopeful. I expect Ford to be able to tell me what is wrong not guess work that gets a bit expensive. Ford has been nothing short of rude and unconcerned. Even though they have been having this issue for years from what I have seen on line. Eco-boast especially. A recall or just figure it out and I will pay to fix it. My car is not safe to drive. I have a teenage son who drives he has his own car but for long trips I prefer he drive my car with all the safety features, but now I would not dare let him drive it. He has a 2004 Ford Taurus that is safer for him to drive then my car.

- Longs, SC, USA

Mar 042016

2013 F usion 1.6 turbo fuel vapor purge valve went bad and Ford dealer said it was not covered, the internet says the 2013 and all way back to 2010, this car is a big problem all of the recall I have a problem with this, when the internet says the valve should be covered.

- Hendersonville, TN, USA

Feb 252016

Multiple time my car "surges" while driving. I'm afraid that this will cause me to "surge" into traffic. Other times while driving, the Fusion just dies.

- Lexington, IN, USA

Dec 182015

I have been having issues with the car dying while accelerating from stops. Took to local Ford dealer, nothing wrong. Took to local mechanic after it died on me and they said software programming for throttle body. The vehicle has died approximately 6 times while at stop signs and stop lights, when you go to take off, it acts like it isn't getting gas. I have called the local Ford dealer and Ford customer service, but say there is no program updates for throttle bottle. Kevin at Ford customer service went on to tell me that what I found online with throttle body issues was not true, unless I found it on This all started on Friday, December 18th.

- Lexington, IN, USA

Jan 022016

I only seem to be able to fill the 16.5 gallon tank with 13.5 gallon's of fuel.

- North Charleston, SC, USA

Nov 292015

Ford electronic throttle body problems...while I was drive back from philadelphia on Saturday night, my car began to have mechanical problems. While going up a hill on I95 after crossing the long bridge, I experienced drastically reduce speed. Even when pressing on the gas, nothing happen. There was no warning lights so I immediately put on my hazard light but the cars were coming up on me fast and swerving to avoid hitting me. With my foot on the gas pedal to the floor, I was only able to maintain a speed of 40 mph. I was able to make it up the hill and by staying in the slow lane. Once I got to a stopping place, I pulled over and shut the vehicle off. I wait a little while then turned the vehicle back on. It studdar but started and then the check engine light came on. I use the cars internal engine check which showed not problems so I continue until I made it back to my home. The next day the engine light was on and it would not start. I took it to the Ford dealership who diagnostics said it was the electronic throttle body. I researched and found this is a defective part in my model year. There is a customer satisfaction program to address this issue but Ford is saying my car is ineligible. The program address car from 2009 to 2013. Ref:

- Greenbelt, MD, USA

Nov 272015

The 2013 Ford Fusion SE with the 1.6 and 2.0 ecoboost engines is supposed to have a 16.5 gallon fuel tank capacity yet I'm only able to get $13.13 gallons into the tank after driving 10 mile passed the "distance to empty" which displayed 0 on the dash please have patience to check this website out: multiple owners are complaining

- Philadelphia, PA, USA

Oct 232015

Car stalled and went into limp mode (limited power) several times over a 3 week period. It would stall at times when backing out of parking places. At a stop light on a busy road, it started shaking and running rough, dealer could not find cause and sent car home. Driving down a street 2 days later, it lost almost all power like it was running out of gas, barely made it to side of the road and was hard to restart. After several days, dealer states the issue was found to be a faulty fuel pressure sensor. Car only had 23,700 miles on it.

- Dyer, IN, USA

Jun 012013

While I was driving the gas tank started making a vibrating noise. I looked it up and it said there was no recall on my vehicle but there was on otheres"?" I want this fixed I have and infant and a toddler in my vehicle and it is unsafe to ride in.

- Sioux City , IA, USA

Mar 022015

This is the 6th time I am taking my vehicle in. The first 5 times were for transmission issues. They found "trash" in my transmission and had to take it apart. That happened about 1 month ago. I now have a serious fuel leak. I purchased extended warranty, however, I am concerned that this vehicle is not safe to drive. I purchased this vehicle brand new and have had nothing but serious problems with it. I am concerned for the safety of myself and my kids. I do not even want my children in this car anymore. Are there any solutions to my situation?

- Grand Prairie , TX, USA

Jul 012013

The contact owns a 2013 Ford Fusion. The contact stated that he received a recall notice NHTSA campaign number: 13V227000 (fuel system, gasoline) and stated that the parts were not available. There are no failures at this time.

- Waretown, NJ, USA

Sep 242013

1. lane keeping departure system presents a danger to cyclists & pedestrians. Now that I am aware, I turn the system off; however, the steering wheel puts up a good fight when I tried to provide the cyclists room--an unnecessary issue that could of caused serious bodily harm or death. 2. the vehicle does not get the mpg as promised on the sticker: A great deal of unnecessary money was lost. 3. the electrical A/C unit no longer generates cold air, but the fan still runs.

- Washington, DC, USA

Jul 202013

The contact owns a 2013 Ford Fusion. The contact stated that in July of 2103, she received notification of NHTSA campaign number: 13V227000 (fuel system, gasoline ). the contact took the vehicle to the dealer for repair but they stated that they did not have the parts available. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The contact also stated that she was not satisfied with the amount of time it took to have the parts available. The contact had not experienced a failure.

- San Diego, CA, USA

Jun 122013

On two occasions the vehicle spontaneously accelerated while backing out and pulling into the garage. This happened with 2 different drivers and conditions were similar with very low speeds and we were able to stop the vehicle both times by applying the brakes.

- Circleville, OH, USA

Nov 222012

Fusion 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2013 Ford Fusion. The contact stated that the fuel gauge failed and would provide erroneous fuel level readings. The contact stated that when the fuel tank was full, the fuel level gauge would only register fourteen of the sixteen gallons of fuel that was added to the vehicle. When the fuel tank was filled to maximum capacity, the fuel gauge would only register the tank as being half full. The vehicle was taken to the dealer and the contact was told that they could not diagnose a failure. The failure mileage was 10 and the current mileage was 1,000.

- Anderson, SC, USA

Apr 112013

I have a 2013 titanium and according to the manual it has a 16.5 gal tank. The distance to empty display stated 3 miles to empty so I refueled. I was only able to get in 12.779 gal into the tank when it clicked off. After refueling, the fuel gauge is always below the full line. Several individuals have posted the same problem and have had their fuel tanks replaced of which corrected this issue.

- Monclova, OH, USA

Feb 012013

Fusion 4-cyl

When filling fuel tank, the pump "kicked off" prior to a full tank as displayed by digital fuel gauge (just under full). I drove 25 miles and fuel gauge then showed between full and 3/4 tank. There seems to be an inaccuracy with the calibration of the gauge and/or amount of fuel that can be put into tank, with respect to tank capacity, before pump "kick off".

- New Egypt , NJ, USA