2016 Ford Fusion engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2016 Ford Fusion:

2016 Ford Fusion Owner Comments

Sep 212016

The vehicle starts running rough, steering becomes loose, the wrench light comes on with the message 'check owners manual', then the engine stalls. This happens when the car is in motion. It has happened twice at low speed ~35 mph and once at high speed ~70 mph. We have had it in the Ford dealer twice. The first time they said there was no code so they couldn't do anything. The second time they said they reprogrammed the PCM with a recall 16B32. I will drop it off this morning for the 3rd time.

- Wentzville, MO, USA

Sep 182016

I have a 2016 Ford Fusion that I purchased in February of this year. It has lost power four times in the last three days that I have driven it, twice in rush hour traffic heading to and from dallas for work. A wrench will show up on the dashboard, a message saying "see manual" will pop up, and the vehicle fails to accelerate. I cannot pull the vehicle over out of the way of oncoming traffic because it will not accelerate at all. I've taken the car into the dealership twice. The first time was this past Monday. I was told that the vehicle needed a software update and a new throttle body and that the car would be fine afterwards. On my way home yesterday, during rush hour traffic on a busy four lane highway work no shoulder to pull off on because of constriction, my vehicle lost power again. I was able to turn the car off and on and make it to the dealership. They replaced another part and once again told me that the issue was fixed. My issue is not with the dealership, it is with Ford Motor Company. I have contacted them twice regarding my vehicle and I have yet to receive a callback. I purchased this vehicle brand new. The issue is a known issue to Ford, but there has yet to be a recall. Do I have to die in my vehicle on 35E in an accident before someone does something about this? I'm afraid to put my children in this vehicle as it puts my family's and my life in imminent and substantial danger. Please help me with this I issue. I can't continue to drive this vehicle.

- Carrollton, TX, USA

Sep 142016

While driving down the highway in congested traffic the vehicle suddenly lost all engine power. The engine and car started shaking and the engine idled back and forth between 1000 and 2500 RPM's. a message appeared on the information screen "see manual". the car had no acceleration at all and I had to coast through several lanes of traffic to the shoulder. All electrical remained working. Just no engine power at all. I shut the vehicle off and started it back up, it struggled to start at first. While driving to the Ford dealership for repairs the same problem occurred twice more. During normal driving. No intense acceleration. Cruising traffic at around 65 mph. It was a very dangerous situation to loose all accelerator power in the middle oft of a 5 lane highway. I had several close calls trying to drift across lanes of traffic as I did not want to use the break and come to a complete stop in the middle of the highway. I was very afraid there would be a crash. Several of my coworkers that have the same vehicle have had very similar issues with their vehicles. Driving and sudden power loss. Luckily no injuries or crashes to date. Apparently there is a recall for the throttle body but our fleet company element never received a recall notice, nor passed that onto us.

- Alhambra, CA, USA

Sep 032016

This is an issue that has grown. I have documented proof that dates back to March 2016. This issue is an escalation of old problem that Ford refuses to acknowledge is an issue. I say this because there is no current recall on this issue. On 9/03/2016, I was driving on West Georgia rd in simponville SC when all if a sudden the car jerked. Then a wrench and check engine light came on. I car started to lose power. Luckily, no car was trailing behind us or I'm sure it would have ran into the back of us. I say this because my foot was on the gas pedal so a car behind me would not have known to slow down til too late. I had just taken my car to the dealership the week befor for a second time due to car stalling right after a take off from a stop. Each time to be told nothing is wrong and the check engine light be turned off. Each time service person says bring it back if check engine light starts blinking or has a red dot because something then is wrong. After this incident I make a formal complaint to Ford. A manager calls me and I return her call. She asks about what happened and I tell her. I also tell her Ford had an issue. It's dangerous to drive a car that at anytime may lose acceleration while driving and cause an accident. I pray this doesn't happen to my family. I bought this car after researching it was just as good as a Toyota or Honda. She suggests I take it to a different dealership which I say I already have plans to. But she also say to have a technician ride with me to give pointers on how to drive to avoid the stalls. My experience was not a stall. It was a list of power while driving a car I purchased new less than a year ago. The 2nd dealership says it's a throttle body issue. It can be repaired but appointment not til 21st. Plus no loaner car. I have to work to live and par for that car. Ford needs a recall before there's a death.

- Greenville, SC, USA

Aug 182016

2016 Ford Fusion, 2.5L engine, 10,500 miles. While driving straight on a two lane road, constant speed, 55mph, I experienced a sudden loss of power followed by the engine stalling. Although there were cars behind me I was able to pull over to the shoulder. The 'check engine' light turned on, I cycled the ignition and was able to drive the vehicle once again, although the check engine light was still on. After stopping for a brief period, I continued on my journey home engine light still on. When accelerating onto the expressway into rush hour traffic, I once again experienced a sudden loss of power followed by stalling of the engine. Fortunately I was able to get the car to the right shoulder. I recycled the ignition again and it occurred to me that I could drive the car without stalling only by pushing the throttle very lightly. I got the car home and took it to the dealer the next day using very light throttle application. Dealer verified issue and replaced the electronic throttle body: "verified stalling and check engine light. Ids retrieve code P2112, performed ppt dv, replaced throttle body per ppt. Cleared code and retest. System passed"

- Commerce Township, MI, USA

Aug 262016

Fusion 4-cyl

My 18 year old daughter was driving the Fusion attempting to enter a highway ramp (route 22 in springfield NJ) to go dorm shopping for school. Upon entering the highway and accelerating on the ramp the vehicle stalled and became unresponsive to acceleration while pressing down in the pedal. The vehicle behind her began to accelerate; the Fusion then lost all power, the vehicle stuck her in the rear and pushed my daughters Fusion into an active lane with traffic traveling at 55 mph and up. There was minor aesthetic damage to the Fusion. But that is not my concern in the least! the Fusion was stuck on an active high speed highway, my daughter could or should have easily been seriously injured or killed! this is the demarcation of a near miss! the check engine light came on with the ¿wrench icon¿ the vehicle had to be towed to a local dealer. Then there are 100's of articles pertaining to injuries and fatalities due faulty throttle bodies! Ford sales failed to mention that during the sale! I stopped at Ford service this morning to advise them of the details of the incident and the service advisor stated ¿ah yeah gotta be the throttle body¿ ¿happens all the time¿ ¿there was a bad batch¿!

- Springfield, NJ, USA

Aug 272016

The contact owns a 2016 Ford Fusion. While driving approximately 60 mph, the accelerator pedal was depressed and the vehicle failed to accelerate. The check engine and air bag warning indicators illuminated continuously. The vehicle came to a complete stop, shook, and stalled. The vehicle was able to restart. The dealer could not duplicate the failure. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was approximately 9,700.

- Chino Hills, CA, USA

May 262016

Lost all power to the vehicle while going 45 to 50 mph. Terrible situation to be in and would not want this to happen to others. Ford knows this is an issue and needs to deal with it better

- Coral Springs, FL, USA

Aug 122016

The contact owns a 2016 Ford Fusion. While driving approximately 65 mph, the vehicle decelerated and stalled. The wrench warning indicator illuminated and the vehicle shook violently. The contact had to coast the vehicle to the shoulder. The vehicle was towed to the dealer where it was diagnosed that the throttle body assembly failed and needed replacement. The vehicle was repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 10,900.

- Washington Crossing, PA, USA

Jun 272016

On a city street, my vehicle suddenly lost power--accelerator would not work. Car was shuddering. Warning light showing a wrench came on. Another warning light showing an engine also came. On. turned engine off. Drove a short distance, then the same thing happened again. Had vehicle towed to the Ford dealer. Ford replaced the throttle body & motor assembly under warranty.

- Lafayette, LA, USA

Jun 192016

On (3) separate occasions now my car has stalled out while driving on a street and given me the "wrench" check owners manual alert on the display. As I do all I can to get out of the line of traffic and off the the side of the road, the car sputters, shakes and stalls out. Turn off the key, wait a few seconds, open and close the door (so all electronics are off) and sometimes the check engine light comes on when it starts and it runs fine. Some times, it starts and shakes and sputters and stalls. On all occasions, I have eventually been able to get it to "limp" home. The last time (3rd time) I called Ford roadside assistance and had it towed to the dealer. The shop told me this is the 5th or 6th 2016 Ford car (Fusion, fiesta or Focus) this month with the same issue. 2nd Fusion and the one prior to mine had 400 miles on it! thinks it's either the throttle body or the throttle body positioning sensor. Has thrown codes P2111 and P2112. (one means flap is open, one means flap is closed) it's been 3 days and I have just been told I'm looking at another 6 at a minimum. (this is not the shop's fault in my opinion as they have been nothing but nice and considerate to me) don't know what the deal is but someone is going to get seriously hurt.

- Toronto, OH, USA

Jun 162016

My brand new Ford Fusion shut down on me in the middle of a busy highway in atlanta! I was driving and all of a sudden it slowed down and wouldn't allow me to press the gas. The vehicle started shaking very badly and I had to find a way to steer the car all the way over to the side of the highway. This was the worse and most frightening experience that I have ever had in my life! I was told that this problem was due to a throttle body issue. I am very disappointed with Ford.

- Lawrenceville, GA, USA

Jun 122016

I was on the interstate. All of a sudden a wrench and the words see manual appeared. The car would not give gas (slowly cut off), and car started shaking. Waited about 6 minutes and got back on the road only for it to continue to happen every few miles. I got a diagnostic check done and mechanic told me the code said it was the throttle body. The car is fairly new with a little over 10,000 miles.

- Henderson, NC, USA

May 312016

Traveling on interstate 66 vehicle check engine light came one and message said see service manual. Lost of speed, no acceleration, and stalled out. Moved over on shoulder of interstate during rush hour. Towed to dealership. Throttle body had to be replaced. Car is just 6 months old bought it brand new. 10,000 miles on the car and this piece of equipment already goes out. See this has been an issue in the past. Need to reopen the investigation on getting rid of the electronic throttle body.

- Warrenton, VA, USA

Apr 232016

This car had approx 2400 at the time of incident. My wife and I were driving the car down a steep grade on 4/23/16 the car chimed 4 0R 5 times. I asked my wife if she knew what the sound was and she said no. About 5 to 10 seconds later I told my wife that the car was not running. And I looked at the dash and it was blank. I quickly put the car in neutral and started the car. It turned on. I continued driving about 300 miles after this incident. I brought the car to madison Ford in Ohio to be looked at. They couldnt find any codes. They sent me home with the car. They called me back on tues and said bring the car back. This time they found 6 codes. But to my knowledge nothing stating the problem. They drove the car 60 miles or so and said the car was fine. I called classic Ford in mentor oh and talked to the service advisor and informed him I was bringing the car there to be serviced. The advisor said he wouldnt be working 4/29 and he would inform the service mgr of the problem. Icalled Friday and spoke to mark the mgr. He said he talked to the people at madison Ford. He told me to bring the car in Monday May 2 but we are going to do the same thing and if we cant find anything then theres nothing we can do for you. Well I asked him if madison told him the car shut down going down a hill and his reply was uh no. Today May 1 I started the car and let it run for 3 mins and with my wife in the car pulled down the driveway and it shut off again. No check engine warning or anything. After the first incident my wife said I wouldve been killed because I wouldnt have known to do what you did. These are serious life threatening issues and my wife and do not feel safe in this car. Especially when they tell me theres nothing wrong with this car.

- Perry, OH, USA

Apr 142016

Last week my car engine would shut off without warning when I was at a stop light and idle about to turn onto road. This happened twice so I took my car where I purchased at ryan Ford sealy and they had it 4/6-12/2016. They couldn't find anything because no codes or light came up. Ran vehicle health check and nothing. Acted fine yesterday. Today going right under 30 mpg and at the stop sign it shook bad and lights came on. Engine stayed on but could not move. Waited 15 minutes and limped to my house and had tow truck take it back to ryan Ford. Determined and replaced throttle body.

- Katy, TX, USA

Mar 072016

2016 Ford Fusion received from dealer on Dec 2015. At 39 miles on the odometer, Fusion would not start, and all alarms came on (low tire pressure, engine overheat, parking brake, parking sensors, etc). Car started after hitting ok and several more cranks. Feb 2015 - at about 2500 miles, the car would not start for the second time, and the third time was at 3000 miles, all with the same exact alarm behavior. The fourth time occurred on March 7, 2016 with 3200 miles on odometer; the car died in the middle of the highway and while going 45mph in rush hour traffic. There was no engine power, no steering power, no power brakes, nothing but alarms. I was fortunate to not be in an accident. The Ford dealership has taken the car in twice with absolutely no repairs and no reported diagnostic codes. Ford has experienced the same intermittent starting issues with the car in their possession, but they refused to conduct long-term diagnosis because they simply were not able to isolate the problem. This is the third time it's going into the dealer and now it's a safety issue because the car loses power while in operation.

- Chicago, IL, USA