2005 Ford Mustang engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2005 Ford Mustang:

2005 Ford Mustang Owner Comments (Page 1 of 3)

Aug 312016

Mustang

The speedometer is erratic. Sometimes it shows I am driving 40 miles over the speed I am at and in idle it sometimes shows the speed needle below the zero. Sometimes it shows I am driving 20mph under what I think I'm driving at. Resulting in 4 tickets. I am paying over $500 to have Ford replace the cluster.

- Chester, VA, USA

Feb 042006

Mustang

Corrosion on the hood, water leaking on pass. Side door, water leaking under the glove box, bissell and gauges not working, speeds up in excessive speed without giving gas,

- Dickinson, TX, USA

Nov 022015

Mustang

When I shift from park or neutral position to drive, the car surges forward. This has happened both when the car is in driveway stationary and intermittently at a stoplight. The date below that is required is incorrect; it has been doing it since I got the car I believe in Feb 2005, but I didn't think of it being a safety issue until it was passed down to my daughter this year; for someone that isn't prepared, it could easily cause an accident

- Punta Gorda, FL, USA

Apr 012015

Mustang

The instrument cluster located inside the vehicle stopped reading properly. At first I was not able to read my RPM's gauge as it was showing I was idling at 3,000 which was incorrect as I can hear my engine. Then my oil gauge began reading past full. Both of those issues fixed themselves (unsure of how or why) and then my speedometer gauge went bad. Now the needle is pointing straight down regardless of how fast or slow I am going. This is a danger to myself on the road as I cannot gauge my speed. This is an issue that others with the same model and year of my car are experiencing and should be fixed with a recall.

- Castle Rock, CO, USA

Jan 012013

Mustang

The contact owns a 2005 Ford Mustang. While driving approximately 45 mph, the vehicle accelerated independently to 115 mph. The contact had to shift into neutral in order to slow down the vehicle. In addition, the brake pedal was depressed but the vehicle failed to respond. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic who was unable to diagnose the failure. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was unavailable.

- Old Town , ME, USA

Dec 112014

Mustang

The gas pedal stick cause bye throttle body could not stop the car.just about hit a car when I was driving.....

- Flatwoods, KY, USA

Jul 072014

Mustang 8-cyl

In heavy city traffic, stepped on gas to accelerate, car would not go. Kept giving gas would finally respond. Did this several times in one day. Next time we tried to drive it "engine safe mode" light came on and car would not accelerate at all. Through research and talking to others determined that it is the throttle body (drive by wire) a known problem with some Ford vehicles. Talked to the Ford dealer where we bought the car and the service person we spoke to told us it would be covered by Ford's extended warranty in response to csp 13N03. Took the car in today for appointment and they said it was not covered by that extended warranty and that consumer satisfaction program 13N03 did not pertain to a Mustang. Does not seem right to us that our car would not be covered when research has shown that Mustang's have had the same problem and the same "drive by wire" system. We are left being responsible for over $500 in costs for this repair.

- Granger, IA, USA

Oct 152013

Mustang 6-cyl

My speedometer was reading a lower speed than I was actually driving. It was confirmed with a speed radar sign. My speedometer gauge was off by 15 mph. I checked online and noticed there were many other owners with the same defect. I contacted Ford regarding the issue and they told me there wasn't any recall for my car. I did some more research and found out the steppers in the cluster gauge have been known to go bad.

- Oceanside, CA, USA

Mar 252013

Mustang 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2005 Ford Mustang. The contact stated that while driving at low speeds, the accelerator pedal became jammed. The contact attempted to apply the brakes but the vehicle continued to accelerate and crashed into a grate. The contact did not sustain any injuries. The police were not contacted. The vehicle was able to be driven from the crash site, but only at low speeds. The vehicle was later taken to an independent mechanic where the contact was awaiting an investigation of the failure. The manufacturer was contacted and offered no assistance. The failure and current mileage was approximately 70,000.

- Herndon, VA, USA

Nov 262012

Mustang

My 16 yr old son was driving and the speed gauge started reading 90 then 60 then 100 also the temp gauge went into the red. He panicked that car was going to blow up and pulled off the highway at night to call to see what he should do. I find this to be very unsafe in both aspects of not knowing if the car could of caused an accident and also the fact of him being on the side of the highway at night. I have read of others having this same problem, this differently needs to be addressed before a major accident does happen. Ford should be ashamed of this and offer a correction on this problem.

- Wilmington, NC, USA

Mar 042012

Mustang

3 incidents: 1.needed to use the passing gear and the car kept accelerating with the pedal stuck to the floor. As I was about to go to neutral the pedal released. Dealer diagnosis was to clean throttle body and fuel system at a cost of $160 2. a week later, during moderate acceleration entering an interstate on-ramp, it happened again. Traffic was light so I let it go and eventually the pedal kicked back 3. in early may, did it again during light acceleration on a surface road, this time I was in heavy traffic. Put car in neutral, turned to a side street to stop, put it in park and shut off engine. Upon restart, it was ok returned car to dealer on May 9, left car for a week. They said 2 things, they agreed the floor carpets were not at fault and when one was available, they would put some sort of recorder device on the car that I would activate only when the problem occurred again. Today is July 28, 2012 and they have not produced the device. Occasionally, when road conditions are ok, I try to trigger the condition, but it has not happened again. I'm not a believer that mechanical things fix themselves I've seen multiple articles on the internet about similar problems with 2005-2006 Mustangs and also Ford recalls of other makes/models with similar problems regarding accelerator pedals and automatic speed control malfunctions causing rapid acceleration needless to say, I drive the car with much caution and a lot less enjoyment.

- Johns Island, SC, USA

Mar 012012

Mustang 6-cyl

I was slowly turning into a parking space (cars on both sides and a car in front of me). I was in a parking lot traveling at idle speed. My foot was on the brake pedal. The engine suddenly began to run up. I immediately increased my pressure on the brake pedal. The engine was running so fast that the rear tires were burning rubber. I immediately put the car into park. My foot was still on the brake the engine was running at full speed. I shut off the ignition. The engine stopped. I waited a moment and then restarted the car without touching anything. My foot remained on the brake pedal. The car restated normally. This is the first time this happened. It has not recurred since the original incident on March 1.

- Fairfax, VA, USA

Jan 062010

Mustang

The speedometer began to act erratically before ceasing to work altogether. I took the car to fairway Ford (placentia, ca) and reported the problem. The service writer dismissed me by saying the repair was too costly and that there was no known universal problem with the 2005 V6 Ford Mustang. I have a colleague with the same year and model who has the same problem.

- Yorba Linda, CA, USA

Oct 012010

Mustang

Approximately a year ago, the speedometer and fuel gauges on my 2005 Ford Mustang started to malfunction. Since then, they have been giving me false readings. Examples include my fuel level will read at half a tank when I will actually be near empty, the more pressing issue however, is that my speedometer keeps giving me increadibly inaccurate readings, saying I'll be going 90 mph, when I'll really be going 20, or saying that I'm constantly going well over 150mph...even though my car will be parked and turned off. I have read that many other 2005 Mustang owners are having this problem and being told they are having to pay anywhere from $500-600 for the repair when it is clearly Ford motor's fault. I cannot afford to pay this, but I cannot afford to continue having to guess my speed either, it is unsafe, and potentially causing me to break the law by speeding. A recall order needs to be issued to save me and my fellow Mustang owners from having to pay this excessie cost for a problem that is the maker's problem.

- De Leon, TX, USA

Feb 182011

Mustang 6-cyl

My Ford Mustang has now 32K miles on it purchased new and only one owner/driver. All of my instrument are no longer working or work erratically. I am having problems knowing what speed I am traveling, if there is gas in my car. I am a woman who does not like to get stranded on the highway and this is now a big fear. I cannot tell what my speed is and therefore am very leary driving unless with traffic so I can keep with them. It is apparent alot of others are also complaining about the same problem to the point it starts to cause transmission problems. Is there something we can do to get this up as a recall, what options do we have" I cannot afford to replace all clusters for 600-700 dollars and find out it is still having problems. Any suggestions"

- Suwanee, GA, USA

Sep 132011

Mustang 6-cyl

Speedometer at times sticks or shows the incorrect speed. Even sitting idle the speedometer will show 5 miles an hour or even 20 mph. It's extremely inconsistent, so determining the correct speed is difficult to do. The speed will display both, higher than actual speed and lower than actual speed without ryhme or reason. Additionally the needle moves in a sporadic behavior, like a second hand tic on a clock, rather than a smooth consistent flow. The tachometer appears to also be affected although it's much less noticeable.

- Mckinney, TX, USA

Jun 072008

Mustang 6-cyl

My complaint is on my 2005 Ford Mustang. The speedometer and RPM went out a few years ago when it had approximately 40,000 miles when the warranty expired. At looking online there are many complaints on the same vehicle same problem. I called gene messer Ford and they said it would cost $99 just to diagnose problem. Apparently it appears that the clusters on these vehicles were not made to last. It is not safe to drive without not knowing your speed. My vehicle begin with the speedometer and RPM jumping around and not displaying right speed and then just stop working! we have replaced the transmission speed sensor and it is still not working. The fuses and relays are fine. So it has to be a bad cluster!

- Lubbock, TX, USA

May 122011

Mustang

The contact owns a 2005 Ford Mustang. While driving approximately 15 mph the vehicle accelerated on its own. The contact swerved the vehicle to avoid traffic and crashed into a building. The front passenger sustained a broken rib. A police report was filed. The vehicle was towed to a tow yard. The vehicle was declared destroyed by the insurance company. The approximate failure mileage was 63,000.

- Waltham, MA, USA

Jan 152011

Mustang

Ford 05 Mustang speedometer reads erratic. Reads 100 mph while driving at 40mph. Not consistent resets itself and comes problem comes back again. Researched on Mustang forms on web, several Mustang owners are reporting this. Started in Jan and ongoing.

- Princeton Jct, NJ, USA

Dec 152010

Mustang

The contact owns a 2005 Ford Mustang. The contact started the ignition and when his foot was slightly positioned on the accelerator pedal, the vehicle began to rapidly accelerate. The brake pedal was engaged continuously and the vehicle would not slow down causing difficulty in gaining steering control; as a result to the vehicle crashed into several bushes. The contact was able to drive away from the scene without injury. The vehicle was not diagnosed. The failure mileage was approximately 58,950.

- Salt City , UT, USA