8.7

2. reset idle trim (1 reports)
2006 Ford Mustang engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2006 Ford Mustang:

2006 Ford Mustang Owner Comments

Nov 012011

Mustang Premium V6

My 2006 Mustang Convertible has an intermittent problem with stalling. Usually as I decelerate to stop at a red light or stop sign is when I begin to notice it shudders significantly and I get the "wrench" light on the dash. I have to rev the throttle to keep it from stalling and even then it often cuts off. I can always restart after two or three tries and sometimes the wrench light will go out. Most recently the vehicle RPMs will accelerate without me pressing the pedal and I have a constant engine light and an intermittent wrench light. Car has under 22,000 miles on it. Any suggestions, thanks?!

Update from Dec 8, 2011: Update after much looking online and finally finding a reference buried in the maintenance section of my owner's manual, I reset the idle trim. Evidently, when my battery died months ago the proper idle speed was erased from the computer. In order to reset it, I (1) disconncted the negative lead on the battery again and reconnected after a couple of minutes, (2) started the vehicle and let it run for appr. 15 min, keeping foot on the accelerator if necessary, (3) started the A/C and continued to let it idle for at least one minute, and (4) drove it for at least 10 minutes at least 50mph (I drove 30 miles).

Although it is too soon to tell because this has been an intermittent problem I am cautiously optimistic. It drove very smooth yesterday and I stopped several times once I got back into my neighborhood, because stopping at lights and intersections is where I noticed the violent shudder and stalls. Everything went great yesterday and (knock on wood) I didn't have to take it to a dealer or pay for some unnecessary parts or service.

- , Chesapeake, VA, USA

Jun 012010

Mustang

My check engine light has been on and off for a while now. For the past few weeks or so the tool light comes on almost every time I drive. Whenever the tool light would come it would usually just be really hard to drive until I could find a driveway to pull into to restart the car. For the past couple of weeks the tool light and engine light will come on and my car completely shuts down in middle of me driving. It is extremely dangerous to break down in middle of a busy intersection so I figure my only solution for the sake of my families lives is to get rid of it asap. It usually restarts fine but the problem occurs everyday so therefore it is likely to occur in a really bad spot sometime soon and like I said I dont think it is worth the chance of killing my children or myself.

- , Port Orange, FL, USA

May 272010

Mustang V6

The car started stalling last summer whenever you let off the gas, very DANGEROUS!!!! The wrench light came on and that told me to go home in limp mode, took to dealer they had car for 2weeks charged me 125.00 used my gas to tell me nothing is wrong. Got car home drove for awhile suddenely stalling starts took to a private local mechanic he adjusted something and it seemed fine. Then again stalling begins so darn scary when at light and can't keep car running, so take to another mechanic wrench light and engine light are now both on computer tells him to replace throttle mechanism. Get car back drive for 1 week and stalling HELP HELP this car only has 6046 mile what the heck is wrong!!!!!

- , matamoras, pa., USA