CarComplaints.com Notes: Has the power steering started to show signs of failure in the 2014? Yeah, a little. Am I confident it will become a bigger problem over time? Yeah, a lot.

3.9

2014 Ford Fusion engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2014 Ford Fusion:

2014 Ford Fusion Owner Comments (Page 1 of 2)

Nov 112016

Fusion

The contact owns a 2014 Ford Fusion. While starting the vehicle, the engine stalled and the check engine indicator illuminated. The vehicle was able to restart, but began to shudder. The failure was persistent. The vehicle was taken to a dealer, but was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was approximately 60,000.

- Nashville, TN, USA

Oct 032016

Fusion

Repeated instances of the vehicles either stalling in motion or rough start and stalling in place

- Newton, NJ, USA

Sep 252016

Fusion

I bought a used 2014 Ford Fusion from our local Ford dealership with 34,000 miles on it, one owner, no history of any issues. As soon as I drove off the lot I could feel a hard shift between 2nd and 3rd and the engine revs up to 4500 before falling back down to around 2000. Then it's worse going from 3rd to 2nd when applying the brakes, the car jolts forward and the engine revs high as you apply the brakes. I've had the car for 3 days now and it has the worst transmission I've ever experienced. It's a very uncomfortable drive and I don't feel safe driving it when I know my car is going to shift so hard that the whole jerks forward. I've never been more unhappy with a car in my life.

- Mukilteo, WA, USA

Sep 232016

Fusion

While driving on the highway my 2014 Fusion cut off. A warning indicator popped up that said "transmission not in park". we had to coast off to the shoulder, fortunately there were no cars in the lane we had to cross to get to the shoulder. Later today (the same day) it happened a second time. The car loses all power. We were driving past the dealership we use, so we left the car with them to be fixed and have the oil changed. We will be waiting for the outcome the first of the week, but felt it necessary to report this since others have had the same issue.

- Chester, MD, USA

Jun 292016

Fusion

2014 Ford Fusion titanium 2.0 turbo 5/29/16 coming off freeway @ 70mph went to apply brakes and pedal was hard, unable to slow down on loop. I could have crashed and died due to this failure. Finally pushed pedal with a lot of effort and ABS kicked in to slow me down before the stop sign. Took to dealer on 5/30/16, diagnosis was vacuum pump failure, new part was ordered. 7/5/16 got a call from dealer shop manager who basically said the part would not be covered under warranty because there were metal shavings in the motor behind where the pump sits, claiming dirty oil caused premature engine wear. I went to the dealership to view what he was talking about. I could tell by spinning the pump that the bearings had failed, more than likely disintegrated and the shavings were sitting inside my engine. The manager asked the mechanic if that were possible and he replied yes. He said he replaced 3 recently with the same issue metal shavings behind pump. My car was also in for an oil change. The most irritating thing was being blamed for the problem, he stated my engine will fail and I should trade it in while I was talking on the phone with him prior to going to the dealership. I was blamed and he used scare tactics to try and get me to make a purchase. Never had this happen at a Ford dealer before. Still waiting for the call saying my car is repaired. The manger agreed to replace the pump under warranty

- Monroe, MI, USA

Mar 142016

Fusion

The contact owned a 2014 Ford Fusion. The contact stated that while in park, the contact noticed smoke and fire coming from the engine compartment of the vehicle. The contact did not sustain any injuries. The fire department was able to extinguish the fire. The vehicle was towed to an auto body repair center. The contact was unsure if the vehicle was diagnosed based on the failure. The vehicle was destroyed. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. In addition, the VIN was included in NHTSA campaign numbers: 14V597000 (air bags, seat belts) and 15V246000 (latches/locks/linkages). The failure mileage was 83,327.

- Hamilton, GA, USA

Mar 032016

Fusion

I was driving around when on three separate occasions the car lost power to the engine and there were no rpms and pressing gas pedal did not help. The only way to get the power back in the engine was to put car in neutral then back in drive at which point the car stuttered but at least I regained power to accelerator. This was especially dangerous as it happened while driving at normal speed and the car was no longer in my control

- West Orange, NJ, USA

Feb 192016

Fusion

Battery was initially not taking a charge, they said it was a defective module and replaced both the module and the rear back up camera which they said was draining the battery. In this case they had the car for 2 1/2 weeks before returning it to me.. about 4 days after I got it back the car started shuddering during a reverese position in a parking lot and died.. it started right up again.. the next day it lost all acceleration at a lower speed in stop and go traffic, once again it died but started right up again. It did this two more times once on the freeway the other time down the street from my home. Ford has had the car for 5 days (since 2/19/2016) now and says there is no codes or have been able to duplicate the problem..

- San Jose, CA, USA

Jan 052016

Fusion

Wether the car is cold or warm, everytime I drive, I get a hardshift between 2nd and 3rd gear. Also when I make a stop and try to accelerate, the car jerks from on the 1st gear. When I'm going on a downhill and let go of the gas pedal and slowly start braking, the would go from 2,000 RPM to 5,000 RPM while I have my foot on the brake. When I go to any gas station I can't leave the pump on auto because it would stop pumping, so I have to do it manually, in order to get a full tank.

- Antioch, CA, USA

Jan 222016

Fusion

I have started my car after being in a store for about 20 minutes. The car started and I placed in reverse to back out of a space and then placed into drive. Within a yard or two the car completely stopped. It then gave a message to press brake to start. This has happened five times in the last few days. The dealer said they cannot do anything unless they can experience the problem. If I start driving this car again and get into an accident then Ford will be at fault because they are aware of the issue.

- Randolph, MA, USA

Jan 202016

Fusion

Code P2111 throttle body, after acelaration wrench light came on and engine shut down to idling on 2 cylinders, nearly a accident happened, car only has 38,400 miles on it, I called Ford Motor Co. They offered no help, wow !!

- Franklin, NH, USA

Dec 202015

Fusion

I drive a 2014 Ford Fusion SE with a 1.6L ecoboost and a 6 spd manual transmission. It had approximately 40,500 miles at the time of the incident. Upon reaching a speed of 35-40 mph while accelerating (I shift at 2500 RPM's) I heard two chimes similar to the chimes the car makes when I start it. Once the chimes finished sounding my instrument panel went black except for the needles which all came to a rest into the "off" position". they still remained lit. I had no dashboard lights. My car lost power at the same time and the steering became slightly harder than normal. There was a very small amount of throttle response and then no response. I was able to coast onto a side street where the car completely went dead by the time I came to a stop. Before coming to a stop my brake pedal pushed down easier than normal. At some point before coming to a stop my check engine light came on and then went off once the car died. After staying stopped for a few seconds I restarted the car and continued driving with no issues since. When the car lost power and died there was no stuttering or stalling. The car shut itself off very smoothly. The next day I took the car to my local Ford dealer and they promptly looked at it. After conducting a computer diagnostic check I was informed that there had been a, ┐throttle body incident┐. I was also informed that it appeared that the air filter had not been properly seated into its housing when changed at the 30K mile maintenance interval. They conducted further pinpointing and located particles inside the throttle body which they cleaned off. The dealer updated the PCM and conducted a satisfactory road test. Since the incident I have put several hundred miles onto the car with no issues. I was fortunate this occurred on a road with light traffic and while not traveling at highway speed.

- Oak Island, NC, USA

Dec 092015

Fusion

While driving, the engine stalled unexpectedly. Several hours later, while parked and indling with the engiine on, it stalled again after appearing to have trouble at the low idle speed.

- Annville, PA, USA

Nov 082015

Fusion

I have a 2014 Ford Fusion with 31,252 miles. It was built in September 2013 and purchased on June 27, 2014. On November 8, 2015, the engine stopped while stationary at a stoplight on a city street. It restarted without incident after it was put into park. The ignition switch torque seems sufficient to keep the switch from turning off by itself. The electronic display stated that the vehicle was not in park.

- Bowie, MD, USA

Oct 302015

Fusion

The contact owns a 2014 Ford Fusion. While driving approximately 60 mph, the vehicle shook, overheated, and stalled. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 78,000.

- Wilson, NC, USA

Oct 172015

Fusion

We just purchased the car yesterday and so far we are having 2 issues. The first is the shifting of the gears when driving between first and second which can be rough. It feels like downshifting more than speed pick up. Also we were driving on the highway and our rear passenger tire blew out just like that and we nearly lost control of the vehicle. Very scary. Took the vehicle back to Ford to look into.

- Lauderhill, FL, USA

Sep 252015

Fusion

Engine or transmission knock. Steering knock from turning wheels all the way to the left and right. When in park, reverse, or neutral the knock behind the firewall is not heard. When it is in drive and stopped at a light or with the electronic ebrake on while the car is in drive there is a knock behind the firewall around the transmission area (location is close to the lower front of the center console area; where it is predominantly heard). It is not heard until you are in the car with the doors closed (no music on just the odd knock when stopped while in drive or in drive with the ebrake on). I had the engine checked for noise; mechanics at opelika Ford al stated it may be my fuel rail and fuel filter which may be causing cabling behind the firewall to rattle. If that is the case I should hear the hard knock while in reverse or park. They stated they tied both down including the cables to see if the noise subsided (took them ten minutes to do this which is quiet fast to access the fuel rail and filter when the area is tight to access in order to tie cables down). I also had the transmission checked; they stated nothing is wrong with transmission. I got it checked because of the knock and the transmission jerked hard into second and third gear. Also started to idle hard (this is around 21000 miles). They may have re-flashed the transmission but no mechanic came and spoke to me about it. I also asked for the transmission software to be updated. Not sure if they did that either. The car still idles a bit rough from time to time. The issue is still on going and I am in search of a "Ford certified mechanic" to actually show me what is wrong so it can be covered by warranty. Ford hq stated they do not keep track of information done on the cars it is local to the dealerships which is stupid. So how are their recalls done if they aren't required to keep track of problems?

- Smith Station , AL, USA

May 082015

Fusion

Trouble with transmission clutch assembly. Was told Ford put in manual clutch in automatic cars. Hesitation upon acceleration, rolls backward when in drive on incline, does not shift right, "chugs". purchased 2014 car in early 2015, used. Feel car sales business should have known and not sold car in this condition, or have had it fixed first. Per Ford service station, parts are on backlog for 3-4 months. Even though they tell me is it not a dangerous condition, I feel it is dangerous on highway when trying to pass and not getting enough acceleration.

- St Louis, MO, USA

Feb 132015

Fusion

The contact owns a 2014 Ford Fusion. The contact stated that while driving at various speeds, exhaust fumes emitted into the vehicle. The vehicle was taken to a dealer. The technician stated that the vehicle was operating as designed. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 10,000.

- Garden City, MI, USA

Jan 152015

Fusion 4-cyl

Driving down the road around 35-40 mph coming up to a light, the vehicle started to accelerate by itself, had to hit the brakes, thankfully it stopped. My wife was driving and was not using cruise control. The weather outside was cold. This is the first time this has happened. I hope it is the last. This is a Ford Fusion hybrid with the 2.0 L engine. Being a hybrid there is no spare tire. They have run flat tires. If you get a flat tire late at night and cell phone service is bad you are in trouble. I hope this never happens to someone.

- Brighton, MI, USA