2011 Ford Mustang drivetrain problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2011 Ford Mustang:

2011 Ford Mustang Owner Comments (Page 1 of 5)

Aug 212016

Mustang 6-cyl

2011 Ford Mustang. Consumer writes in regards to unattended vehicle roll-away. The consumer stated he parked the vehicle in the garage. A few minutes later, he heard a noise and when he opened the garage, he discovered his vehicle was tight against the garage door. When he opened the door to the vehicle, he noticed the vehicle was in drive and not in park, although the key was not in the ignition. Upon further evaluation, the consumer discovered the key could be removed from the ignition in any shifter position. The dealer replaced the floor shifter.

- Ann Arbor, MI, USA

Nov 042014

Mustang

I have experienced at high rpms switching from 1st gear to 2nd the transmission failed to go in gear on several occasions.and also 3rd to 4th..dealer says it's common at times.after months of dealing with this issues 5th gear is grinding and is at the dealer for repair at my expense.

- Montgomery, AL, USA

Oct 202015

Mustang

2011 Ford Mustang, while driving home from work at 45-50 mph car shuttered. Then no power, no throttle response with engine holding steady 1100 RPM. Wrench light on dash lit up, RPM at 1100rpm press throttle- no response at all. Steering, brakes all functioning. Turned key off and restarted, car ran fine and has not happened again yet. Car has less than 46000 miles..

- Madison, AL, USA

Sep 162015

Mustang

Driving in city @ 35mph, went to accelerate and nothing happened. Thought engine stalled but still had ps & pb, S. called local shop, said to turn off & restart. Did and throttle returned. Two days later, happened again, on county highway @ about 60 mph. Pulled over, turned off, restarted, went to local shop. No check engine light or wrench "? light came on. Computer test all negative, but probably a bad electronic throttle body needed @ $ 500. +. took car and got on line, not going to spend $ until sure of exact issue. Found NHTSA csp 13N03, addressing my identical issue for 2011 Fusion & escapes with V6 engines, but haven't found for 2011 Mustang. This extends warranty to 150,000, and 10 years. I have 109,879 miles now, and issue happened twice today on interstate @ 75 mph. Popped to nuetral, killed key, restarted on roll both times.after parking car for short while and restarting, check eng ine lite on. Went back to shop & re-tested, this time, throttle body and associated issues dignosed. Since this is obviously a safety issue that is well documented on other models, I need to have my issue treated equally. What can you do to help?" humbly, melody & kenneth pitts

- Dade City, FL, USA

Jul 082015

Mustang

I arrived home from work and noticed some coolant leaking out of my car. I popped the hood and saw coolant seeping from the weep hole. When I cranked the car back up, coolant started pouring out underneath the car, bad water pump. I had it towed to dealership today and was told there is a technical bulletin on the hose leading to water pump because it allows air in and causes the water pump to fail. The entire area has to be replaced with a new hose that includes a check valve, so it doesn't continue to happen. This is an obvious manufacturing defect. I was told any car that came in without a check valve has to be replaced with the new hose including a check valve and that I have to incur the entire expense $486 plus tax because hoses are not covered by powertrain warranty. I called Ford and was told due to no recall, I would not be reimbursed for this service. Even though, he also admitted that there is a technical bulletin issued by Ford regarding this problem. I have googled this and the same problem is all over the Mustang forums. Ford is refusing to stand by their product. Luckily, I was at home when this occurred and not out traveling the highway. This would cause the car to overheat and an accident can occur. Ford is refusing to cover any cost of the repair. This is a safety issue and concerns numerous consumers, not just me.

- Pleasant Garden, NC, USA

May 012015

Mustang

My vehicle loses acceleration of any kind intermittently. This always happens when my foot is off the gas pedal. When I pull over and put the car in park it hesitates loudly. If I turn the car off and let it sit it starts fine after a minute or two. The tech said it is the throttle body and needs to be replaced.

- San Diego, CA, USA

Apr 012015

Mustang 8-cyl

Vehicle speedometer seems to be 8-15 mph too fast. Definitely off.

- Portsmouth, OH, USA

Jan 312015

Mustang 6-cyl

I've never had similar issue before this. I was accelerating slowly at a speed of approximately 20-30 mph when the car lurched, the "traction control" light and wrench light came on, and I was unable to accelerate the car at all. I was forced to pull to the side of the road. After about 30 seconds I attempted to restart the car and the engine turned a few extra times but did start. I was able to drive home (within 0.5 mile) at very slow speeds. Over the next day I tested the car on back roads: It frequently required the engine to turn extra in order to start, and it seemed that whenever I tried to accelerate too rapidly the problem returned and I was forced to coast/brake to a stop and restart the engine. If I accelerated very slowly I was able to drive the car but at no point could I pass 20-30 mph. I had the car towed to my Ford dealership where they diagnosed an electronic throttle body failure based on eec test and code P2112. They noted a stuck etb actuator and etb actuator binding causing system to go into failsafe mode. The etb assembly and full throttle body was replaced and the car drives well now. This is a big safety issue because if I had been on a major freeway or a hill (as are frequent in my area) I could have been involved in a serious injury. The dealership was not aware of or did not offer any extended warranties for defective throttle bodies or sensors and if this exists I am interested to pursue reimbursement of the cost of my repairs and labor.

- San Diego, CA, USA

Apr 092012

Mustang 6-cyl

When slowing to turn left into a parking lot waiting for traffic in the other direction to pass so that I could safely turn...once it is safe to turn, when I step on the accelerator pedal, there is a very slow response time for the vehicle to start accelerating. This is extremely dangerous in that the car won't get out of the way quickly. It hesitates for about 2 seconds after I press the accelerator pedal before any acceleration. This only happens in the condition that I don't come to a complete stop before turning. If I slow to approximately 5 mph or less and then press the pedal to accelerate into the turn, that is when there is a delayed response.

- Center Conway, NH, USA

Sep 182014

Mustang 6-cyl

This began as of last Thursday. I have a 2011 Ford Mustang that I bought just last August. As I was driving on the freeway, a wrench light came on and my car seemed to have stalled on me. I thought maybe it was because it was pouring down raining so I was able to pull over into a parking lot since I was exiting the freeway. I turned off the car after it seemed to vibrate a bit, waited a few moments, turned it back on and it seemed fine. I was able to get home and park it only a few miles from where it happened. I had a doc appointment later that day and was able to get there. It was when I was on my way home that it happened again, on the freeway! it occurred again the next day (Friday) as I was leaving from work. I was on the freeway again in busy traffic and it happened twice except the second time, my engine light came on. My dad took it to a mechanic, it was hooked up to the computer and no code came back. Coolant was put in it and the engine light went off. The throttle body was cleaned. Everything was fine afterwards. Today, I'm driving to work and it goes into limp mode twice on the freeway while drivers are swerving around me! this is not safe at all! I have extended warranty on my car so this is going to have to be fixed asap. To anyone else having this problem, please be careful. Once it goes into limp mode, your speed will drastically decrease and you will not be able to accelerate. It is scary because not all parts of the freeway have a shoulder to pull over...this needs to be a recall before someone is seriously hurt. I've read up on other owner's issues and saw that there have been quite a few wrecks behind this.

- Houston, TX, USA

Jul 052013

Mustang

The contact owns a 2011 Ford Mustang. The contact stated that the front passenger side and rear window tint were deteriorating. The tint was impacting visibility and was removed on the front passenger side. The rear window tint was not removed and needed to be replaced. The vehicle was taken to an authorized dealer multiple times, but no remedy was provided. Upon making a turn or while traveling at any speed, the gears downshifted too fast. The dealer replaced the transmission, but the failure recurred. The manufacturer was notified. The approximate failure mileage was 29,000.

- West Monroe, LA, USA

Jul 092014

Mustang 6-cyl

Defective electronic throttle body (etb) as per dealership diagnosis. Ford customer service is excluding Mustangs from the customer satisfaction program 13N03 - which clearly states there is a problem with etbs during this time. Looking over the internet, it is clear that some Mustangs where built with the same type of etb as the models covered under the program (Fusion, escape, Mercury mariner and Mercury Milan). The program extends the warranty on the throttle body to a total of 10 years or 150,000 miles from the warranty start date, which ever occurs first. This car is extremely dangerous to drive as it basically stalls and cannot be restarted without turning the ignition completely off - which in turn turns off power asset to steering and brakes. Car may take up to 3 or 4 tries to start normally. This stalling condition can occur up to 5 times in an 8 mile trip.

- Little Rock, AR, USA

Dec 192013

Mustang 8-cyl

Around 17000 miles the vehicle clutch pedal took a few seconds to disengage when shifting from 2nd to 3rd on higher rpms. Also, when shifting into 2nd and 3rd at 3-4K rpms, I would feel a notching feel on the shifter from the transmission like if it feeling a few teeth from the transmission's gears or syncros. I am still not sure, dealerships still haven't opened the transmission to find out. Car just hit 36000 miles, found out their was a recall or warranty coverage for the pedal issue, if car under 36000 miles. Was never informed from precious visits. Driver seat also stop working complete, doesn't move anyway.

- Naples, FL, USA

Aug 182014

Mustang 6-cyl

Vehicle stalled on the highway with 'wrench light on" meaning an electrical/engine problem with the throttle system. Car went into 'limp home mode'. dealer says the tbs needs replacing and Ford is having issues with such systems.

- San Marcos, TX, USA

Jul 252014

Mustang 8-cyl

At high RPM's in 2nd gear would not shift into 3rd twice this happened. On normal road conditions noticed 3rd was like neutral so I would have to go from second to fourth then in doing that 4th gear was having issues whether I'm up shifting or downshifting 3rd and 4th no longer work under any condition they feel like neutral so now I only can us 1,2,5,6 I no longer have a 3 and 4. so while at track car never went passed second and the drive home was missing 2 gears just like that.

- Harlingen, TX, USA

Jul 112014

Mustang 6-cyl

The electronic throttle body is defective. The car loses power and nothing happens when I step on the gas, but the engine does not turn off. I have pulled over and the car shakes pretty violently. Once I turn it off and back on everything seems fine for a while but eventually does it again. Got the code P2111.

- Whittier, CA, USA

Jan 112014

Mustang 6-cyl

Vehicle was purchased 11/29/2013/ with 21851 miles on it. I questioned the functioning of my manual transmission within 2 days of delivery with problems such as notchiness in gear shifter / reverse, 1st, 2nd and grinding into 3rd gears. Vehicle sent to Ford. I received the vehicle back on 12/02/13, 25978 miles; was told the vehicle was repaired under Ford tsb- transmission fluid was replaced. The vehicle did present with some improvement. January 11 2013, returned the vehicle back to Ford/ problems again with manual transmission. I experienced gears grinding from park position in attempt to shift gears from reverse to 1st to 2nd, major grind from 3rd to 4th gears. Furthermore; due to awkwardness of the displacement of the clutch pedal ( I am 5'3 ) the vehicle will only function when the clutch pedal is displaced completely down to the floor board which makes my safety vulnerable considering I have to electronically ( electric seats) place my seat forward resulting in body positioned too close to proximity of the steering wheel with my knees located approximately 1 to 2 inches from the dash board. Upon exiting the vehicle, the seat must be positioned backwards in order to exit.transmission issues was addressed by Ford/ extensive transmission work was performed on the vehicle. Again the vehicle was in Ford's shop from 1/11/14 to 3/10/2014...almost 8 weeks!!. June 28, 2014 approximately 32300 miles on it, my vehicle is once again back to Ford due to notchiness of reverse, first, second and third gears/ close seating issues addressed.

- Ft White, FL, USA

Apr 022014

Mustang

The contact owns a 2011 Ford Mustang. The contact stated while driving at various speeds, the wrench warning indicator illuminated and the vehicle decelerated until it came to a complete stop. The vehicle would idle roughly and became very difficult to restart. The problem recurred approximate four times. The vehicle was taken to the dealer. The technician was unable to duplicate the problem.the manufacturer was made aware of the problem. The approximate failure mileage was 67,000.

- Corsicana, TX, USA

Jun 112014

Mustang 6-cyl

When driving down the street all of a sudden it won't accelerate although the engine is still running. I had it towed to a Ford dealership the first time it happened. They told me nothing was wrong. It has been doing it sporadically since then but got so bad the other day I had to have it towed in again. This time they replaced the throttle body. If they had caught it the first time while it was under warranty I wouldn't have had to pay $556.72 today. Luckily the safety problem never happened to me while I was driving on the expressway! updated 012/24/2014

- Tulsa, OK, USA

May 082014

Mustang 8-cyl

Was accelerating to merge with traffic on freeway when my car would not shift and the clutch pedal depressed to the floor. I was in the middle of merging and lost the ability to shift or control why vehicle. It created a very unsafe situation and Ford issued a recall for this very same issues for earlier Mustang.

- Henderson, NV, USA