2010 Ford Fusion Hybrid drivetrain problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2010 Ford Fusion Hybrid:

2010 Ford Fusion Hybrid Owner Comments (Page 1 of 2)

Sep 252016

Fusion Hybrid

The contact owns a 2010 Ford Fusion hybrid. While driving 55 mph, the vehicle decelerated and the power train warning indicator illuminated. The contact took the vehicle to the dealer to repair the throttle body; however, the contact was informed that the repair was not part of a recall and was outside of the extended warranty due to the vehicle being a hybrid. The contact was inquiring about reimbursement eligibility. The failure mileage was 37,500.

- Athens, GA, USA

Sep 142016

Fusion Hybrid

Driving on a highway my car went from 65 mph to 30-35 unexpectedly. It would not respond to the gas peddle at all and a large orange wrench icon appeared on dashboard. Luckily I was able to get to the shoulder and restart the car. I called Ford and was told this was a known issue but a recall was not issued due to it being a "non critical" issue. They also said this particular issue was tested on the hybrid model but not found to be a problem. They told me Ford did offer an extended warranty for this issue for non-hybrid Ford Fusion, but since I was a hybrid owner I was out of luck. I had to pay $400 to have my car repaired for their known issue. When I called Ford customer support I was treated very rudely and was told that "the NHTSA did a thorough investigation and the hybrid was not found to have this issue and that this particular issue was not critical". it's not critical now since no one got killed/hurt. It was luck I was able to get off the highway without issue. I'm now afraid to drive this car for fear this will happen again. I hope something is done about this before someone does get hurt or worse as a result of this "non critical" issue. There are many websites for this issue:

- Winter Garden, FL, USA

Aug 232016

Fusion Hybrid

The contact owns a 2010 Ford Fusion hybrid. While driving various speeds, the contact heard an abnormal noise coming from the engine. The contact stated that the vehicle failed to accelerate normally and was very sluggish. The power train warning indicator illuminated on the instrument panel. After restarting the vehicle, the failure would go away, but would recur shortly afterwards. The failure was intermittent. The vehicle was not diagnosed nor repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 131,000.

- Miami, FL, USA

Jul 292016

Fusion Hybrid

July 29, 2016 driving home from work I was driving uphill when I noticed the car losing power, no amount of pushing down on the accelerator made a difference. The car did not stall but it could not gain momentum. The service engine light came on. I had to stop in the right lane because there was no shoulder and the engine had started making a very loud/rough sound. I waited 5 min and started the car again. Everything looked fine, the indicator light had cleared and engine sounded normal. I drove the rest of the way home without incident. Over the weekend the car operated normally. On Monday 8/1/2016 on my way to work the problem started again. The car remained operational but couldn't go more than 20-30 mph. The hybrid battery would drain very quickly and the regeneration motor ran constantly and sometime very rough. I managed to drive it to my mechanic. His diagnostic report showed a P2112 code (throttle body stuck closed). He proposed cleaning the valve as a first step but he didn't think that would fix the problem. We tried that but two days later the problem came back. My mechanic advised that while he could replace the etb, he was not equipped to calibrate it and that only Ford could do this work. He also told me that while researching the problem he'd come across information that my problem might be covered by an extended warranty. I called Ford about the extended warranty and they told me that hybrids are not covered by the warranty. It seems to me that NHTSA dropped the ball on this if the same problem is happening to hybrid owners as is to non-hybrid owners for vehicle models of the same years. My vehicle had about 58,700 miles when trouble started. No one I spoke to at Ford could tell me why hybrids are not covered by the etb extended warranty. Seems to me NHTSA needs to re-open their investigation on this issue!

- Alexandria, VA, USA

Aug 052016

Fusion Hybrid

The driver-side interior door latch stop working and I couldn't get out of the car! this malfunction happened in a very mundane manner. As I was doing regular errands, in and out of the car on Friday, August 5, 2016, on my third errand stop, the door latch broke. I really didn't notice a "snap" or any kind of "breaking sound." I don't know if the break occurred while I was driving or not. I was stopped/parked in shopping center parking lot when I noticed this problem. At first I panicked and was quite afraid. I called my boyfriend and he calmed me down and instructed me on how to simply roll down (electric) window and reach out and then open door from exterior. Then, he told me to roll window up by leaving ignition on and. This worked. So I been using my car like this until I could get it fixed. I did some research and learned of the thousands of door latch recalls on other Ford Fusion models. When I called Ford they said my model year, 2010, is not included in the recall. I will only have to pay $100 deductible because repair is covered under extended warranty. I don't think I should have to pay anything since Ford knows they are having various door latch msl functions. This is my complaint. I close by saying that I have really loved my Ford Fusion hybrid and considering getting newer or new model. However, I believe, given the thousands of problems with door latches, given the safety issues, Ford should replace them all. There is no attachment as a photo wouldn't demonstrate the malfunction.

- Doral, FL, USA

Jul 172016

Fusion Hybrid

Sudden power steering shutoff. I was driving out of my parking lot when the steering wheel got very stiff I couldn't turn the car and I almost hit the car next to me. I tried turning the car on and off to clear the error since there is not apparent cause to the issue. According to my research, there is a recall for this problem for many Ford models but the 2010 Fusion aren't included.

- Philadelphia, PA, USA

Jul 052016

Fusion Hybrid

Driving from dallas to austin and with about 60 miles left, the yellow wrench warning light came on in the car. I pulled over as soon as I could to see what the light indicated. The manual said it was a throttle control power train malfunction. I turned off the car and waited a bit. When I turned the car on, the light did not come on again, but I am concerned the car will become un-drivable. I see that this is a common problem... too common. Is there a recall yet?

- Austin, TX, USA

Jun 022016

Fusion Hybrid

My daughter has her learner's permit and was driving my Ford Fusion hybrid on a 45 mph street. The wrench light came on and the car would not accelerate as she was driving up a hilly part of the street. Cars began honking and passing and my daughter became extremely nervous. Thankfully, we were not involved in a car accident but she was quite shaken by the incident. I took the vehicle to the Ford dealership to have it repaired and was advised this was not a recall even though there are several thousand complaints and issues. I had to have the throttle body replaced which is apparently a defective part. I don't understand why there isn't a recall for this defect. I understand the NHTSA considers safety a huge factor when recalling parts. However, the part is clearly defective and has cost consumers greatly. Please reconsider recalling or at least subsidizing the payment for those affected by this defective part.

- Chesapeake, VA, USA

May 202016

Fusion Hybrid

When operating the car on the freeway, the car suddenly lost power and only could achieve 45 mph in spite of the accelerator being floored. When eventually stopped, the engine would surge and shudder periodically. The check engine light came on. Pulling the trouble code revealed P2112 which is a throttle body error.

- Sunnyvale, CA, USA

Aug 232015

Fusion Hybrid

When driving a long period of time 100-300 miles the wrench will appear. After pulling off and letting it sit for about 30 minutes it goes off, only to come back on after driving another 100-300 miles.

- Rockford, OH, USA

Aug 312015

Fusion Hybrid

While driving at speed car suddenly slows with a jerk. A wrench light comes on the dash. Throttle control/powertrain malfunction light and engine light illuminates. Car goes into "limp mode". can't go over low speeds. Car is unsafe to drive.

- Woodland Hills, CA, USA

Jul 302015

Fusion Hybrid

Driving at highway speeds, normal operation, in sunny conditions when I lost acceleration ability and was only able to coast. The yellow wrench indicator came on (no check engine light). I was fortunate enough to move to the should safely since there was limited traffic on the highway and I was driving in the right lane. I cycled the car off and on and was able to resume normal operation. This same situation happened twice more in city driving before I could get into the dealer for an appointment. Eventually the dealer evaluated the vehicle and replaced the electronic throttle body.

- Ann Arbor, MI, USA

Aug 032015

Fusion Hybrid 4-cyl

After switching the gear shift from the park position, I immediately noticed my brakes failed and my vehicle began rolling forward. The vehicle stopped after placing a substantial amount of pressure on the brakes. After turning the vehicle on and off the two symptoms went away. Later that day the same issue happened for the second time while my vehicle was stationary. The third time that this issue occurred I was driving on a highway and almost went into opposing traffic. The service light turns off after restarting the car but returns later that day. Updated 9/28/15 the consumer stated in addition to the brakes, there was an issue with the advanced track system. Updated 10/13/15

- Federal Way, WA, USA

May 172015

Fusion Hybrid

My wife and I were driving home on the NJ turnpike doing about 70-75 mph and a wrench popped up the the screen. We have 2 sons 1 is 22 months old and the other is 5 months old. I proceeded to look into the owners manual to see what it was and it showed throttle malfunction please contact the dealership. Being it was a Sunday May 17, 2015 and Ford service centers are closed on Sunday I looked into it online and saw there were numerous complaints made. My wife began to panic and doesn't want to drive the car. I just called Ford at 800-392-3673 and I was told that there is nothing on the Ford Fusion hybrid with this issue and that I would have to come out of pocket because my car doesn't have a warranty anymore to call the Ford dealership and have it taken care of and if anything comes down for the hybrid then I may get reimbursed.

- Belleville, NJ, USA

Mar 122015

Fusion Hybrid

Gas engine sputtering and essentially no power when stepped on accelerator. Turned car off/on, still sputtering and the check engine light came on. Able to limp back to garage. Two hours later engine running but check engine light still on. Initially at mechanics running ok, but then sputtered for them as well. System check suggested issue with fuel injectors, though given other reports of throttle body problems will need to further investigate.

- East Longmeadow, MA, USA

Aug 172014

Fusion Hybrid

The wrench light came on and after taking it in to the dealer I was advised that it was the throttle body and motor assembly. The dealer advised that if I didn't replace the part the engine could stop at some unknown time in the future. He also advised that Ford had a lot of problems with this part and that a recall had been done for this part for other Ford vehicles but not yet for the Ford Fusion. He advised to keep the bill just in case there was a future recall. When the dealer is telling you that multiple problems are coming from this specific part I think there should probably be an investigation of this matter.

- Miami, FL, USA

Sep 172014

Fusion Hybrid

Vehicle wrench indicator lit while driving three times during this week. Dealer said they were unable to find any fault. I drove the car an additional 30 miles and the wrench light came on again, at which time I had to limp to the dealer with a maximum speed of 40 mph. This is a safety hazard and should be a recall by Ford. This is a common problem for Ford Fusion and Ford has issued a recall for most Fusion models except hybrid electric vehicles. A motor is still a motor and this problem is a safety hazard and needs to be addressed. This was covered under our vehicles esp extended warranty program at a deductible cost of $100. Most people would not react well to having their vehicles stall out when driving at interstate speeds and be limited (while accelerator floored) to 40 mph. Dealer stated that they replace a lot of the throttle body component very often. The cost of this is usually, $500-$600.

- Noblesville, IN, USA

Aug 142014

Fusion Hybrid

I was driving at about 30 mph when a yellow wrench light icon came on. The car stopped accelerating, and it seemed like only the electrical power from the battery was keeping it going. I had just exited a busy freeway where people were going 65 mph and higher, and if I had not just happened to exit I fear I would have had an accident.

- Austin, TX, USA

Jul 312014

Fusion Hybrid

Car lost power steering both while parked and when driving. Replacement cost was $2200 including realignment.

- Chicago , IL, USA

Jun 112014

Fusion Hybrid

Driving down the highway at 55 mph, the car suddenly lost power and started decelerating. A wrench light came on in the dashboard. I pulled the car onto the shoulder of the road and turned it off for a few minutes. When I restarted the car it seemed fine so I continued to drive toward my destination. Almost fifteen miles later the car suddenly lost power again and this time I was traveling on a two lane road going about 40 mph. This time the wrench light came on as well as the check engine light. After pulling over and restarting the car this time the check engine light stayed on for the next day or two. We took the car to the Ford dealership a few days later after this occurred four times in two weeks. We learned there was a recall on the electronic throttle body that causes this problem for the Ford Fusion but not for the hybrid version. This part is not part of the hybrid system and should be replaced on all hybrids as well as regular Fusion. We paid $509 for the repair.

- Ewing, VA, USA