2.9

2011 Ford Fusion Hybrid engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2011 Ford Fusion Hybrid:

2011 Ford Fusion Hybrid Owner Comments

Dec 122015

Fusion Hybrid

When decelerating, my car sometimes "jerks", accompanied by multiple warning lights and--dangerously--a total loss of engine power. The car goes dead, in the middle of the road, and has to be restarted by removing the key and reinserting it. This could cause a collision both from behind (by someone who doesn't realize that the car has just "died"--especially at night), as well as the "jerk" potentially causing me to collide with someone in front. My dealership told me that Ford had "put out a bulletin" regarding this issue, which called for the installation of a new wiring harness. And yet--inexplicably given that this is a safety hazard--this apparently "known" issue is not treated as a recall, with me being charged more than $500 for parts and labor. I've seen numerous reports of people with the same issue, many with less mileage than myself (97,000), so I'm shocked that a recall hasn't happened, especially given the danger that this issue poses to the car's occupants and those nearby.

- Colonial Heights, VA, USA

Aug 102015

Fusion Hybrid

The contact owns a 2011 Ford Fusion hybrid. The contact stated that while coming to a stop, the vehicle stalled and various warning lights illuminated. The contact mentioned that the vehicle was able to start after multiple attempts. The failure recurred intermittently. The vehicle was taken to a dealer where it was diagnosed that the electronic cooling pump failed and needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired, but the failure recurred. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 51,000.

- Aptos, CA, USA

Jul 242015

Fusion Hybrid

While driving from los angeles to phoenix in the summer, the car suddenly flashed a red warning light, and shut the engine off with the car moving at freeway speed. After pulling to the side of the road, and turning the engine off and on again, the car gave no indication that something had happened. It shut off again ten miles later, and again, and again. I turned around and brought the car home and took it to a dealer. They replaced the hybrid computer, but it did the same thing again driving to las vegas a few months later. The dealer cleaned the throttle body, and said everything was good. It has since done it again and again, sometimes just merging onto the freeway near my home. Repeatedly, the car has lost power - usually on the freeway, and often with my family in the car. I try not to let my wife drive it at this point, because I'm worried that she'll either get stranded with the kids, or get hit by someone when the car shuts off on the freeway. We no longer drive it significant distances.

- Los Angeles, CA, USA

Nov 162014

Fusion Hybrid 4-cyl

Normal driving in 55 mph zone car suddenly would not accelerate past 40 mph. Noticed wrench light illuminated. Turned car around and proceeded toward home. Engine revved at stopping but could not get out of way of fast traffic. Almost hit in rear several times. Flasher emergency lights necessary. Googled issue to see that it is a defect and NHTSA has decided to let Ford handle resolution. Fox in charge of the hen house again. Thanks again to another government consumer protection Agency that will not protect us. Called Ford corporate customer service and of course my vehicle is not part of the Ford "customer satisfaction" repair. Why am I not surprised?

- Windermere, FL, USA

Aug 242014

Fusion Hybrid 4-cyl

The wrench symbol was displayed on the control panel when the vehicle lost speed. It felt like it stalled out. Then the engine light came on. The car has very low miles on it and is practically brand new. I did not feel safe.

- Orlando, FL, USA