1. replace engine (1 reports)
1996 Ford Mustang engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 1996 Ford Mustang:

1996 Ford Mustang Owner Comments

Jun 162008

Mustang 3.8L V6

I bought this car May of 2008. I was sitting at a stoplight June 16,2008 and engine died. I got a guy to push me into a lot. My husband came & looked as well as others. We looked under the car and the gear from the front of the engine was lying underneath as well as some other pieces. No one could believe it. No one had ever seen this before. I was told the harmonic balancer had broken the crank off the front of the engine.

We had the car towed to the dealer and had to have a new engine installed. I had worked in the automotive industry for quite a few years with a company that supplied bolts to Ford. I wrote to Ford and NTSA and never got answers.. So I contacted a fellow I used to work with and he contacted engineers/qc people at Ford and they would not touch the problem as Ford had many other worries at that time. I have never received any satisfaction from Ford or NTSA.

Really, 83K miles and the engine breaks? I am not a stupid woman and know this is not something that occurs. This is the second Ford I have ever owned in my life and am sorry I ever purchased this thing. I hope the new Mustangs are better but I doubt it ...couldn't afford one anyway. Very unhappy Ford owner

- , Circleville, OH, USA