4.7

2. fix heat shield on muffler (1 reports)
1999 Ford Mustang exhaust system problems

exhaust system problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 1999 Ford Mustang:

1999 Ford Mustang Owner Comments

Sep 172011

Mustang 3.8L V6

Bad noise when accelerating. It started with tires making noise when steering the wheel. Then it ultimately led to making noise when accelerating.

- , Jacksonville, FL, USA

Jan 012008

Mustang V6

My mustang started to make a rattling noise when I would slow down, and it steadily got worse. Eventually, it made the rattling noise when accelerating, slowing down, and idling. I took my car to the Ford dealership to investigate; they said I needed my entire exhaust replaced. The cost would be $1250 to fix it. I decided to go to a different body shop and they found the actual problem. It was the heat shield above my muffler. It was just lose. The total cost to fix was $15. The shop guy said that I had a little rust on my muffler, but nothing that would warrant replacing the entire exhaust. There were no holes and no damage from an air conditioning water drip. I hope this helps everyone.

- , Champaign, IL, USA

Jul 272006

Mustang

A while back my car started to make a noise as it accelerated same as Kristy's. Now it's this loud muffle noise(sounds like it is a diesel truck) it has something to do with the exhaust system maybe a hole I'm not sure I am waiting for my husband to get home to look at it. Any solutions?

- , Baton, Rouge, USA

Nov 302006

Mustang 35th Aniv. Ed V6

My 99 was doing it a few weeks ago. I took it to the shop and the guy said i know exactly what's wrong with it. i didnt believe him so he took it off and showed me he put it back on and it quit! Sounds good as new

- , Pearl, MS, USA

Aug 142006

Mustang

It rattles especially when the air conditioning is on.

- , Orange, VA, USA

Jul 302005

Mustang

The noise is only when accelerating and stops about 50 mph. It seems to only do it when it is hot. The exhaust when idling also sounds like the car wants to die.

- , Oklahoma City, OK, USA