2011 Ford Mustang drivetrain problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2011 Ford Mustang:

2011 Ford Mustang Owner Comments (Page 4 of 5)

Nov 262011

Mustang 8-cyl

The clutch makes a cracking noise. When I shift between 1st and 3rd it can be difficult at times depending on the temperature. The symptoms are not consistent.

- Myrtle Beach, SC, USA

Oct 082010

Mustang 8-cyl

I took delivery on my 2011 Ford Mustang GT/cs in late October of 2010. It had approximately 8 miles on it. From that day forward it was a little stiff to get it to go in to any gear. I had grown a custom to it and just assumed it would smooth out since it was a new car. Now that I have been driving my car as a daily driver for a year the issues have just increased. Sometimes you cannot get the car to shift in to 1st gear without attempting several times. In early September 2011 I was driving on the highway and shifted from 3rd to 4th gear and the clutch pedal remained on the floor. I had read about this but it had not happened to me yet. So I was not to shocked when it happened. My current incident as of 19 Nov 2011 was attempting to shift from 4th to 5th on the highway. I was unable to get it to shift in to 5th gear. I had slowed down and attempted to shift from 2nd through 6th and again, the transmission would not shift in to 5th gear. On 20 Nov 2011, I was driving to work and it was extremely difficult to get the vehicle to shift in to any gear. I am not sure if it is just the transmission or clutch, maybe it is both of them but it is frustrating when you have a new car and pay almost $40,000 for it and it does not work well. This is something I deal with on a daily basis and it happens more in colder weather from what I have seen. Thank you for looking in to this matter.

- Apo, AP, USA

Nov 172011

Mustang

Inability to shift into gears while merging into traffic or while turning left across oncoming traffic both driver and passenger power seats will not move forward or back.

- Cadillac, MI, USA

Jun 302011

Mustang 8-cyl

Brand new Mustang GT/cs 2011 hard shifting in 1st, 2nd, 3rd and 4th. Hard shifting included grindings, loud noise and some times simply can not shift. Problem is more evident when engine is started in the morning. Occasionally while shifting I could feel that the transmission is pushing the shift in the opposite direction I am trying to shift.

- Middletown, DE, USA

Aug 312011

Mustang 6-cyl

My 2011 Mustang has had some transmission issues for the last couple months. After reading some of the forums and getting an idea of some of the issues that other people are having (many of which I am as well), I can report the problem which got noticeably worse over the last few weeks. When driving the vehicle, 1. it's very difficult to shift into first gear (even when the car is stopped you really need to exert a little strength). 2. 1st to 2nd shifts very rocky, and it is very difficult to get a smooth shift from 1st to 2nd without the car bucking. 3. when shifting at a higher RPM from third to fourth (such as when accelerating on an onramp to merge onto a highway when the RPM may be exceeding 3500-4000 rpms), there is a tremendous grind in the shift, and to avoid I must shift into neutral from third wait a second and then engage into fourth. 4. when downshifting I have noticed that the front end seems to be almost locking up especially when the wheel is turned (this is within the last week), and all of these issues have exacerbated themselves since the cold weather has arrived.

- Shrewsbury , MA, USA

Nov 012010

Mustang 8-cyl

Many times unable to select and engage gears with the manual transmission while accelerating. Problem seems to be most frequent when making a left turn, creating a dangerous situation by pulling out into fast moving traffic, but unable to accelerate due to gear lock-out (usually second gear, but sometimes third as well).

- Rock Hill, SC, USA

Feb 022011

Mustang 8-cyl

2011 Ford, Mustang GT 5.0, manual 6 speed: Early 2011 (Jan-Feb) I have taken the car in numerous times to the rodeo Ford service repair center about the grinding and rough shifting from 1st to 2nd and 2nd to 3rd. A Ford service ticket has been opened to track the issue and dealer repairs made. The dealers service manager has driven the vehicle, with me present, and has noticed the same grind and rough shift pattern as described. The service center implemented the technical service bulletin tsb 11-3-18, ┐the increased shift effort may be the result of the increased viscosity of the transmission fluid in cold weather┐?. the weather in AZ does no┐┐T get that cold and it continued even during the summer months. I had also requested that the 1st to 4th skip shift be disabled, with no change in shifting. I drive the car approximately 10 miles a day to get to work, but I do no┐┐T drive it like I would like to, I have to be extremely careful not to pull out in front of anyone. Current mileage is 2,900 miles.

- Goodyear, AZ, USA

Sep 032011

Mustang 6-cyl

Very notchy transmission and can't shift gear at certain RPM's. also, transmission would pop out of gear on the highway. All problems started appearing after the first 1000 miles. When complained to Ford, I was told that all of those problems are normal.

- Newark, DE, USA

Oct 232011

Mustang

2011 Mustang GT with 6477 miles, with 6 speed manual transmission. Taking off from a stop sign and attempting to shift from 1st gear to 2nd gear, resulted in only being able to shift from 1st gear to neutral. Once the shifter moved into the neutral position, the vehicle is no longer able to shift into any gear. Had to coast the vehicle to a safe stopping point with no engine power and towed to the nearest dealer for repair. This is the 2nd incident with the transmission on this vehicle in less than 1 year, with the prior incident being a faulty slave clutch cylinder. (this vehicle is not equipped with the 'skip shift' feature that is meant to increase gas mileage by locking out certain gears.)

- Lancaster, CA, USA

Oct 202010

Mustang

The contact owns a 2011 Ford Mustang GT. The contact stated that when attempting to shift gears manually from first to second, the vehicle would skip second and shift into third gear, distorting the vehicles speed. Also, when shifting from first to second gear, the vehicle would exhibit a clunking and grinding noise. The dealer was notified of the defect, but the vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 2,000 and the current mileage was 7,500.

- Highland Village, TX, USA

Oct 102011

Mustang 6-cyl

My 6-speed trans will not engage into gear. For example, I entered onto the highway and could not shift from 2nd gear to 3rd gear and when I was able again the clutch made a "pop" noise and raised 3-5 inches towards my foot. After that incident I cannot shift or accelerate and the ride is rough now.

- Edmond, OK, USA

Apr 012011

Mustang 8-cyl

Rough, irregular shifting, most noticeable shifting from 1st gear on this manual transmission. Seems to lock you out of gears at any given time. Also while down shifting, I.e. exiting off the highway onto an exit ramp, have experienced a similar problem. From 6th gear, the transmission locked me out of 4th gear and forced me into 2nd gear. This caused a massive and sudden decrease in speed causing the vehicle behind me to slam on their brakes in order to avoid rear-ending me. Persistent grinding noise and feel while the car is being shifted, as if the gears are not meshing when shifted. Noticeable in the feel of the stick and audible at times as well. This is noticeable in most gears in particular 2nd thru 5th. The transmission constantly makes a hard clunking noise when it is put into first gear from neutral. This clunk can be heard and felt in the car clearly. I've had this vehicle to the dealer several times, keep getting the run-around, I.e., "that is normal", "our tech's couldn't reproduce the problem" etc...standard dealer deflection.

- Bloomfield Hills, MI, USA

Aug 012011

Mustang 8-cyl

Mt 82 6 speed transmission failed to down shift properly creating a near miss situation due to driver not being able to select lower gear to power up to exceed or at least match the speed of on coming vehicle. The on coming vehicle was a semi traveling 55 mph in 55 mph posted speed zone. Had the vehicle performed properly sufficient speed would have been achieved as to not impede the progress of the approaching semi. A reasonable and acceptable amount of distance was present prior to pulling out into traffic. Dealer was advised and performed a change of fluid to a duel clutch fluid which and I installed an aftermarket shifter (mgw shifter) which made a slight improvement. I still believe a design issue exists. Placement into gear is often difficult and up shifting is not smooth as it should be. This transmission has done this on multiple occasions. I am not sure how many complaints there have been but this transmission defect in the 2011 Mustang is common knowledge among Mustang web sites and forums. The general feeling is Ford has not been as aggressive as they should be to find a solution for this issue.

- Haines City, FL, USA

Jan 022011

Mustang 8-cyl

The manual transmission in my 2011 Ford Mustang GT has given me problems for the past year of ownership. There have been multiple incidents where the transmission will not go into 2nd gear. The gear appears/feels to be "locked out". this has happened while pulling out across on-coming traffic, and I have had numerous close calls. I also have horrible gear while/noise, and grinding shifts almost all the time. Ford has rebuilt my transmission, but refuses to do anything else with the car. They claim that this is "normal" for this car. My wife drives the vehicle, and I fear for her safety. Please help me!

- Gray, LA, USA

Jan 012011

Mustang 8-cyl

2011 Mustang GT with a manual transmission has problems shifting. I am sometimes unable to shift into first or third gears because the transmission will lock me out. I have to shift around to various other gears to sort of "reset it" and get it into gear, or give up on the gear I'm trying to get into and use a different gear instead. Sometimes I'll try to push the shifter into 1st gear and it will resist going in. If I try to force it, it will grind, even with the clutch fully depressed. This has been unsafe on a number of occasions, and I try to never shift right before a light turns green, because I may be locked out of first and hold up traffic. I'm basically afraid of shifting into 1st gear now. This started as soon as I got the car. I took the car in to have a tsb performed and they put in some special replacement transmission fluid that is fully synthetic. It made things more smooth and less knotchy when shifting in general, but the lock out fears for 1st and 3rd gear persist.

- Corte Madera, CA, USA

Sep 082011

Mustang 8-cyl

Faulty 6-speed manual transmission. Any time the vehicle is on an incline 20 degrees or higher and being shifted from 2nd gear (around 18-20mph) to any other gear the shifter gets stuck in neutral with inability to go to any other gear until the engine RPM drops. This shifting delay can take anywhere form 3 to 7 seconds, before another gear is available to engage.

- Burlington, MA, USA

Aug 012010

Mustang

Manual transmission, 2nd gear occasionally cannot be selected on acceleration even with clutch fully depressed. Car coasts until another gear is selected or forced into gear by "double clutching". dealer replaced clutch pressure plate bolts and bled clutch lines. Problem occurs less often, but still there. Below 70 degrees ambient temperature 2nd gear grinds until up to operating temperature and third gear "kicks back" the shifter. A year and 10000 miles later no change. Problem is so random that dealer cannot reproduce adequately to get Ford to authorize any repair. Ford customer service reports it is "normal" for a performance car to change gears poorly.

- Richmond, IN, USA

Sep 012011

Mustang 8-cyl

I have only owned this car for 3 months. It has 4400 miles on it and the manual transmission is acting up. Sometimes I cannot get it to go in to gear, usually 1st, 2nd, and reverse. It will occasionally jump out of gear with normal operation. This car is very unsafe with this problem. I live in the dallas metroplex, with the stop and go traffic sometimes a driver doesn't see the cars in front stopped and you have to get out of their way. With this problem I can guarantee that I would get rear ended in that situation. Even after sitting at a light I sometimes am getting honked at since I cannot get the car into gear. I believe this to be a very serious safety issue as well as a huge annoyance. This needs to be fixed.

- Dallas, TX, USA

Aug 272011

Mustang 8-cyl

(note: Car is a Mustang GT 5 liter) this incident followed my initial drivetrain complaints to my local dealership and their replacement of my clutch pedal assembly. Entering a highway, I approached a speed of approximately 75 mph in 3rd gear, taking the engine close to 6K RPM. When attempting to shift into 4th with the clutch pedal fully pressed to the floor, the stick would not budge into the 4th gear slot. As the car was slowing down, I tried other gear slots: 5th, then 6th, 4th again, to 3rd. Nothing. Finally, I removed my left foot from the pedal altogether and noticed the pedal was stuck to the floor. After pumping it to no avail, I wedged my foot under the pedal to kick it back up. My drivetrain was once again responsive. I was already aware of a rumor that later model Mustangs had high RPM gear-shifting issues, but this was the first personal occurrence for me. Based on this suspicion, I attempted to recreate it on the way back home and I was once again able to freeze my clutch to the floor. My car is currently in for repair, and I believe they are replacing the clutch and pressure plate for their next fix attempt.

- Okemos, MI, USA

Feb 092011

Mustang 8-cyl

At 150 miles on the odometer the transmission began to grind second gear while turning left. I took it to the dealer, and they changed the fluid as per T.S.B. there was zero change. I took it back to the dealer, and they said it was normal and was a 'break in' issue. Despite disagreeing I drove it until there was around 10,000 miles on it. At this point it was nearly impossible to shift into second when turning left without physically forcing it to the point I was skipping to third. Also third gear had developed the same issues intermittently. I took it back in, and they bled the clutch. After receiving the car I took it back the next week, as obviously it did not fix anything. Ford decided to replace the transmission. The technician reported all syncros and blocking rings were extremely worn and second and third gears showed signs of wear. He also reported the input shaft bearing had showed signs that it had been very hot. After receiving my car back I noticed a difference, now the shifter linkage had a noticeable popping/binding feeling in the linkage when moving the shifter back and forth in the nuetral position. I was informed that it was abnormal, but that other cars on the lot had the same issue. Which later I found out to be a lie. After about 100 miles it has shown the same exact symptoms as before including the new linkage issue. I drove the car with the technician with me for an extended period of time. I was able to duplicate the issue when turning left. The technician was also able to notice this issue when he was driving. Even though it happens only when turning left and only when changing to second gear, he again lied to me and told me that it was normal, and that in all cars you have to wait a little bit for the syncro's to catch up and it is normal to have to wait a few seconds while holding it up to the syncros for it to slide in. Please contact me.

- Arlington, TX, USA