2011 Ford Mustang drivetrain problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2011 Ford Mustang:

2011 Ford Mustang Owner Comments (Page 2 of 5)

Nov 022012

Mustang 8-cyl

Car has a long crank time, before the engine starts. Causing ware on starter and flywheel making a noisy start. The hood has paint bubbles on the front right side and now at 70K miles needs a repaint. Car would stall at the stop light, or would not go when the light turned green or making a U-turn. Intermittently check engine light would come on for a cam position sensor. Car at 70K miles, wont pass an emission inspection. Car value, with known paint problem is decreased. Dealer wants $400 to fix hood spot another $200 to look at transmission, $110 to look at the cam sensor issue. My last new Ford!

- Goldsboro, NC, USA

Sep 252013

I was traveling on a major highway at the speed limit (75 mph in this area of Texas) and had just changed lanes when the car would not go, I kept pushing the accelerator and the car would not go. Fortunately, I was able to coast off the highway and was able to go up an off ramp and pull off the shoulder of the road. The Mustang started to make a noise and shuttered, so I turned off the engine being afraid that the engine would be damaged. I was able to start the car again and was able to pull into a parking lot and call for help. The engine started to shutter again and the accelerator would not work. Also, luckily a Ford dealership was with a mile so I was able to drive to it and was told it was a stuck throttle body and charged a deductable for a defective part that Ford should have had a recall on a long time ago. I could have been hit from behind while on the busy highway and injured or killed. Also my transmission fills very "jerky" at times when slowing down or after stopping and starting again from a red light or stop sign. I am very glad that my Mustang is still under warranty.

- Caddo, OK, USA

Jan 242014

While driving under normal conditions the engine service light came on. I checked the computer codes and received a P2111 code which indicates a stuck open throttle actuator control system.

- Happy Valley, OR, USA

Jan 142014

Car stalls while driving. Every time I drive it stalls when applying the gas mildly. Error code P2112 throttle body actuator stuck closed. No carbo no hit, clean throttle body.

- Pembroke Pines, FL, USA

Nov 052013

Mustang 8-cyl

The Ford vehicle showed the following signs at the time of shifting into higher gears, transmission failing to synchronize, slow reaction, harsh shifts, grinding gear noises at low and high RPM.

- Hollywood, FL, USA

Dec 142013

Mustang 6-cyl

Documentation on this vehicle was previously posted on 12/5/13. As noted; ongoing to transmission/ clutch problems post tsb repairs continue. My vehicle requires the clutch pedal to be engaged completely down to the floorboard during the initial key start process, thereafter; the clutch pedal must be engaged at a minimum to floorboard to the maximum of approximately 1 -2 inches off floorboard. Due to my height ( 5'3"), I am not comfortable seated so close to the steering wheel. I am concerned about possible bodily harm or injury due to airbag deployment beyond potentially common injuries due to air bag burns. I have taken the vehicle to my local Ford dealership to explore the option of clutch pedal adjustment, to no avail. I was told by the service advisor that the clutch is hydraulic, therefore clutch pedal height cannot be adjusted to accommodate. I personally have owned several manual transmission driven vehicles which include past ownership of a Ford Mustang GT convertible without these issues or problems.

- Ft White, FL, USA

Dec 052013

Mustang 6-cyl

Vehicle is difficult ( feels notchy ) to shift gears between first and second gears. Ambient temperature is not a factor. The problem is constant regardless to outside temperatures. Occasionally gears grind when shifting at higher rpms. Vehicle does not seem to grab into gear completely one gears are shifted from first through third gears. In addition too: Vehicle is difficult to steer/ vehicle seems to drift to the left side of roadway.

- Ft White, FL, USA

Nov 072013

Mustang 6-cyl

The car lost power and a wrench icon showed up on dashboard. I was driving and manage to get to the side of the road. I turned off the car and when I tried to restart it the start switch got stuck and it wouldn't start. I had to try twice before I was able to start the car to make it home. This is the third time it happens. I had brought in the car for service, back at the beginning of this year, more than four times to the dealer where I got it from rountreemoore in lake city, fl. They said there is nothing wrong with is still under warranty.

- Live Oak, FL, USA

Oct 052011

Mustang 6-cyl

Bad shift quality, radical shifting, take off jerk or trying to stall at take off on 6R80 automatic transmission. Forward motion with brake applied at stop sometimes. Rear end pops and jerks loudly when these things happen. Been happening for about 2 years now. Has been in shop for these reasons 8 times in 2 years at 2 different dealerships with no fix! everything mostly happen at low speed between 1st and 2nd gears or even at stop.very unsafe to drive as is but Ford dealership says everything is normal and blaming driving habits on wife and I, even after many parts have been replaced! it is not fixed and Ford will help!

- Milan, TN, USA

Jan 082013

Mustang 6-cyl

When slowing down I notice the car has a delayed down shift almost like a hit from the back, I've never experience this type of ride unless the car had transmission issues, I really hope that's not the problem the car is only 2 yrs old and the warranty is gone on it, I have read in the forums online where others are experiencing this same unexplained down shift. This appears to be some type of factory goof up and it really makes Ford look bad (this is my first Ford). Now I understand why people have such low faith in american made cars you get a warranty that's over in 3 years and you have mechanical problems such as this that should be recalled and serviced immediately.

- Atlanta, GA, USA

Aug 172013

Mustang 8-cyl

Getting on turnpike I went through the gear when I went into it grind real bad. Also down shifting it would was okay in all the other gears. Also when first driven it was hard to shift until trans warms up.

- Hatboro, PA, USA

Aug 062013

Mustang 6-cyl

The car began sputtering and then the engine died after pulling off of the interstate. The wrench light flashed and then the check engine light came on and stayed on. The car was analyzed at the Ford dealership and diagnosed with the throttle body assembly actuator as the problem. There currently is no recall. The labor and part were $430.16 I should be reimbursed by Ford for this since it is a safety issue. I was fortunate there were no cars behind me. The technician indicated there was a life safety issue.

- Saint Charles , MO, USA

Jul 152013

Was traveling on a freeway when a the care lost power and began slowing down. A little wrench icon appeared. I there was no place to pull over so I turned on flashers and rode on the highway until the care stopped. Traffic behind me swerved to avoid my car. I restarted the vehicle and continued on my way. The vehicle failed 3 more times on the way home.

- Smithville, TX, USA

Mar 132012

Mustang 6-cyl

It's known on the forums at the internet the problem that the V6 Mustangs from 2011 and on are having. The V6 Mustang's with automatic transmissions are presenting a problem when coming to a stop or when you push the gas rapidly, the shifting of the car has some kind of lateness response causing when you come to a stop to feel like a bang in the car after you have come to a stop or when you step on the gas the car wont react rapidly. This cars are presenting some kind of problem with some internal parts on the transmission (solenoids) and when you take the cars to the dealerships for repair the employees always says that there is nothing wrong with the cars. Ford is not taking responsibility of this defects on the V6's automatics because they don't want to make a recall on the cars and they know what the cars have. I'm asking for your company to take action on this matter since there are a lot of us out there with this problem and when you take the car to the dealerships is always the same thing. Please check on the forums and see how many of us are presenting this kind of problem. It's time that Ford comes out and assume the responsibility on this matter.

- San Juan, PR, USA

Dec 142010

The contact owns a 2011 Ford Mustang. The contact was driving approximately 10 mph when a grinding noise was heard from the vehicle. In addition, there was a delayed response from the manual transmission when shifting into second or third gear. The failure recurred when driving between 10-30 mph. The vehicle was taken to an authorized dealer where the old transmission fluid was removed and replaced with a higher grade. The failure continued to recur. There was a technical service bulletin under NHTSA action number: 1003914 (power train: Manual transmission) that was possibly related to the failure. The manufacturer was not notified of the problem. The approximate failure mileage was 10.

- Sandown, NH, USA

May 222012

Mustang 6-cyl

Mild to violent vibration from manual transmission upon downshifting for deceleration on exit ramp in the range of 5500-2500 RPM. Mild to violent shaking felt through car...steering wheel, shifter, pedals...seats... engine speed is matched to transmission speed prior to clutch engagement. I've been driving manual shift cars, Mustang GT, small british and american cars for over 35 years. When staying in third gear for example in traffic that speeds up and slows down, vibrations come on above 2500 RPM this is an intermittent problem. More noticeable now in the warm weather. I drive about 35 miles each way to and from work. When the car is thoroughly warmed, I experience it everyday now in the warm weather. Placed into Ford dealer in Decatur, al. He kept the car 4 complete days and after waiting for news I went and got it back. As I was leaving the dealer, the service manager who never looked up from his paperwork, said "we couldn't find anything". when I put the car in for service it had 34000 miles on it. Now it has over 36,000. This is getting worse with age and mileage. I wonder if at 50000 miles if the car will be undriveable?

- Hartselle, AL, USA

Jun 182012

Mustang 8-cyl

2011 shelby GT500 - brought this car in for grinding into 2nd gear (all other gears seem the moment). Was told that all Ford would do is replace 2nd gear, which they did and was also told that it was our driving and replacing 2nd gear is all that they would do. We were told by the regional rep and engineer that...quoted - "we have to have the clutch all the way down to the floor before shifting (engaged). The reason it will grind between 1st and 2nd and not into the other gears is because vehicle has bigger jump in RPM from 1st to 2nd. Vehicle is shifting correctly as designed.". totally disagree...very upsetting since it is their flagship car and am told this is all they will do.

- Bristol, CT, USA

Aug 072012

The contact owns a 2011 Ford Mustang. The contact was traveling 25 mph when the vehicle failed to shift into second and third gear. The vehicle was taken to the dealer. The manufacturer was not contacted. The vehicle was not repaired and the VIN was unknown. The failure and current mileages were 27,000.

- Wymore, NE, USA

Feb 202012

Mustang 6-cyl

After I first purchased the vehicle I noticed a vibration in the shifter which eminated from the transmission. I took it back to the Ford dealership aprroximately a month or more later and was informed there was no issue with the transmission. However, to this day there exists a very noticable vibration with increasing episodes of difficulty changing gears between # 5 to 2, either shifting up or down. It is more noticable when down shifting. On more than one occasion I had to shift into another gear above what I was attempting to go for because the gear would not connect into proper placement. This caused a brief back up when going onto the freeway with several cars behind me due to the transmission being stuck in a particular gear setting (#3). This cleared once I changed to a lower gear ratio.

- Charles Town, WV, USA

Jul 042012

When shifting from 1st to 2nd gear transmission will not shift, it must be force into 2nd gear. Also 5th gear grinds at normal highway speeds. Vehicle will not shift into reverse unless engine is off, must shift to reverse, start engine and then vehicle will move in reverse. While driving there is no vibration, nor whinning noises. Once vehicle has been shut down and engine is cold, can not shift into 1st gear, after vehicle has set over night, can only place into 1st gear before startup.

- Lawton, OK, USA