2005 Ford Mustang electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2005 Ford Mustang:

2005 Ford Mustang Owner Comments (Page 3 of 8)

Jan 092012

Mustang 6-cyl

At about 80,000 miles my tachometer gauge dial stopped working. At about 90,000 miles my temperature gauge dial stopped working. At about 100,000 miles my fuel gauge stopped working.

- Sunnyvale, CA, USA

Jun 012013

The gauge clusters failed. The speedometer failed and is no longer working. RPM and fuel gauge are starting to fail. From what I have read on-line. The 2005 Mustang gauge motors were poorly designed and Ford fixed the problem in the 2006 models but failed to fix the defective parts in the 2005 models.

- Rancho Cucamonga, CA, USA

Oct 252013

The speedometer sticks at approx 60,40,35 mph. It will use that as zero so if it sticks at 60. And you are going 60 it will read 120. Ford says that I should replace the instrument panel. There are numerous other 2005 Mustang V6 owners who have the same problem.

- Middletown, RI, USA

Sep 172009

One incident, driving home from work when car ran out of gas and saw the as gas guage indicator facing straight down, temperature guage and the tachometer was not working. The car ran out of gas on major high way and my daughter alone stuck on the road at 3 am with large trucks passing by. She had believed the car had plenty of gas. The guages are still not fixed properly do not work at 100777 miles.

- Carlstadt, NJ, USA

Jun 282011

Mustang 6-cyl

As with many other Ford Mustang owners know instrument gauges fail. I have stopped driving my Mustang because I received two speeding tickets about a month or two apart.. I was doing the speed limit according to my dash but chp told me different. Did not believe or want to hear anything I said. I paid $900 for the first ticket and cant afford to pay another $900 for the second one so they are not letting me renew my license which is required for the job I do. So I'm gonna lose my job on my birthday. Justice in America... this has ruined my life... no one will help me or listen to me and I'm tired of trying to get help... someone needs to be held responsible for this so when I commit suicide after I'm let go from my job in two months what happened to me will not happen to anyone else. Please... justice for all..

- Selma, CA, USA

Jul 262013

Mustang 6-cyl

My engine overheated when it cooled down I checked the cooling fan connectors and discovered they have melted now the fan won't operate.

- Joshua Tree, CA, USA

Jan 252013

The contact owns a 2005 Ford Mustang. The contact stated that while driving at an unknown speed, she noticed that all of the gauges on the instrument panel were not operating. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic for diagnosis and the contact was informed that the cluster would need to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 70,000 and the current mileage was 80,000.

- Highland, CA, USA

Mar 132013

Mustang 6-cyl

Left side of dash cluster ( tach and fuel gauge ) both stopped working. Must replace entire cluster to fix.

- Bartlett, IL, USA

Jun 172013

Mustang 8-cyl

The instrument gauges on my 2005 Mustang GT started to fail. First the speedometer and then the fuel and temperature gauges. Only the tachometer remains functional. This is a serious safety hazard as there is no way to accurately measure how fast your going. This can be a big issue on rain soaked, icy or otherwise hazardous highways where knowing your speed is crucial to safe operation of your vehicle. Ford is obviously not standing behind their product and will not fix the problem without a recall, unless I pay up 1,000 dollars...then wait for the same thing to occur again. NHTSA has the power to issue the recall if safety is an issue. How can it not be" how many have to be maimed or injured before you issue the recall and demand that Ford fix this problem"

- Simpsonville, SC, USA

May 282013

The vehicles tachometer has failed and no longer properly measures the vehicles rpms. It is probably caused by a failed motor in the gauge cluster.

- Lebanon, OH, USA

Jan 022012

My 2005 Ford Mustang temperature gauge read hot, into the red warning section. I drove it immediately to auburn Ford. They kept the car for 4 hours and told me I needed a new thermostat. I had it replaced. The problem persisted and I went back twice. The Ford dealership again said there was no problem and to ignore it. Within a month my speedometer failed and said I was traveling at 120 mph when I was going approx. 55 mph. Then the instrument gauges started to all give inaccurate information. To not know how fast you are driving, to not know if your car is over heating is dangerous. I have since learned that this problem is happening alot with other 2005 Mustangs. Why is this not being fixed by Ford for free?? read "Mustang monthly" on the web and see all the people experiencing this pragmatic and dangerous non recall issue. This should be a recall and shame on Ford for charging me for something I did not need and the problem should not be ignored. This is my 4th Ford but most likely my last! hope you do something about it.

- Grass Valley, CA, USA

Dec 122011

Mustang 6-cyl

Back in 2011 my thermo gauge showed car was over heating when it was not. I had vehicle looked at and there was no indication that car was running hot. This would happen occassionally not an everyday occurance. Then this past winter it started it again and then my speedometer started showing that I was traveling at high rates of speed or would not work at all. The same thing happens with the gas gauge it works when it wants to. After doing some research I found out that I am not the only one with these problems. It seems to happen in states where weather becomes extremely cold and then when it warms back up everything works. This should be a recall.

- Cullman, AL, USA

Oct 042006

Mustang 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2005 Ford Mustang. The contact stated that all of the gauges on the instrument panel stopped working and water was leaking under the passengers side floor board. The parking brake also became stuck and the cable needed to be replaced. The vehicle was taken to a dealer where the technician verified that the water was leaking through the engine compartment but was not able to determine how to repair it. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 10,000 and the current mileage was 110,000.

- Wall , NJ, USA

Jan 032011

Mustang 6-cyl

All gauges stopped working. First speedometer, than the tact, gas gauge, and finally the hot/cold gauge. I don't know how fast I'm going and I don't know how much gas I have in my car. Every time I drive my car it's a guessing game between gas and speed. Ford needs to issue a recall before someone gets hurt or even worse killed because of this. If not a recall at least make the part cheaper so we can get it fixed instead of going to some make shift shop to get it repaired. $440 plus a $300 core is way to much for a cluster.

- North Brunswick , NJ, USA

Apr 102011

Mustang 6-cyl

The speedometer on the instrument cluster stopped working. A few months later the tachometer stopped working. In April 2013, the temperature gauge stopped working. All gauge needles are stuck on the bottom of the gauges.

- Plymouth, MA, USA

Mar 012013

I have a 2005 Ford Mustang and the instrument panel stopped working properly. According to the gauge, I was going 120 mph!! then the lights, radio, and doors stopped working. I notice there are a lot of this make and model with the same problem. It's very irritating to have to borrow a car to get to work and back. I've always driven Mustangs and never had a problem before, so this took me by surprise. Maybe I should look at a Honda or Chevy.

- Hamilton, OH, USA

Mar 012010

All of my gauges started to read improperly or not at all, speedometer, oil pressure, gas, battery, coolant temp, RPM. They didn't all go at the same time. It has gotten progressively worse. Not knowing how fast I am going is a major safety hazard! I am surprised that this has not already had a recall issued viewing all the problems with this make, model and year with the same problem.

- Hamilton, OH, USA

Sep 092010

Mustang 6-cyl

Speedometer, tachometer, temp, and fuel gauges fail intermittently. Gauges get stuck or provide false readings.

- Oakland Park, FL, USA

Dec 292012

Mustang 6-cyl

Fuel gauge, speedometer and digital read out. Comments: Hello, I am having significant problems with the speedometer on my 2005 Ford Mustang V6. This is by no means an isolated problem. Speedometer jumps to anywhere between 20 to 80 mph and remains at 20 to 80. I have seen it on every forum that I could find and in large numbers. I have noticed is it seems to be more prevalent when it is below 40F degrees outside. The same thing happened with the fuel gauge so I filled the tank, but the gas gauge still shows 1/4 tank. This is a safety issue and there needs to be resolve before someone gets hurt, if not already. I checked Ford site, there are no recalls on this I'm surprised they haven't had a recall yet.

- Raleigh, NC, USA

Jan 012008

Mustang 8-cyl

All of my gauges started to read improperly or not at all, speedometer, oil pressure, gas, battery, coolant temp, RPM. They didn't all go at the same time and the problem moves around but there is always at least 2 or 3 gauges showing inaccurate data. It has gotten progressively worse. Not knowing how fast I am going is a major safety hazard! I am appalled that this very prevalent problem has not already had a recall issued.

- Fort Lauderdale, FL, USA