1. change the fuel pump. don't go crazy like i did (1 reports)
2004 Ford Mustang fuel system problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2004 Ford Mustang:

2004 Ford Mustang Owner Comments

Nov 252011

Mustang GT 4.6L

I'm a Marine, and live a good distance away from my family in Florida. My mother came to visit me and my wife for Thanksgiving, when the car decided it wanted to take a vacation. Mind you, this is after we had just caught up on our bills. (Lower enlisted in any branch of service don't make sh*t.) The day after Thanksgiving, I'm on my way home from an errand I had to run, and the car decides to start running like absolute sh*t while I'm coming up to a stoplight. When I stopped, it was idling so low I though the car was gonna stall right there at the light, but it didn't. No, it decided to hold out right until I was in the middle of a four-way intersection to give out on me, forcing me and another Marine in the car with me to push the son of a bitch through the intersection (It seemed a rather large one too), and off to the side of the road, where a couple passing by stopped and attempted to help us out until the police arrived to block off the road so we could push it a little farther up where there was a parking lot I could set the car at. Instead of spending the day and following days with my wife, mother, and sister, I spent it trying furiously with my friend to fix it since it was my method of transportation to and from work. After changing the fuel filter, and jumping the battery, I came to the conclusion it had to be either the starter relay, fuel pump relay, or just the fuel pump itself. Later, the mechanic shop I had it towed to informed me that it was in fact the fuel pump. To all you 04 Mustang GT owners out there, change the fuel pump around 70000. I'm only at 65000 and some change and after this occurrence, I read multiple articles on the web stating the fuel pump is common for it's early retirement.

- , Havelock, NC, USA