2.2

2010 Ford Fusion Hybrid electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2010 Ford Fusion Hybrid:

2010 Ford Fusion Hybrid Owner Comments

Oct 292016

Fusion Hybrid

This is the third time our car will be going to the dealership for a serious brake issue. The first time it occurred was in September of 2015. The vehicle was in motion on a residential street when the car brakes stopped functioning as usual. The driver had to slam on the brakes to get the car to stop. The check brake and service lights came on. The brakes no longer functioned properly. The dealer was unable to replicate the issue. It happened again in may of 2016 when the car started in the driveway. An independent mechanic was able to replicate the problem, which was printed out and taken to the Ford dealership. The dealership was able to isolate the problem this time and fix it. The car was functional again. Today, the issue happened yet again. As the car started while stationary, the car dinged and the check brake and system lights came on. Fearing a user error, the driver restarted the car and it seemed fine. As the driver drove down the residential block, the brakes became unresponsive and the system lights came back on. The driver had to press very hard on the brakes to avoid running a stop sign and into oncoming traffic on a neighboring street. The car was towed to the dealer.

- Austin, TX, USA

Sep 212016

Fusion Hybrid

The contact owns a 2010 Ford Fusion hybrid. While driving approximately 45 mph, the vehicle stalled and the wrench warning indicator illuminated. The contact coasted the vehicle to the side of the road. The vehicle restarted normally and was taken to the dealer the following day, but was not diagnosed. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 75,000.

- Chepel Hill, NC, USA

Sep 042016

Fusion Hybrid

Driving on highway w/ cruise control engaged at 65 mph speed. Suddenly car loses complete acceleration & propulsion ability, resulting in car to slow down rather suddenly. I was able to pull onto off ramp in my case, but if I was in a different location, I would have definitely been in a very dangerous situation/serious accident. I turned off vehicle and restarted the vehicle a few minutes later. Proceeded to the highway again, experienced the problem again, this time I was only able to pull over to the left shoulder, which was quite narrow to begin with."wrench symbol" appeared the second time and stayed on with check engine light on. Car was unsafe to drive further. The check engine trouble shooting codes I had were P2111 and P2112. Cause of this issue is known to Ford motor but they refuse to include hybrid cars in their "consumer satisfaction program 13N03". throttle body control module senor, including the entire assembly is defective as Ford has agreed to replace this on millions of cars across various model years, including the Fusion 2010, but not Fusion hybrid versions. Ford states they will not repair problem that I experienced recently under this established program which NHTSA was proponent for. The defective part in question is the throttle body assembly and sensor which is no different than the part in the non-hybrid version for the same model year. Real hazard to driver and I was lucky that I was not rear ended as a result or in a serious car accident from this known defective part. Ford motor must be required to notify all affected owners who will/have experienced this problem to have it repaired at their expense, as this is a serious safety issue that must be taken seriously given number of vehicles that are involved that will experience this. I experienced this at mileage of 75K but I have read that others have had this happen at much lower mileage.

- Annapolis, MD, USA

Aug 132016

Fusion Hybrid

My 2010 Fusion hybrid began a no-start/stalling condition. It has happened six times now. First occurrence was after fueling at low speed after entering street. Second occurrence was while traveling on the highway at 55 mph. Third occurrence was while exiting the interstate. Fourth occurrence was at low speed. Fifth occurrence was immediately after refueling while still in parking lot. And sixth occurence was also immediately after refueling just after leaving gas station at low speed. Four of the six occurrences was a failure for the internal combustion engine to start after the electric motor had already began moving the vehicle. The other two occurrences was while coasting. In all instances there would be a red triangle warning message to pull over safely, no codes were thrown according to the engineering report, no issues reported via the vehicle health report, the vehicle was traveling in a mostly level and straight line, and the vehicle would usually reset and run normally after the first or second attempt at restarting once the vehicle was pulled over.

- Fairbanks, AK, USA

Jun 112016

Fusion Hybrid

I was driving the car about 60 mph on the highway when I saw a big red triangle on the display saying "pull over and stop safely" and the car slowed down dramatically. I did that and turned off the engine. I restarted the car. This occurred 8 more times before I got home (15 miles later). When I got home, I noticed that the car's fan was running very high for several minutes. It finally stopped.

- Springfield, VA, USA

Jan 202016

Fusion Hybrid

While driving, the driver side seat heater becomes so hot that I thought I was being burned. I detected an unfamiliar odor, but assumed it was another vehicles fumes. Had to turn off the heater. Attempted to use on a few other occasions, thinking that I was being overly sensitive. Upon my last attempt, the indicator lights would illuminate as normal, but would shut off a few seconds later. The heater is no longer working. The passenger side is working normally, but has not been used as frequently as the driver side. Researched and this seemingly is a known issue. Contacted Ford 800-392-3673 and the representative stated that she has heard of this issue, but there is not a recall for this known issue. My case was documented, and the rep stated that I would incur the cost to have the repair done at this time. Hmmmmmmm. I guess it will take numerous serious personal injuries being reported before this issue is formally addressed. I must say that overall, I do love the Fusion !!!

- Ventura, CA, USA

Oct 272015

Fusion Hybrid

Was on highway driving 60 mph when various brake warning started flashing on dashboard. Warning said I needed to stop immediately. I slowed down but brakes were not responsive. I managed to find an uphill exit and got the car to stop safely. I turned the car off, restarted it, and the problem disappeared. I have owned this car since Feb. 2010 and have never had this problem before. The car has about 80,000 miles on it.

- La Crescenta, CA, USA

Sep 022015

Fusion Hybrid

The contact owns a 2010 Ford Fusion hybrid. While driving 20 mph and attempting to accelerate, the vehicle failed to drive over 25 mph. The vehicle lost power and the check engine warning light illuminated. The vehicle was able to restart. The vehicle was taken to the dealer, but was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 59,000. The VIN was not available.

- South Jordan , UT, USA

Jul 262015

Fusion Hybrid

During highway speeds, the car suddenly decelerated to around 20 mph and showed the check engine light which later scanned to be the dtc P2112 throttle actuator control system stuck closed. The NHTSA has action number PE13003 which is the same issue and was closed. Ford has issued a csp 13N03 but it does not include my VIN number but should. I called Ford and they confirmed that my VIN is not included but gave no reason why.

- Peoria, IL, USA

Jan 262015

Fusion Hybrid

The key got stuck in the ignition and could not be removed when car in park and shut off. Brought to a mechanic and appears the shifter is getting the signal to the ignition the car is in park and as such can't remove the key. Shifter not available for several weeks, the key did come out 3 weeks later. $500 to repair.

- East Longmeadow, MA, USA

Mar 062013

Fusion Hybrid

The contact owns a 2010 Ford Fusion hybrid. The contact stated that the power steering assist failed. The contact also stated that the power steering and advance trac warning light illuminated. As a result, the contact had to use excessive force to maneuver the vehicle. The vehicle was taken to a dealer where the technician diagnosed that the software needed to be updated. The vehicle was repaired but the failure recurred. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 65,109.

- Callicoon, NY, USA

Jun 132014

Fusion Hybrid

Warnings to "service power steering" and to "service traction control" started blinking alternatively on the dash board while driving. After the car was shut off, all power steering was lost. Had to replace the steering track at about $1500 personal cost because vehicle is out of warranty. Within four weeks of replacement of the steering shaft the same warnings came on the dash again and the car has lost its power steering again after the cut was turned off. While supposedly this replacement shaft is under warranty (because it is only 4 weeks old), the towing and other costs are not. It appears both the original and replacement shafts are defective and dangerous and should be recalled and replaced at the cost of Ford, not the owner. (Ford already has numerous other models recalled for power steering problems.) a request for some form of follow up is pending with Ford, but no ownership of the issue has been made.

- Meredith, NH, USA

Nov 012013

Fusion Hybrid 4-cyl

New warning each time I start the car, cross traffic system fault, and check rear park aid. Both safety systems not working. Paid dealer $100 to diagnose. Top rear center speaker malfunctioning. $450 for part plus 3 hours labor. Not covered under basic warranty or extended warranty I purchased with vehicle. Have found numerous other owners online with the same issue. Is Ford going to wait for a Fusion owner to back over someone before they fix the problem?

- Arlington, VA, USA

Oct 192013

Fusion Hybrid 4-cyl

Started car. Put car into reverse and started going back. Dash light came on reading "stop car safely" and car completely shut off. Was not able to use gas at all.

- Lancaster, CA, USA

Oct 082013

Fusion Hybrid 4-cyl

Car wrench light cam on upon starting the car. The electric hybrid system took off on its own and cruised at 30mph without any pressure on the accelerator. Very dangerous that the car will accelerate without touching the gas pedal. I cruised down a vacant stretch of road for 5 minutes at 30mph without touching the gas pedal. The hybrid system kicked in and has a mind of it's own. Very creepy. I will see if it is the throttle body but mine is a hybrid and it may be a little different this should be addressed by Ford asap.

- Williamsville, NY, USA

Jun 192013

Fusion Hybrid 4-cyl

The car stalls at varied speeds which is a huge safety issue. I owned a 2010 Ford Fusion previously with my company fleet vehicle program, and had the same problem. I brought the car to the dealership and it was fixed without question. At that time I was unaware of this being part of a bigger problem. In the fall of 2011, I purchased a different 2010 Ford Fusion from our fleet as it was being turned in, and this is the vehicle that I am discussing in this forum. It only has 30000 miles on it, but is 6 months out of the 36 month bumper to bumper warranty. The car stalled once, a month ago, and the problem seemed to rectify itself. Then yesterday, 6/19/2013, it stalled 6 times. My 17 year old daughter drives the car and was stuck in the middle of a very busy intersection. For almost one minute, the car would not restart, but finally did, and she was able to get out of the intersection. As I read the forums, it is obvious to me that this is a nationwide problem, looking back, I've had 2 cars with the identical problem. The service men at the dealership know that the problem is specific to the throttlebody, which is defective, and there is over a week backlog on the parts as more and more cars are having the same issue. This is a dangerous problem, to lose power to a vehicle in motion and Ford is aware of this issue, yet they are taking no steps in addressing the issue. It is going to cost me $600 to have the part replaced, as it is outside the 3 year warrant, yet Ford knows that this was a model wide issue with a defective car part. I am disappointed and angry that a glaring problem such as this is not being addressed due to Ford attempting to let the problem hopefully just fade away and not be taken to task over this issue. I pray that the NHTSA will step in, right a wrong, and in the process prevent a tragic accident before it becomes a reality.

- Arlington, TX, USA

Apr 032013

Fusion Hybrid 4-cyl

Just got the car home from the dealer and 1 week after they updated the computer for the same problem again today. Driving the car, wrench light comes on then car idles and goes limp does not go over 40 mph and the hybrid signal would not go over 20 on the screen with the leaves. Took the car home and then engine light comes on towed back to same dealer who stated it needs a 425 dollar throttle valve that I said it needed last week and was told my car does not have one. These cars should last better than 60 000 miles without a major powertrain problem that is not covered under the warrenty. I love the features and style of this car but I see large repairs in the future so trade in here I come.

- Jupiter, FL, USA