2.9

2005 Ford Mustang miscellaneous problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2005 Ford Mustang:

2005 Ford Mustang Owner Comments

Dec 112013

Mustang

I bought this car used. Had only 35,000 miles on it 3 yrs ago. A year in a half ago I notice on front end of hood paint looked bubbly. Didn't think anything of it, cause it was a very small area. Now it is getting worse. I was told that it was rust. How is this possible?

- San Diego, CA, USA

May 012009

Mustang

My tachometer fail a few years ago. When I took it to the dealer, he said all Mustang gauges fail and to be happy it wasn't the speedometer. Slowly over time all the electrical has been having problems. Sometimes the car won't start, all the gauges stop working, the check engine light goes on and off for no reason. Also the driver seat electrical failed, was replaced and failed again. I couldn't afford to have it fixed.

- Long Beach, CA, USA

Apr 012015

Mustang

The instrument cluster located inside the vehicle stopped reading properly. At first I was not able to read my RPM's gauge as it was showing I was idling at 3,000 which was incorrect as I can hear my engine. Then my oil gauge began reading past full. Both of those issues fixed themselves (unsure of how or why) and then my speedometer gauge went bad. Now the needle is pointing straight down regardless of how fast or slow I am going. This is a danger to myself on the road as I cannot gauge my speed. This is an issue that others with the same model and year of my car are experiencing and should be fixed with a recall.

- Castle Rock, CO, USA

Sep 172009

Mustang

One incident, driving home from work when car ran out of gas and saw the as gas guage indicator facing straight down, temperature guage and the tachometer was not working. The car ran out of gas on major high way and my daughter alone stuck on the road at 3 am with large trucks passing by. She had believed the car had plenty of gas. The guages are still not fixed properly do not work at 100777 miles.

- Carlstadt, NJ, USA

Jan 062010

Mustang

The speedometer began to act erratically before ceasing to work altogether. I took the car to fairway Ford (placentia, ca) and reported the problem. The service writer dismissed me by saying the repair was too costly and that there was no known universal problem with the 2005 V6 Ford Mustang. I have a colleague with the same year and model who has the same problem.

- Yorba Linda, CA, USA

Oct 012010

Mustang

Approximately a year ago, the speedometer and fuel gauges on my 2005 Ford Mustang started to malfunction. Since then, they have been giving me false readings. Examples include my fuel level will read at half a tank when I will actually be near empty, the more pressing issue however, is that my speedometer keeps giving me increadibly inaccurate readings, saying I'll be going 90 mph, when I'll really be going 20, or saying that I'm constantly going well over 150mph...even though my car will be parked and turned off. I have read that many other 2005 Mustang owners are having this problem and being told they are having to pay anywhere from $500-600 for the repair when it is clearly Ford motor's fault. I cannot afford to pay this, but I cannot afford to continue having to guess my speed either, it is unsafe, and potentially causing me to break the law by speeding. A recall order needs to be issued to save me and my fellow Mustang owners from having to pay this excessie cost for a problem that is the maker's problem.

- De Leon, TX, USA

May 162010

Mustang

Cluster failure 2005 Mustang, RPM guage not working. Took to dealership since I purchased extended 6-year warranty, Ford refused to fix...so much for the extra warranty!!! not sure that I will ever purchase from Ford again...obviously the cluster is junk, and they are not willing to make things right.

- Colorado Springs, CO, USA

May 012008

Mustang

I have a 2005 Ford Mustang, 4.0 and about 3 years ago the cluster started giving me problems, first the temp and fuel gauges stopped working all together. Then my tachometer and speed started acting very erratic, showing that my tachometer was running above what it should as well my speedometer are going crazy. It shows me doing 120 when I'm doing 40, 55 etc.. why won't Ford recall these clusters in all these cars, they know that they are bad. I almost had another heart attack when I got the price to replace the cluster from the local Ford company, it was going to cost me $800, plus a diagnostic fee of $100. Wow!!!! talk about greed!!!!

- Currie, NC, USA

May 012008

- Currie, NC, USA

Jun 012005

Mustang

When attempting to put gas in the vehicle you have to run it in real slow or the pump will shut off. It acts as if the tank is full even though it is almost empty. Apparently the gas is pooling where the end of the pump releases the gas, there is a sharp slightly uphill right angle for the gas to travel and there is not enough room to for it to move through like other cars. The gas float stopped working as well, the gas needle is buried on the far right side of the guage inside the car, it is worthless, I believe these are related because they happened right around the same time.

- Caldwell, ID, USA

Dec 232008

Mustang

Was driving down the highway Dec 23, 2008 when the entire electrical system on my 2005 Ford Mustang with 25,000 miles on it went completely dead. I purchased this slightly used Mustang at a Chrysler dealer six months ago and I purchased a top of the line extended warr, for $2000 when the vehicle was taken to the Ford dealership my top of the line extended warr. Did not cover the repairs due to the problem being a known factory defect. Ford Motor Company was no help with the problem also due to the car being slightly over the 3 year warr but not over the 36,000 mile warr. I have done some research since then on the matter and found this problem is a big problem with Ford. The internet is loaded with complaints from consumers with this exact same problem as mine. I would imagine driving down the highway at 65 miles per hr could be a catastrophe after losing all electrical power. Ford has a tsb number for this problem, it is tsb 07-14-6. the problem is water is entering the cowl area on the front of car and getting to the electrical system and shorting the system out. To make things worse, after all denied response to fix factory defect, they handed me a bill for $508 to trouble shoot problem when I specifically told the dealership there was a tsb notice on this problem and the problem was that of the tsb 07-14-6. this is no way fair and something has to be done.

- Rochester, PA, USA