2010 Ford Fusion Hybrid steering problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2010 Ford Fusion Hybrid:

2010 Ford Fusion Hybrid Owner Comments (Page 2 of 4)

Aug 252015

Fusion Hybrid

Driving home about 55mph when steering got stiff and "power steering failure" followed by "advancetrac failure", then "service advancetrac system" warning messages and chimes appeared. Managed to get home without the power-assist but upon stopping on driveway and restarting car, steering was gone altogether and I could not turn the wheel. Impossible to drive. Spoke to Ford cust. Serv. Next morning who said there were no issues reported on this car and no safety recalls (although he admitted there were safety recalls on all subsequent model years of this car for steering issues) and he suggested taking it to the dealer. I told him it was impossible to drive so he arranged (and covered the cost of) a towtruck to take it to the nearest dealer. They tested the car and found only a blown power steering system fuse. After replacing fuse and testing the car they said it was now fixed. They could not identify the problem that caused the fuse to blow. I explained that I was now scared to drive the car in case it happened again and what if.... it happened at higher speed and the car won't steer? the dealer service manager is contacting Ford to see what she can do. Total cost to fix the fuse and diagnostic test was $111.

- Butler, OH, USA

Aug 152015

Fusion Hybrid

The contact owns a 2010 Ford Fusion hybrid. While driving approximately 60 mph, the warning message for service power steering and service auto trac illuminated on the instrument panel. The vehicle was taken to the dealer. The dealer ran a diagnostic and the system reset itself. The mechanic diagnosed that the electric power assist system needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 68,000.

- Avon Park, FL, USA

Aug 152015

Fusion Hybrid

When starting the car I got an error message "service power steering now" and service advancetrac. Now I cannot turn the wheel on the car and I cannot drive it. I've seen other people have the same issue. I tired to restart the car and had the same issue. Also unplugged the battery and tired again an it still had those errors.

- Atlanta, GA, USA

Apr 092015

Fusion Hybrid 4-cyl

While driving along at 35 mph the "service power steering" and "service advancetrac system" warning lights came on. Lost power steering. Stopped to see what owner's manual had to say. It said it was okay to drive, but to take it to the nearest dealer. Took it to a Ford dealer in frankfort, ky. They said it was a fuse that had popped up out of its slot in the fuse box. Since the power steering is an electrical assist motor the circuit to the motor was broken when the fuse popped up out of its slot. The fuse was not blown, just lost contact in the circuit. Car was fine until 10,000 miles later. Same problem, loss of power steering. Ford dealer in daytona beach, fl says they found an over temp code and reset code. They could find nothing else wrong with the car that would cause loss of power steering. Drove another 1,000 miles and loss of power steering again in Virginia. Took car to nearest Ford dealer in prince george, va. They replaced front control arms. Drove another 600 miles and loss of power steering again. Went straight to the first Ford dealer in frankfort, ky and they say they need to replace the rack on it, but it is now out of warranty. Not sure what to do next or where to take the car. No one really knows what is causing this problem....updated 10/01/15

- Westland, MI, USA

Jul 082015

Fusion Hybrid

I was rounding a corner at approximately 10 mph, pulling out from the street where I live, and two trouble codes popped up: (1) "brake! check brake system"; and (2) "service advancetrac". the car immediately became incredibly difficult to steer and the brakes provided little (if any) stopping power (I am unsure if it was jamming on the brakes that provided extremely minimal stopping power or just the inertia of the car slowing over approximately 30-50 feet). The dealership ultimately provided excellent service replacing the "asb module", but I feel that it is unsafe for a car's brakes and power steering to fail suddenly, even at low speeds, and unexpected that a 4 year old car with less than 40,000 miles would have such a failure. I live near a park. If someone had decided to suddenly cross the street with a stroller, a kid had run into the street after a ball, or someone else had darted in front of the car, I would have been unable to make the necessary adjustments to avoid an auto on person crash.

- Torrance, CA, USA

May 222015

Fusion Hybrid

I previously reported the steering failure on my Ford, and I was gratified to see Ford recalling the 2011 and later models of this car for this steering problem. When I had my steering harness replaced on my 2010, however, my mechanic said it was the same part as the 2011. If so, why did you not recall the 2010S as well? it was the first model year of the car and suffers from the same problem.

- Colorado Springs, CO, USA

Jun 132015

Fusion Hybrid

Complete loss of power steering. No accident/injury to report. Power steering did not come back when vehicle was turned off and back on. Taken to Mahwah, NJ, Ford dealer who announce that gear box needs to be replaced, and they have never seen this type of failure before.

- Woodcliff Lake, NJ, USA

Jun 052015

Fusion Hybrid

Started up and left the golf course last evening and went about a quarter mile and suddenly the "service power steering" warning came on along with the usual chimes you hear. Lost the power steering and the vehicle was very difficult to drive the 12 or so miles to my home. Also the advance track warning is on.

- Worcester, MA, USA

May 292015

Fusion Hybrid

While driving vehicle power steering stopped working making it nearly impossible to control. As a result crashed into another vehicle. There was no warning prior to the failure, a service power steering now warning light and a service advance trac light illuminated as the failure occurred. This steering configuration is extremely dangerous as it is nearly impossible to control and very different from a vehicle that does not have power steering.

- Boyds, MD, USA

Apr 092015

Fusion Hybrid

On 4/9/15 I was driving along 2-lane road and got a message on my dash re power steering problem. At the same time I noticed that power steering had gone out. I was able to pull into a parking lot, turned off vehicle, when I turned power back on, the power seemed to be ok and I continued driving. I took the car immediately to jacky jones dealership. They said they checked it out, couldn't find anything and said it must've been a "glitch." They charged me $45.22. I proceeded to get on I-75 and drove home. On 5/18/15, I was on a main road approaching access to I-75. Once again I got a message on the dash and the power steering went out. I pulled off road, turned off ignition and then turned it on again. It appeared to be ok. 5/25/15. Took vehicle to lenoir city Ford end left it there over weekend. Today they told me that rack unit has to be replaced at a cost of approx. $1800. They did tell me that I should not drive car. The power steering went out for them at dealership as well.

- Loudon, TN, USA

May 222015

Fusion Hybrid 4-cyl

The assisted power steering failed without warning on my 2010 Ford Fusion hybrid. I was turning out of a gas station onto a street when it failed and I was able to pull to the side safely. When I did an internet search I found that this is a common problem and there is a class action suit filed against Ford because of it. If that is true, why hasn't the NHTSA intervened? this is a very dangerous situation.

- Colorado Springs, CO, USA

Mar 282015

Fusion Hybrid

Shortly starting my car after a gas fill up and pulling out onto the road, I lost the power steering which almost caused an accident. I was able to 'stress" the steering wheel enough to avoid hitting a parked car. I did see in conjunction with the failure a "service power steering" and "service "autotrack" (sp) I immediately took the car to a Ford dealership who diagnosed the problem to a failed power steering component. This failure is severe. I was fortunate not to be involved in an accident due to this failure but have read many articles where it was the fault of the accident.

- Round Hill, VA, USA

Mar 252015

Fusion Hybrid

The car was fine throughout the day. After eating dinner at a restaurant, I had just pulled out of a parking lot into the road. Within 1-2 minutes of driving, the dashboard showed power the steering failure/advancetrac failure/service now warning messages. I was able to steer into another parking lot, and turned off the engine. The car was restarted, but the messages remained, with no power steering.

- Rochester Hills, MI, USA

Dec 242014

Fusion Hybrid

The contact owns a 2010 Ford Fusion hybrid. While driving approximately 60 mph, the power steering suddenly malfunctioned causing the steering wheel to become very difficult to turn. The vehicle was taken to the dealer, who diagnosed that the power steering mechanism was faulty and needed to be replaced. No further information was available. The vehicle was repaired, but the failure recurred. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 110,000.

- Manvel, TX, USA

Feb 232015

Fusion Hybrid 4-cyl

The power steering assistance went out on the vehicle while pulling out of my driveway. The vehicle has had no prior power steering issues and has been involved in no accidents. All routine maintenance has been performed on the vehicle.

- Richfield, MN, USA

Dec 242014

Fusion Hybrid

I was driving when I got a sudden warning signal about the steering system. About 10 seconds later I lost all power-steering. I managed to turn the vehicle to the side of the road and park it. The next day it was towed to the dealership. They said I needed a complete "steering rack." They said it would cost $2300 -- not covered. I appealed and they dropped it to about $1500 and gave me $900 assistance, but did not cover the rental car for the 2 weeks the car was out of commission. It took them 2 whole weeks to complete their ruling on the car regarding the assistance and I didn't dare give the go-ahead to fix it until I got the ruling from the regional manager.

- Chestnut Hill, MA, USA

Jan 292015

Fusion Hybrid 4-cyl

This morning while driving to work I had a low tire pressure light pop up on my instrument panel. Seconds later it came up with power steering service now and I lost almost all ability to maneuver the vehicle. After I lost steering it said advancetrac service now. It was almost impossible to get the car to pull over to the side when I did I turned the car off for a few min and back on. After restarting the car the messages were no longer there and I had my steering back to only happen again approximately 2 miles down the road.

- Usaf Academy , CO, USA

Jan 152015

Fusion Hybrid 4-cyl

Just as I was pulling into a parking spot the steering gave out and a red error message popped up on the screen saying service power steering now. Luckily it was as I was parking and not someplace where I could have died.

- Boise, ID, USA

Jan 012015

Fusion Hybrid

Warning light came on about the advance trac or something like that. Shortly afterwards the power steering failed. Luckily I was pulling into my driveway at the time after just getting off the highway.

- Bridgton, ME, USA

Jan 022015

Fusion Hybrid

I was making a right turn from a side street, about 100 yards from my home. As I got on road, lights went on the dash about brakes advance service and the brakes lost power. Caused me to have to use significant pressure to make brakes work. I went about 1 mile and into a parking lot. I stopped and restarted the car and things went back to normal. This could have caused an accident since it was sudden and there was a loss of control in traffic. I called dealership and they said that it may have been from car sitting for a week and that unless the problem can be repeated at the dealership, they cannot fix something that isn't broken. The car did the exact thing again turning out of my driveway on 1-5-15. Stopped and restarted car and it went back to normal. This is not safe and should be recalled. Intermittant problems can still kill.

- Atlanta, GA, USA