Please take a moment & say thank you by donating $5 or whatever you can to the Center for Auto Safety. Notes: The 2013 Fusion doesn’t have the same track record of power steering failure as the previous 3 model years. Of course, those owners said their steering failed at 60k–100k miles. So this appears to be a classic "wait and see" scenario.

In the meantime, there’s plenty of interior accessory problems to complain about. By themselves, each is a barely a blip on the radar. But combined, they give you that feeling of what the hell have I gotten myself into?

2013 Ford Fusion steering problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2013 Ford Fusion:

2013 Ford Fusion Owner Comments (Page 2 of 3)

Dec 292015

I was driving with my kids and out of nowhere, I received a "power steering assist fault" message display across the deck and I couldn't steer. It took immense effort to turn; and fortunately for us, it occurred really close to our house but on a major city street on the way home. I read online that there are tons of incidents with their Ford vehicle. I read an article online that Ford recalled over 450K vehicles for this issue but when I looked up my VIN on and the Ford website; there isn't a recall issued for it. There seem to be drivers out there who were both more or less fortunate than I was. I wanted to file a formal complaint to see if I can get this issue investigated.

- Manhattan, IL, USA

Dec 202015

While traveling long distance on a highway with 29,000 miles on the car I got a notice to service the power steering system now. Upon turning off the vehicle and back on the power steering no longer works. The vehicle is exceptionally hard to turn and near impossible to drive in and around normal stores without the assist. My wife cannot steer the vehicle at all.

- Centennial, Co, CO, USA

Oct 252015

The contact owns a 2013 Ford Fusion. The contact stated that the key failed to start the vehicle. After numerous attempts or disconnecting the battery, the vehicle was able to start. The vehicle was also included in NHTSA campaign number: 14V597000 (air bags), but the dealer stated the part was not available. The contact also stated that the eps and the power train warning lights illuminated. The manufacturer was notified of the failures. The failure mileage was not available.

- Virginia Beach, VA, USA

Sep 062015

Power steering failure on highway while traveling at 70mph. Ford dealer diagnosed failure of steering rack and replaced. New rack will not communicate with vehicle main computer. As of 9/27/15 Ford will not provide plan to resolve, timeline to resolve, or any further information. Vehicle remains at dealer facility and is not being released because dealer reports "we don't know what it will do."

- Orlando, FL, USA

Aug 242015

When I tried to pull out my car from the parking lot, the power steering was lost - I started the engine, released the break, was able to move forward or backward, but when I tried to turn around, the steer was stuck, I can only make little turn but then it's too heavy to continue the turn. This happened three times within one month, but there was no error message on dashboard. When it happened, stopping the engine and restarting, once or many times, fixed the issue. Took to a dealer but they were not able to read any "code", and they refuse to take further action. They asked me to monitor the car and take the car to them when it happens again.

- Mercer Island, WA, USA

Jul 202015

I took my car to the dealership because originally my door latch stopped working. When I went to pick up my car, they told me the electronic steering, or the epas, went out on the car. They said it's not the first time they've seen this happen and weren't surprised at all. I've contacted Ford and the original dealership where I purchased the car and both told me there was nothing that could be done but keep the receipts if I get it repaired just in case there is a recall. Also, this issue is unrelated to the steering bolt recall.

- Columbia, SC, USA

Jun 252015

While traveling on the highway the service power steering light came flashing on and the steering became difficult. Once I got to my destination, I parked the car. The next morning the power steering was not operating and I couldn't turn the wheels. I had the car taken to the nearest Ford dealer where they informed me the power steering gear failed and needed to be replaced. It was not covered under warranty. There was no accident, but if it had failed in heavy traffic, I may not have been so lucky.

- North Sutton, NH, USA

Jul 032015

The contact owns a 2013 Ford Fusion. The contact stated that the vehicle was taken to a dealer for repairs under NHTSA campaign id number: 15V250000 (steering); however, the mechanic noticed that the steering gear motor attachment bolts were missing. The contact was informed that the parts were unavailable to perform the repairs and stated that the manufacturer exceeded a reasonable amount of time for the recall remedy. The contact also received notification of NHTSA campaign numbers: 14V597000 (air bags, seat belts) and 15V246000 (latches, locks, linkages); however, the parts were unavailable to perform the repairs. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 32,800.

- Fort Drum , NY, USA

Jun 272015

The contact owns a 2013 Ford Fusion. The contact stated that while driving 70 mph, the power steering seized without warning. The vehicle was taken to the dealer, where it was diagnosed that there was an internal fault with the power steering. The vehicle was repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 72,000. The VIN was not available.

- Beaumont, TX, USA

Apr 252015

The contact owns a 2013 Ford Fusion. The contact received notification of NHTSA campaign number: 15V250000 (steering); however, the part to do the repair was unavailable. The contact stated that the manufacturer exceeded a reasonable amount of time for the recall repair. The manufacturer was made aware of the issue. The contact had not experienced a failure.

- Sag Harbor, NY, USA

Apr 092015

Fusion 4-cyl

While driving my 2013 Ford Fusion I suddenly lost power steering control. There were two alarm messages service advance trac and hill start assist unavailable. This is the second time this has happened with this car. The first time was in 2014 and davidson Ford of watertown NY fixed the issue then.

- Watertown, NY, USA

Mar 312015

Fusion 4-cyl

Started up the vehicle in the morning after sitting all night, buzzers, warning lights and messages popped up on the instrument cluster. "hill assist not available" "service advance trac" two light are also illuminated, traction control and stability control. The short 3 flash signals work but the sustained flash will not, the signal will flash once and shut off. The biggest safety concern is the power steering assist does not work. It will actually jerk the steering wheel in the opposite direction! unfortunately I had to drive the vehicle 40 miles to work. It grinds and pops as the wheel is turned like it is trying to rip the tie rods loose. I am automotive savvy and felt I could handle driving it, however if my wife was to drive this vehicle I would fear there would've been an accident.

- Parma, OH, USA

Mar 042015

Fusion 4-cyl

I was turning around in my driveway and the steering locked up. I could not turn the steering wheel at all.

- Syracuse, NY, USA

Feb 242015

Fusion 4-cyl

Power steering system failure. Vehicle has lost all power steering rendering the vehicle extremely difficult to drive, and definitely unsafe to drive.

- Bradford, PA, USA

Jan 192015

Fusion 4-cyl

When returning to vehicle I noticed the my Ford touch radio was still on. Went to drive away in car and power steering failed to work. All turn signal indicators failed to work as I drove away. The defrost, heating, and cooling controls failed to work. The speedometer failed to work. The 2 lcd screens on the dashboard with the fuel display and tachometer displayed only a white background. The power door locks failed to work. The radio will not turn off when the vehicle is exited and the problems where also repeated at the vehicle dealership. This is a safety issue when the power steering, turn signals, speedometer and defrost fail to work with no warning.

- White Lake, MI, USA

Dec 112014

This is a case of multiple incidents, first incident with significant issue was on 12/11/2014. As I was pulling out of my driveway and reversing across two lanes of traffic, my car turned off and said "press brake to start" (I have the push-start-ignition). The car turned off as I was revering across the street, I had to put the car in park in order to restart the car. I restarted the car and drove it to the dealership, which they have never heard of this issue and said they could not get me in for an appointment until 12/15. On 12/14/2014, as I was driving down the road at ~25mph, my car started to act like it was going to quit, before I could pull off to the side of the road, the car turned off and said "press brake to start" I was able to get the car to the side of the road, as I did I put the car in park and tried to restart the car and it just kept rolling over and I had to push the start button to get it to stop, as I did, the brakes and steering wheel locked and I had to have the car towed to the dealership. The dealership had the car for 3 days, could not find an issue. I filed a complaint with Ford and they have closed my case saying there is not an issue. It is now at a 2nd dealership where they can not find an issue. I have been told by Ford to continue driving my car until the issue happens again, which is a major concern for my personal and others safety as I am driving down the road. When the car quits, I have hardly any control over the vehicle and luckily I have been going at slow pace, but I do not feel safe driving this car and feel like Ford has given up on me. This car has been nothing but problems since I've had it with 9 recalls and now this issue, I am concerned that I am not the only person having this issue and would like to have the problem addressed before someone is in a serious accident. Updated 2/11/16

- Snover, MI, USA

Dec 262014

Fusion 4-cyl

Driving my car home from work today and a warning came on care display saying "power steering assist fault" came on steering was a little hard for a couple second and then light went off and steering return to normal. Had a happen before when park but didn't thank anything until today. Also have been coming out of garage and traction control light coming on and said fault before.

- Richmond, IN, USA

Dec 102014

On December 10th, I went to pull off and while I was in drive, a warning came up that said "steering assist failure." And my steering locked on me. Prior to this, I have made several complaints to Ford, informing them that over the last 6, my car has gotten increasingly louder and shakes terribly. They've ignored my concerns and dismissed me multiple times, stating that if nothing is found on the computer, they cannot do anything. In October, I refused to leave the service department until someone checked my concerns. Finally, a mechanic sat in my car and listened to the loud rattling noise. He said "that's not normal." Upon inspection, the mechanic said that he found 2 loose clips that attach to my fuel line. I was told that my entire fuel line needed to be replaced, but that the part was on back order. They said I needed to still drive my car despite the "loose clips. " I don't know how accurate their diagnosis is, but they said my part would finally be here on November 17, 2014. When I called again yesterday, they said it was still on back order! from what I'm reading about this steering wheel lock problem, it sounds like my prior concerns can all be related. Ford said they didn't have a recall for my steering wheel problem and asked me to drive my car there! I informed them that my steering wheel locked on me and that I did not feel safe! I'm furious at the way I have been treated as a customer and I feel like no one cares about my safety.

- Jersey City, NJ, USA

Nov 092014

The contact owned a 2013 Ford Fusion. While driving 5 mph, another vehicle slightly struck the driver side bumper of the contact's vehicle. The air bags failed to deploy. Twenty minutes later, a popping sound emitted from inside the steering wheel and smoke appeared from the dashboard. The vehicle shut off independently and the contact hastily exited the vehicle. The fire department was contacted and the firefighters had to rip apart the entire dashboard in order to extinguish the fire. The fire department was unable to determine the source of the fire. A police and fire report were filed. The vehicle was destroyed. The contact did not sustain any injuries. The manufacturer and dealer were made aware of the incident. The contact received a notification for NHTSA campaign number: 14V597000 (air bags, seat belts). The failure mileage was 15,000.

- Tampa , FL, USA

Oct 222014

Fusion 4-cyl

I was in a car accident with my 2013 Ford Fusion. There was a witness at the scene saying that there were sparks shooting from my car before the accident happened. He says it looked like a tire came off my car taking a right curve on a main road in the city the car did not turn I just went straight across 2 lanes of oncoming traffic.on tho the sidewalk and into a tree. I could not open the door to the car to get out 2 guys came over and noticed the car was on fire and pulled the driver side door open. I ended up in the hospital luckily no one else was hurt I live in london Ontario Canada......updated 12/15/15

- Detroit, MI, USA