2011 Ford Mustang drivetrain problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2011 Ford Mustang:

2011 Ford Mustang Owner Comments (Page 5 of 5)

Jul 092011

I am having difficulty upshifting gears 2 to 3 and 3 to 4 and I am at times unable to downshift which has caused me to have to move out of the way of other vehicles and it's distraction to me driving. I have taken my Mustang to winter haven Ford dealer and described in detail the issues I am having, they said there are no issues with my transmission, I have owned several other Mustangs with manual transmission and have never had trouble shifting gears. I have asked other owners of the 2011 Mustangs and everybody seems to have the same complaint

- Winter Haven, FL, USA

Sep 032011

Mustang 8-cyl

If I take my foot off of the gas the car seems to lower it's rpms by itself almost to the point of it feeling like it is braking without any help from me. This happens pretty much at any speed. Also there seems to be an issue when slowing/stopping and accelerating. When I start slowing down and then have to press the gas the car jolts like it goes from 1st gear to 4th gear instantly. This is not a good feeling at all and kind of scary. It almost feels like the car is going to take off without me. Had this issue before and after the transmission was replaced at 1500 miles.

- Seaside, CA, USA

Mar 142011

Mustang 8-cyl

Heading up a hill and heard a loud grinding sound. Car stopped in place and would not go anywhere when pressing on the gas. Tried putting the car in reverse and would not move at all. Also tried putting in neutral and it still would not move. Had car towed to Ford dealership and the service department checked the car out and stated that the transmission "grenaded" as it stated on the work order. I got to see what the transmission looked like. It had pieces of metal everywhere and the long bearings were all shattered into pieces. A new transmission was ordered and placed in the car.

- Seaside, CA, USA

Sep 072010

The contact owns a 2011 Ford Mustang GT. The contact started the ignition and when shifting from first into second gear a roughness in the response occurred with an unusual noise. The vehicle was taken to an authorized dealer who stated the transmission operated properly. The manufacturer was notified of the problem. The approximate failure mileage was 75.

- Thousand Oaks , CA, USA

Oct 222010

This vehicle has a 6 speed manual transmission which is unusually difficult to shift from one gear to the next, in both upshift and downshift. Ambient and vehicle temperature are not factors what-so-ever. The problem has been with the car since brand-new. Sometimes it is impossible to get into the desired gear at all. Safety has been compromised numerous times, especially when crossing traffic while executing a left turn at intersections, causing driver distraction and vehicle swerving while driver is struggling to shift from first to second gear. Also while merging with highway traffic, acceleration is abruptly interrupted and driver is dangerously distracted while struggling with the uncooperative gear shift. The transmission exhibits an unusually great deal of resistance to going into the next gear in sequence, 1-2, 2-3, 3-4, 4-5 and 5-6. this resistance is significant at shifts in even the lowest RPM range and the resistance increases drastically and proportionately with the increase in RPM of the engine at the time a gear shift is attempted. The most dangerous incidents have occurred while attempting to pass another vehicle on a two lane highway. Usually, I will downshift to fourth gear and accelerate while maneuvering around the car in front. At the point where I am committed to my action, (being fully in the lane of oncoming traffic and parallel to the other car, I will experience an unsuccessful shift and be faced with having to either abort my passing attempt or continue to struggle to engage the gear shift while being dangerously distracted by this problem at what is perhaps one of the most inopportune times for a driver to be distracted. I do not look forward to experience these dangerous driving phenomena when compounded by Colorado's winter weather.

- Aurora, CO, USA

Jul 052011

Mustang 8-cyl

2011 Mustang GT with manual transmission- inability to shift into 3rd gear. It almost caused an accident as I was stuck slowing down into on coming traffic. The car is been in the shop multiple times. Also has severe knocking in the engine that goes way after 5 minutes. Ford states this is piston rattle and they tried a software fix. Nothing helped.I'm afraid of the engine damage or catastrophic engine failure while driving. There are youtube videos posted labeled 2011 Mustang knock. Ford is aware... they referred me to it(at least the service tech did. Ford is doing nothing!!! the car has been in the shop 5-6 times and there is under 5000 miles. The car had only 300 miles on it when they had to replace the gas tank pump because it dropped to zero at with a half tank of gas left. There is a bulletin on this. Help before some gets hurt by the transmission problem or the engine blowing out!!!!

- Monroe Township, NJ, USA

Jul 292011

Mustang 8-cyl

Normal everyday driving, mostly highway driving back and forth to work. I bought the car brand new and at this time it has about 10K miles. Since I bought it I noticed it was hard to shift into gears. Over time it got worse. It got to the point that I could not put it into reverse and first gear, I had to start out in second gear. I took my car into the shop to repair the item and they said it was the clutch plate. Bottom line is that it was a brand new car and shouldn't have this kind of problem. I also feel that it could have caused damage to the transmission which the dealer will not admit to.

- Oklahoma City, OK, USA

May 012011

Manual transmission started to become difficult to shift into gear at random times at around 6000 miles. Problem seems to be getting worse, involving grinds, and at times difficulty even getting into certain gears. I can see where this could be a serious safety issue, ie: Pulling into fast traffic, and not being able to properly engage gears. Manufacturer offers no solution so far, advises "normal" characteristics for this car.

- Roanoke, VA, USA

Jan 012011

The manual transmissions in these cars are starting to fail left and right. It takes nothing but a short search online to find that out. My car is no different. The manual transmission in my car locked me out of a gear in the middle of traffic causing me to be nearly rear ended. I am starting to worry for the safety and value of my vehicle and passengers. Ford has done nothing to fix this issue other than offer a fluid change in the transmission. This has been proven to not work because I have this 'fix' and my problems continue. Ford needs to step up and recall these cars and fix the transmissions before someone gets injured or killed.

- Somerset, WI, USA

Mar 232011

2011 Mustang GT manual transmission.....vehicle shifts very rough and from time to time locks 2nd and 3rd gear out creating a safety hazard at intersections when required to stop. This leads to getting into the middle of the intersection and have to try to jam the car into or skip that gear entirely to get out of the intersection.

- Moline, IL, USA