2010 Ford Fusion Hybrid engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2010 Ford Fusion Hybrid:

2010 Ford Fusion Hybrid Owner Comments (Page 1 of 2)

May 052016

Fusion Hybrid

My 2010 Ford Fusion hybrid experienced identical symptoms (twice) to those of customer satisfaction program 13N03 however the hybrid version of the Ford Fusion is not included in the program (Ford claims it does not have the issue). I first had the issue in August 2015. I was driving on I-40 in raleigh, going up a slight hill when I noticed the car wasn't going, it was just decelerating no matter how much I pressed the gas. Very scary on a high speed interstate in the middle lane. The two wrench lights came on. I was able to żlimp homeż. when we got to the Ford dealer, the wrench lights were no longer on. The dealer claimed Ford Fusion hybrids did not have the etb problem. We asked them to drive the car around, which they did, and couldn't reproduce the problem. They said there was nothing they could do unless I came in with the problem happening. The problem didn't surface again until almost 10,000 miles later. This time I was on a lower speed road, so initially it wasn't quite as scary; however after the experience at the dealer last time, I wanted to get to the Ford dealer while the problem was occurring. This required me to drive in the pouring rain, on a 55 mph road, where going up the hill my speed dropped to 15 mph the dealer did pull the codes, and was able to confirm the P2112 code, throttle stuck open. I had to pay for repairs, and Ford refuses to reimburse me.

- Apex, NC, USA

Oct 072016

Fusion Hybrid

While driving on the highway 70 mph speed limit the car stop accelerating and slowed down to the equivalent of driving in "cruise control" at 30 mph. A yellow wrench warning light turned on. Took car to Ford dealer and they felt problem was consistent with a throttle part problem and they recommended replacing the part which I did and fixed the problem. Of note, by the time I had the car towed to Ford dealer (day after incident) the warning light was off and Ford dealer said that the car system had no record of event.

- Jacksonville, FL, USA

Sep 252016

Fusion Hybrid 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2010 Ford Fusion hybrid. While driving 55 mph, the vehicle decelerated and the power train warning indicator illuminated. The contact took the vehicle to the dealer to repair the throttle body; however, the contact was informed that the repair was not part of a recall and was outside of the extended warranty due to the vehicle being a hybrid. The contact was inquiring about reimbursement eligibility. The failure mileage was 37,500. The consumer stated she immediately lost speed and had trouble accelerating. Updated 10/27/16.

- Athens, GA, USA

Sep 042016

Fusion Hybrid

Driving on highway w/ cruise control engaged at 65 mph speed. Suddenly car loses complete acceleration & propulsion ability, resulting in car to slow down rather suddenly. I was able to pull onto off ramp in my case, but if I was in a different location, I would have definitely been in a very dangerous situation/serious accident. I turned off vehicle and restarted the vehicle a few minutes later. Proceeded to the highway again, experienced the problem again, this time I was only able to pull over to the left shoulder, which was quite narrow to begin with."wrench symbol" appeared the second time and stayed on with check engine light on. Car was unsafe to drive further. The check engine trouble shooting codes I had were P2111 and P2112. Cause of this issue is known to Ford motor but they refuse to include hybrid cars in their "consumer satisfaction program 13N03". throttle body control module senor, including the entire assembly is defective as Ford has agreed to replace this on millions of cars across various model years, including the Fusion 2010, but not Fusion hybrid versions. Ford states they will not repair problem that I experienced recently under this established program which NHTSA was proponent for. The defective part in question is the throttle body assembly and sensor which is no different than the part in the non-hybrid version for the same model year. Real hazard to driver and I was lucky that I was not rear ended as a result or in a serious car accident from this known defective part. Ford motor must be required to notify all affected owners who will/have experienced this problem to have it repaired at their expense, as this is a serious safety issue that must be taken seriously given number of vehicles that are involved that will experience this. I experienced this at mileage of 75K but I have read that others have had this happen at much lower mileage.

- Annapolis, MD, USA

Aug 132016

Fusion Hybrid

My 2010 Fusion hybrid began a no-start/stalling condition. It has happened six times now. First occurrence was after fueling at low speed after entering street. Second occurrence was while traveling on the highway at 55 mph. Third occurrence was while exiting the interstate. Fourth occurrence was at low speed. Fifth occurrence was immediately after refueling while still in parking lot. And sixth occurence was also immediately after refueling just after leaving gas station at low speed. Four of the six occurrences was a failure for the internal combustion engine to start after the electric motor had already began moving the vehicle. The other two occurrences was while coasting. In all instances there would be a red triangle warning message to pull over safely, no codes were thrown according to the engineering report, no issues reported via the vehicle health report, the vehicle was traveling in a mostly level and straight line, and the vehicle would usually reset and run normally after the first or second attempt at restarting once the vehicle was pulled over.

- Fairbanks, AK, USA

Aug 162016

Fusion Hybrid

I was driving on the highway at 65 mph when two wrench symbols appeared on the dashboard. Within a few minutes, the car began to decelerate quickly and lost power. I had to pull over to the shoulder to avoid an accident. It is the same issue that Ford has extended the warranty for with regard to the non-hybrid Ford Fusion model. Also there are many similar complaints that hybrid owners are reporting on the internet. I do not know why the extended warranty does not apply to the hybrids as it is the same issue. The dealer told me that the throttle body must be replaced in my car and they also have to reprogram the powertrain code.

- Mclean, VA, USA

Aug 092016

Fusion Hybrid

I experience rapid deceleration of my vehicle when going over 60mph on the highway. The wrench services light came on, as well as the check engine light, and the accelerator stopped responding at all. I have found many instances of this happening in other Ford vehicles, including the Fusion, but am told by Ford that the hybrid has not been affected and therefore there is no recall or repair assistance. However, clearly this same part in my vehicle, the Fusion hybrid, is experiencing issues.

- Chandler, AZ, USA

Jul 092016

Fusion Hybrid

The contact owns a 2010 Ford Fusion hybrid. While driving 65 mph, the wrench warning light illuminated and the vehicle failed to accelerate when the accelerator pedal was depressed. The contact switched off and was able to restart the vehicle. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 87,000.

- Morgan Hill, CA, USA

Jun 112016

Fusion Hybrid

I was driving the car about 60 mph on the highway when I saw a big red triangle on the display saying "pull over and stop safely" and the car slowed down dramatically. I did that and turned off the engine. I restarted the car. This occurred 8 more times before I got home (15 miles later). When I got home, I noticed that the car's fan was running very high for several minutes. It finally stopped.

- Springfield, VA, USA

Jun 022016

Fusion Hybrid

My daughter has her learner's permit and was driving my Ford Fusion hybrid on a 45 mph street. The wrench light came on and the car would not accelerate as she was driving up a hilly part of the street. Cars began honking and passing and my daughter became extremely nervous. Thankfully, we were not involved in a car accident but she was quite shaken by the incident. I took the vehicle to the Ford dealership to have it repaired and was advised this was not a recall even though there are several thousand complaints and issues. I had to have the throttle body replaced which is apparently a defective part. I don't understand why there isn't a recall for this defect. I understand the NHTSA considers safety a huge factor when recalling parts. However, the part is clearly defective and has cost consumers greatly. Please reconsider recalling or at least subsidizing the payment for those affected by this defective part.

- Chesapeake, VA, USA

May 202016

Fusion Hybrid

When operating the car on the freeway, the car suddenly lost power and only could achieve 45 mph in spite of the accelerator being floored. When eventually stopped, the engine would surge and shudder periodically. The check engine light came on. Pulling the trouble code revealed P2112 which is a throttle body error.

- Sunnyvale, CA, USA

May 042016

Fusion Hybrid

Vehicle was on the highway when the throttle closed. I suddenly could not get to a speed above 25 mph. Fortunately I was able to get to an exit without being hit, and limped to the Ford dealer where I bought it. It is my understanding that other Ford Fusion of that year had an extended warranty created when they had the same flaw; it even triggered the same code (P2112). This problem seems to extend, then, to hybrids, although Ford currently does not include them.

- Fort Mitchell, KY, USA

Oct 172015

Fusion Hybrid

I was cruising along a major urban highway @ 50mph when I suddenly lost the ability to accelerate. Car lost speed and went to 45 then down to 40 and I was unable to accelerate. Luckily traffic was light and I was able to cross the two lanes over to the right and exit the main road and limped along to a stop in a safe area. Dealership had to replace the throttle body and motor. Was not covered by Ford's csp 13N03 which had been issued for a similar problem. Was told the program did not apply to the hybrid model, and yet it was the same problem described in the NHTSA action number PE 13003!

- Sarasota, FL, USA

Sep 052015

Fusion Hybrid

When driving on the highway at approximately 70 mph, the wrench indicator light ("limp home" mode) suddenly started flashing, and the gas pedal abruptly became unresponsive—the vehicle would no longer accelerate and could only coast. The abruptly decelerating vehicle was maneuvered across multiple lanes of traffic to the shoulder and turned off. Upon restarting the vehicle after a minute, it was able to resume normal operation for about 15 minutes, when the problem reoccurred, and the same steps were taken. It occurred again 90 minutes later. Symptoms correspond to other accounts of electronic throttle body issues, but Ford says that the vehicle is not covered under any recalls, extended warranties, or customer safety programs.

- Washington, DC, USA

Aug 312015

Fusion Hybrid

While driving at speed car suddenly slows with a jerk. A wrench light comes on the dash. Throttle control/powertrain malfunction light and engine light illuminates. Car goes into "limp mode". can't go over low speeds. Car is unsafe to drive.

- Woodland Hills, CA, USA

Jul 272015

Fusion Hybrid

The contact owns a 2010 Ford Fusion hybrid. While driving at 65 mph, the vehicle stalled without warning. The contact merged to the side of the road and was able to restart the vehicle. The failure recurred on several occasions. The vehicle was taken to the dealer, but the failure could not be duplicated. The throttle body was repaired, which remedied the failure. The manufacturer was made aware of the issue. The failure mileage was 104,000.

- Sunderland, MD, USA

Apr 132015

Fusion Hybrid

First time, check engine light came on when driving on highway but no apparent impact to car's functioning. Took it to the dealer. They said that the surge valve needed to be replaced at a cost of $500 "to start with", but they didn't seem very sure about it so I chose not to proceed. The check engine light had gone back off and the car was driving fine. About two weeks later on a Saturday I was driving on the highway again, at about 65 mph, when the car seemed to lose acceleration. Standing on gas pedal produced no result. Exited and was able to drive on battery power to pull over. After waiting for about 30 minutes, tried again. Check engine light was back off and car drove normally back home. Took to my regular mechanic first thing that Monday. They found oil in the intake manifold and questioned whether I had taken the car anywhere unusual for servicing, which I had not, unless you count the dealer. Did repairs at a cost of $2000. One week later, exact same thing. Car is back in shop, awaiting results.

- Austin, TX, USA

Sep 062014

Fusion Hybrid 4-cyl

My hybrid experienced loss of power on 2 occasions.1st was at approximately 33,000 mi on Sep 6, 2014. Driving 35mph on a parkway wrenches appeared on the dashboard display & then sudden & immediate loss of power followed.no response to full accelerator push. Motor power shut down & only electric power allowed us to limp off the road, headed uphill at max speed of 10 mph. Vehicle taken to dealer who could not replicate the conditions or "get it to act up" in the week+ a half the car was there.odometer reading shows 700 mi put on presumably in effort to make diagnosis.their suggestion was to pick up the vehicle since no diagnosis could be made, despite our protest that the car was unsafe to drive.called Ford cust.relationship ctr 800# on sep15 to seek assistance.case was opened but no action taken.they concurred with dealer that no repairs were to be made without diagnosis.again, we voiced concern that the car was unsafe.dealer suspected throttle body issue but without diagnosis insist that repairs would be at our cost $400-$500. 2nd occurrence was Oct 2 2014.while driving in traffic experienced immed & sudden loss of power, no response to acceleration attempts, electric powered limp off uphill road at max speed of 10 mph.was advised by dealer not to attempt starting the car once it died in effort to maintain error report in system. We adhered to this advice and had vehicle towed to dealer a 2nd time without starting it. Dealer was at the ready with the phrase "throttle body" and asked if we had received any letters in regards to such.vehicle was diagnosed as having carbon buildup that caused throttle body to short out. Repairs made at our expense $709.numerous complaints are documented on the NHTSA website of throttle body issues! hybrid owners have reported as well. Owners who have had to pay for repairs of defective parts out of their own pocket deserve compensation by Ford.

- Knoxville, TN, USA

Oct 012014

Fusion Hybrid 4-cyl

Ford hybrid would not accelerate. It did not go above 30 mph in heavy traffic. I was lucky a Ford dealer was nearby. It was dangerous crossing a major intersection. Service department said it was the electronic throttle body. NHTSA is aware of this problem but allowed Ford to limit their recall to a limited customer satisfaction program. The problem may not present itself for many miles. My car is beyond warranty and I called Ford. They said I was not covered in their limited program because my car was made at a plant where they claim no problems exist. I asked if the part was made at the plant. Ford cs declined to assist me. I was responsible for the cost of repair. The money is not important. My wife was driving and she was put in a precarious position on the highway. This seems to be the response of automakers. I suffered through the 2007 Toyota Camry lies and bought this Ford. In the minds of automakers, I suppose they would say it is just my bad luck. Toyota lied, Ford evaded their responsibility.

- Mechanicsville, VA, USA

Sep 272014

Fusion Hybrid

Intermittently lose response from throttle. Happens on start up as well as while driving. Car will not go over 45 mph. You have to pull over shut off the car for 5 seconds turn it back on and it will work until it happens again. May go days between incident but has happened 5 times in one day. I would not feel safe with the family in the car. The wrench does come one right before this happens. Dealership confirmed bad throttle body. Will not cover the cost of repair. Currently disputing with Ford.

- Eustis, FL, USA