2011 Ford Mustang drivetrain problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2011 Ford Mustang:

2011 Ford Mustang Owner Comments (Page 3 of 5)

Sep 232010

Mustang

The transmission displays grinding noises and difficulty upshifting from 2nd to 3rd or 4th to 5th when the clutch is pressed all the way down. I have issues getting car into 1st gear from neutral at a red light sometimes. Transmission will not allow me to go into reverse when clutch is pushed down to floor during cold starts. Transmission feels and sounds clunky when shifting into all gears. This is what happens when we have our transmissions made in china. Skip shift is not causing damaged synchros, broken shift forks and shattered gear teeth inside the numerous failed MT82's; low quality components and materials is causing it.

- Raleigh, NC, USA

Jun 302011

Mustang

Unable to shift car in reverse at first ( trying to back into parking space. ) then could not get the car into any gear at all for about 30 to 60 secs.

- Columbus, OH, USA

Apr 112011

Mustang 8-cyl

I have a 2011 Ford Mustang shelby GT500 and I was waiting at a stop light finally I had a clear shot to go I started to go turning left went to shift it in 2nd gear and it would not go into 2nd it just grinded for a few seconds then went into gear seconds before a car was coming and slammed on its brakes barley hitting me. Then anytime and everytime I merge into traffic getting on the highway shifting from 4th to 5th gear my 5th gear grinds or disappears and I sometimes get ran off the high one time I almost got rearended. My reverse and 5th gear were grinding bad around 1700 miles brought it to Ford they replaced 5th reverse forks and syncros still didn't solve the problem still does it today at 2700 miles. Please help me thanks.

- Green Bay, WI, USA

Mar 042011

Mustang 8-cyl

Unsuspecting shift issue, some what dangerous. Shifting problem, almost overnight 24 hour period. Does not want to shift, 6 speed manual. Repeated technical service reports found online, about fluid, about bolts loosing, sheering of pins and similar issues with 6 speed trans. Ford won't discuss fixing anything, I am told that "abuse" has caused the issues. I am looking into repairs at private shop. Ford needs to stand behind there short comings, and not dump it on consumers.

- Fairfield, PA, USA

Mar 302012

Mustang 6-cyl

Mt-82 transmission has begun to whine.

- Hanover Park, IL, USA

Mar 012012

Mustang 6-cyl

I was driving my 2011 Ford Mustang GT at approximately 6pm on 1 March 2012. I shifted from 2nd to 3rd and when I did, the clutch pedal stayed on the floor. I could smell excessive clutch wear after the incident. I am thankful that I am an experienced driver and was able to stop the vehicle safely. Now the clutch stays engaged and you can not shift in to any gear while the car is running. Ford has refused to warranty the repairs. Mileage at the time 27,000.

- Merryville, LA, USA

Mar 102012

Mustang 6-cyl

I read several details about people having difficulty shifting in high revs or when driving fast but I do neither. I travel at highway speeds and have had difficulty shifting from one gear to another and end up reducing my speed in order to have the transmission engage or even speed up just to "hunt" for the next gear. On three occasions this has caused me concern while driving on surface streets becasue traffic is heavy and some people drive very fast and close. I am getting ready (next week) to take my car to the dealer and have them examine the problem becasue it is causing me concern about my saferty and that of family members. My wife does not want to drive it anymore becasue she was also experiencing shifting difficulties. Additionally, there is a vibration occurring while shifting or getting ready to shift that has never occurred in any other manual transmission vehicle I have owned.

- Charles Town, WV, USA

Feb 012012

Mustang

The contact owns a 2011 Ford Mustang GT. The contact was driving 25 mph when the vehicle failed to shift gears properly. The vehicle was not taken to the dealer. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 6,009 and the current mileage was 6,950.

- Cleves, OH, USA

Apr 012011

Mustang 6-cyl

The car began to have intermittent shifting problems about 3-4 months after I bought the car. When slowing down and then accelerating, the car would not shift into gear and then lurch and make a popping noise (first time it did this, I thought someone had bumped my car in traffic). I dismissed it the first few times it happened. Then it began to happen on a more frequent basis, not as bad as the few prior times but more frequently. I took the car to the dealership back in July or August 2011 and was told they could not duplicate the problem. After that I took the car in 3 more times and was told the same thing. Finally this week, I called Ford Motor Company and now their customer relations department is handling my case. The car has been at the dealership since Tuesday and I was told yesterday they think it is a bad shifting solenoid and have ordered the part. I'm not even confident as this point, if replacing the solenoid is going to fix the problems. I wanted to make a complaint as I know you are investigating Ford Mustangs for the shifting issues. I am concerned as there have been several times I thought I was going to have an accident because the car would not shift properly and accelerate. I believe that the only reason the issues on my car have finally been addressed is because I called Ford directly. It appears according to the information that I have been able to locate on line, Ford may have known about the shifting problems since mid last year but the consumer has been left in the dark about the issue.

- Spring , TX, USA

Oct 132011

Mustang

Purchased new 2011 Mustang GT. Been having problems with gears being very notchy and difficult to shift. I have had 2 accounts where I was nearly rearended while coming off a yield due to the fact that 4th gear would not shift in place. 4th gear consistently locks at high RPM, 5th gear grinds, and all gears are hard to manage in below 60 degree temperatures. It has been at the dealership for a month and a half, got it back and within 2 weeks the same problems arose. Currently back at the dealership. Ford has done nothing to resolve this recurring issue.

- Greensburg, PA, USA

Apr 012011

Mustang 8-cyl

Just a few of the issues I had while my car. I was told there was no problem with my car after I almost got killed twice because it would not down shift into lower gears at highway speeds. Trans will look up once shifter is in between gears and will not go into gears still speed and RPM slow down. Most evident when trying to go from 6th to 4th. I was almost in an accident twice because I was not able to down shift to get out of the way of a oncoming traffic. Had a cracked rim that was obviously a casting defect. Had a ticking in the engine after long trips.. 5.0 sounded like a diesel.

- Elyria, OH, USA

Jan 062012

Mustang 8-cyl

I was driving my 2011 Ford Mustang GT at approximately 8pm on 6 Jan 2012. I shifted from 2nd to 3rd and when I did, the clutch pedal stayed on the floor. I could smell excessive clutch wear after the incident. I am thankful that I am an experienced driver and was able to stop the vehicle safely. Now the clutch stays engaged and you can not shift in to any gear while the car is running. My car is now parked and I will not be able to drive it for almost one month due to waiting parts coming from the states to where I am stationed in South Korea. The Ford service center here has been very friendly and willing to help resolve the issue. They identified the issue as my clutch. Finally, something gave with my Mustang and hopefully can get the problem finally resolved and can enjoy my car.

- Apo, AP, USA

Feb 092011

Mustang 6-cyl

I have had nothing but problems with this car... first at a little over 1000 miles the car wouldn't go into first or reverse without a lot of forcing and double clutching... local dealer said of we need to swap your transmission fluid to full sythetic and it'll work like new. That did nothing soon the car wouldn't go into fourth gear and wouldn't downshift to third gear either. It went back to.the shop they said they fixed it but even the tech said it wasnt 100% fixed and that it may periodically mess up. Soon there repairs got worse the car would completely lock rear wheels during simple downshifts or upshifts. They repaired again. At one point on the intestate it locked up and the person behind me lost controll and spun into.the grass off the road.. it went in again for repairs this time the clutch needed adjusting and the fixed some.failed parts... then the rear started leaking this past thanksgiving and I was stuck.in myrtle beach and the car was at the dealer there and the part the needed to.fix the car was on back order. I'm a 22 year old guy with serious health problems trying to.enjoy.myself but the stress from this car is killing me and the car has caused an accident and I don't feel safe in it... Ford says there sorry but won't really do.anything its spent over 80 days in the shop. For said I need a lawyer or they won't do anything to help me. I have filed multiple crc complaints but.Ford closes them when they say the cars fixed which it never is. Currently the cars been in the dealer the last 10 days and they say its fixed but also. Say its shaking cause my rims bent from rear end lock ups and I have wheel and tire coverage and they still won't fix the issue L. please help me.

- Atlanta, GA, USA

May 112011

Mustang

Contact reports driveshaft failed. Part replaced under warranty. Replacement driveshaft failed almost immediately. Driveshafts are ripping themselves in half where they are stamped from thin sheet metal. If the driveshaft fails while driving, not only will the car no longer have power to move but may go out of control and crash.

- Houston, TX, USA

May 022011

Mustang 8-cyl

Bought this 2011 Ford Mustang on April 8 2011. Everything was fine for about this first month. Car did not want to start when clutch was pressed down had 800 miles at the time, classic Ford 1st dealer said needed a clutch adjustment? its hydraulic there is no adjustment on them! they had the car for about 6 hours to tell me that. Clutch still felt funny, started hearing grinding, shifter would get stuck in R,1,2,3,4 gears then it went out stuck in 2nd gear! 2nd dealer jim hudson Ford took it to had it for 3 weeks before I got it back car had 6,000 miles on it needed a brand new clutch system from what Ford said. It was not a recall on the car they said it was a bad design! still is not right for Ford to push it under the rug like its not a big deal. These cars cost too much for us to be having problems with them and most our children that ride with us. I would like to know more info about this please thanks.

- Columbia, SC, USA

Apr 202011

Mustang 8-cyl

Manual transmission shifting problem, many times I have experienced in 2nd and 5th gear that it is very hard to shift with clutch all the way in. In second gear I am around 10 mph and at 5th gear I am around 50 mph - 60 mph. During cold start the shifting to second gear is even more impossible and it can cause an accident specially when crossing intersection because the vehicle does not go into 2nd gear right away.

- Austin, TX, USA

Nov 012011

Mustang 8-cyl

Shifting from 1st to 2nd gear clunking slipped out of gear transmission problems.

- Patchogue, NY, USA

Nov 192011

Mustang 8-cyl

"transmission notchiness "occasionally unable to get into gears (not due to skip shift) "clutch makes occasional clunking noises especially at low speeds "cold shifting exacerbates problems (will be taken care of by tsb) dangerous experiences: ?November 18th: I was accelerating onto the highway to merge with traffic. Attempted to shift from third gear to fourth gear as I was passing a semi. I was unable to get into gear (shifting correctly: Clutch depressed, calm smooth gear change), and I was forced to drive off the road at 35+ mph. This life threatening experience moved me to take these actions. ?December 5th: As I was taking the vehicle to a dealership for the third repair attempt, I was turning left at an intersection and had to shift from first to second (at 2000 RPM so no skip shift issue). I was unable to enter the gear and was vulnerable to accidents being stuck in the middle of the intersection for several seconds. I finally shifted into the second gear with a loud grind, avoiding a collision with a bus.

- Fort Smith, AR, USA

Dec 052011

Mustang 8-cyl

I was sitting at a red light waiting for the light to change to green. When the light turned green I was unable to shift in to 1st or 2nd gear. Fortunately I was able to shift in to 3rd gear and get the car moving before coming a road hazard.

- Apo, AP, USA

Nov 162011

Mustang

The contact owns a 2011 Ford Mustang GT. The contact stated that while driving 55 mph, the vehicle would not shift into gear. The contact mentioned that there was and increase in engine rpms and the clutch pedal was depressed into the floorboard. The vehicle was taken to the dealer who diagnosed that the clutch had burned out. As a result, the clutch needed to be replaced. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure who did not offer any assistance. The VIN was not available. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 12,000 and the current mileage was 36,700.

- Baytown, TX, USA