2011 Ford Fusion Hybrid drivetrain problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2011 Ford Fusion Hybrid:

2011 Ford Fusion Hybrid Owner Comments

Dec 122015

Fusion Hybrid

When decelerating, my car sometimes "jerks", accompanied by multiple warning lights and--dangerously--a total loss of engine power. The car goes dead, in the middle of the road, and has to be restarted by removing the key and reinserting it. This could cause a collision both from behind (by someone who doesn't realize that the car has just "died"--especially at night), as well as the "jerk" potentially causing me to collide with someone in front. My dealership told me that Ford had "put out a bulletin" regarding this issue, which called for the installation of a new wiring harness. And yet--inexplicably given that this is a safety hazard--this apparently "known" issue is not treated as a recall, with me being charged more than $500 for parts and labor. I've seen numerous reports of people with the same issue, many with less mileage than myself (97,000), so I'm shocked that a recall hasn't happened, especially given the danger that this issue poses to the car's occupants and those nearby.

- Colonial Heights, VA, USA

Dec 172015

Fusion Hybrid

Power steering and advancetrac failed during driving. The steering wheel suddenly became very hard to turn. I barely could avoid a collision. In an earlier event, the hybrid system malfunctioned and the car accelerated with maximum electric power despite the foot being off the accelerator. The vehicle could be stopped and and worked again normally after turning off the ignition key.

- Painted Post, NY, USA

Jul 242015

Fusion Hybrid

While driving from los angeles to phoenix in the summer, the car suddenly flashed a red warning light, and shut the engine off with the car moving at freeway speed. After pulling to the side of the road, and turning the engine off and on again, the car gave no indication that something had happened. It shut off again ten miles later, and again, and again. I turned around and brought the car home and took it to a dealer. They replaced the hybrid computer, but it did the same thing again driving to las vegas a few months later. The dealer cleaned the throttle body, and said everything was good. It has since done it again and again, sometimes just merging onto the freeway near my home. Repeatedly, the car has lost power - usually on the freeway, and often with my family in the car. I try not to let my wife drive it at this point, because I'm worried that she'll either get stranded with the kids, or get hit by someone when the car shuts off on the freeway. We no longer drive it significant distances.

- Los Angeles, CA, USA

Nov 162014

Fusion Hybrid 4-cyl

Normal driving in 55 mph zone car suddenly would not accelerate past 40 mph. Noticed wrench light illuminated. Turned car around and proceeded toward home. Engine revved at stopping but could not get out of way of fast traffic. Almost hit in rear several times. Flasher emergency lights necessary. Googled issue to see that it is a defect and NHTSA has decided to let Ford handle resolution. Fox in charge of the hen house again. Thanks again to another government consumer protection Agency that will not protect us. Called Ford corporate customer service and of course my vehicle is not part of the Ford "customer satisfaction" repair. Why am I not surprised?

- Windermere, FL, USA

Nov 132014

Fusion Hybrid

The contact owns a 2011 Ford Fusion hybrid. While driving approximately 60 mph, the transmission malfunctioned and the vehicle lost all power. The failure recurred several times. The dealer was contacted. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The VIN was not available. The failure mileage was 61,170.

- Houston, TX, USA