5.3

2005 Ford Mustang fuel system problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2005 Ford Mustang:

2005 Ford Mustang Owner Comments

Nov 102008

Mustang

Fuel gauge drops to empty, sometimes comes back while driving. Seems to always read normal after turning ignition off and back on.

- Columbus, WI, USA

Mar 152006

Mustang

The fuel tank is very difficult to get fuel in when the tank is over 1/4 full. This has been going on since I bought the car and Ford recognizes the problem but doesn't have a fix. I have been told to try other gas stations. It doesn't matter which gas station or how the hose is positioned.

- Apo, AE, USA

Dec 012008

Mustang

At 43,000 miles the check engine light would come on and then go off. The engine rpms will surge up and down when first starting and there seems to be a greater amount of exhaust visible. The warranty Ford dealer for this area in germany (kohlhoff Ford in mannheim) checked the vehicle and determined that the engine air/gas control sensor (anti-knock sensor) is defective. This is a 50 state emissions control vehicle (California) but Ford warranty advisor states that the warranty is only when it's in California. I am stationed overseas. So the 3 year, 50,000 mile warranty for this and the 8 year, 80,000 mile emissions warranty is not covering this. Replacement parts are on order.

- Apo, AE, USA

Sep 182008

Mustang

Gas tank on my 2005 Mustang won't completely fill. The local Ford dealer says this is a common problem on this vehicle. They replaced the tank a few months ago after it wouldn't fill up. The new tank worked correctly until a week and a half ago. Now the local dealer says there is nothing that can be done to correct the problem.

- Kailua, HI, USA

Jun 012006

Mustang 6-cyl

I purchased a 2005 Ford Mustang V6. In 2006 I started having trouble with giving it gas and no going anywhere. When I took to mechanic he could not find anything wrong. The problem stopped on its own. In 6 months I started having same problem. Took to a different mechanic, he said it was a defected gas tank. I wish someone would check on this before it happens again and I get into a serious wreck due to malfunction.

- Metairie, LA, USA

Aug 182007

Mustang

Filling fuel tank - in response to all those consumers having problems filling their 2005 Ford Mustang gas tanks, here is a method you can try which works for me everytime. Turn the gas pump/hose nozzle in an upside down position within your tank and it should fill without shutting off!

- Norfolk, VA, USA

Jan 262007

Mustang 6-cyl

I have a 2005 Mustang. It had fuel filling problems since I got it. The pump would click off continuously making it virtually impossible to fill. At times, it would even allow the gasoline to spew out of the vehicle. I took the vehicle to the service department and they already had a bulletin from Ford indicating the problem and that the tank should be replaced. Recently, I have been having the same problem again with the new fuel tank. I don't fill up that often, because I work from home and rarely drive the car. Again, difficult to fill and fuel spewing out of the car onto the side of the vehicle and the ground. I know from reading online that hundreds if not thousands of other Mustangs are having the same issues. I took it back to the service department and this time they decided that they were not going to fix it. According to the service ticket it is a normal characteristic of that vehicle to spew fuel out of the side of the car when you are attempting to fill it up. Yes, I have the ticket if you would like a copy of it. The date I provide on this form will be for the most recent incident. It spent a week in the shop following the incident, but, according to the shop foreman, was never looked at.

- Roanoke, VA, USA

Oct 252005

Mustang 6-cyl

Purchased vehicle in 4/05-problems started in 10/05. Engine light on and engine idle rough on 4 separate occasions. Two sensors, a solenoid, and spark plug replaced on those occasions. Now car is at dealer because it will stall when idle and lose power. This is really not safe when you are entering traffic! still waiting for the outcome of this. The fuel sending unit needed to be replaced due to erratic fuel gauge-the gauge would show empty when the tank was full.

- St. Petersburg, FL, USA

Jun 222005

Mustang

Purchased the car on June 1, 2005 and on three occasions have been unable to fill the gas tank more than half way. I have even left the gas station and gone back later in the day to finish filling the tank, but was unable to do so, as the pump continued to shut off as if the tank was already full.

- Parkersburg, WV, USA