2011 Ford Mustang engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2011 Ford Mustang:

2011 Ford Mustang Owner Comments (Page 2 of 3)

Mar 232015

Driving up hill going about 20. Orange wrench icon comes on and I lose all acceleration. Had to pull over going up a hill losing acceleration fast when cars are parked on the side of the road. Barely made it to a turn and parked my car. Had to turn the car off and wait a minute and turn it back on. Turned around and went home. Called Ford dealership and asked what could be the issue. The mechanic said it could be one of two things. Took the car in to get a dtc code and they couldn't find it. The mechanic said it was safe to drive. 4 days later the same thing happened going 60. Had to pull over and restart the ignition. Almost got rear ended. Took it to the dealer again. No code. They tell me it is safe to drive still. Three days later it happens again on the same road going 60. Certain part of this road have no place to pull over. Have to drift my car for a bit to get to a safe area. Almost get rear ended. Call dealership. They tell me the earliest they can see me is one week away. This morning on the way to work it craps out on me 5 times in 20 minutes. Luckily it was 5 am and there were few people on the road. I do the same thing and restart the car. I used my tuner this time and got a code of P2111 - throttle body actuator code. I know this has been an issue with other Ford as well and checking the message boards for the Mustangs and I have seen quite a few of these incidents, but I did not see where the NHTSA was looking at the Mustangs. Maybe this should be looked into before a lawsuit happens because of this? this car is not safe to drive no matter what they tell me. I will call the dealership this morning and give them the code so they can finally fix my car.

- Seaside, CA, USA

Nov 142013

While driving home from store motor suddenly went into limp-home mode. Lost power to engine and most steering. Barely able to get car off of the road.

- Bridgeville, DE, USA

Nov 152014

11/14/2014 - vehicle engine appeared to stall or shutdown (no power) with "wrench" displayed while exiting highway. Coasted to shoulder and restarted vehicle mileage approx 32,100. Re-occurred on 12/9/2014 while traveling on highway at 70 mph - was able to coast to shoulder and restart. Ford dealer ran complete diagnostics next day but could not identify a problem. Vehicle mileage less than 33,000. Occurred again on 1/27 on highway while traveling on highway at 65 mph - coasted to shoulder and plugged in obd-II diagnostic tool I have been carrying which displayed P2111 throttle actuator control system stuck open. Restarted care - occurred again 2 miles later this time - same code reading - and now check engine light also on. Vehicle mileage 34,650. Dealer replaced throttle actuator control on 1/28/15 at my expense (not under warranty / no manufacturer recall). This is a significant safety hazard - unexpected vehicle shutdown occurring at highway speed.

- Riverview, FL, USA

Nov 122014

I was driving on the interstate and my vehicle stopped accelerating. It was as though it had switched to neutral. I had to quickly turn on my emergency lights and pull over on the side of the road. I turned off the engine, then turned it back on and pulled on to the interstate. The same thing happened again. I finally made it to my destination after this happened six times.

- Mobile, AL, USA

Nov 122014

Driving at normal speeds (45 mph), suddenly engine light and wrench light both illuminated and simultaneously lost all power to the car. I was almost crushed by a semi truck as I was in the process of turning. I was told by Ford dealer to just restart engine and all would be okay. This temporarily fixed the problem but the next day the same issue happened again, this time I caused a large back up of cars behind me causing a very hazardous condition. Now when I talk to Ford representative they tell me that it is not under warranty and that I am on my own to fix. After much research, my case is not alone. There is many people with the same situation. Ford fails to recognized that this is a problem.

- Panama City, FL, USA

Jun 032014

Mustang 6-cyl

I bought my car used at the beginning of this year, 2014. Shortly after my car started breaking down. I took it to a shop to have a diagnostic test ran, no codes came up. A friend of mine than let me borrow his mobile diagnostic machine. The next time I broke down I was able to get a code, that code was P2111 (tac system stuck open). According to my local Ford shop this is going to cost me over $600. Again, I just bought the car. I did some research online, however, and it seems like this is a well known problem with many other Ford vehicles. 'consumer satisfaction program 13N03' half of the above statement was a copy&paste from my previous complaint. I have yet to hear anything back. Since than, I've broken down several more times. One of which I was almost completely ran over by an 18 wheeler semi. This is unacceptable and could very well cost me my life! I would very much appreciate some form of acknowledgement to my complaint and hopeful approval to correct this defect immediately. Please do not hesitate to call me. Thank you.

- Santa Rosa , CA, USA

Jun 022014

Mustang 6-cyl

I bought my car used at the beginning of this year, 2014. Shortly after my car started breaking down. I took it to a shop to have a diagnostic test ran, no codes came up. A friend of mine than let me borrow his mobile diagnostic machine. The next time I broke down I was able to get a code, that code was P2111 (tac system stuck open). According to my local Ford shop this is going to cost me over $600. Again, I just bought the car. I did some research online, however, and it seems like this is a well known problem with many other Ford vehicles. That's when I went to my local Ford and mentioned 'consumer satisfaction program 13N03' they informed me of the "many" Ford vehicles that are covered to be fixed under that recall or whatnot. However, Ford Mustangs were not on that list. I feel this is undoubtedly a Ford issue, one of which that should be corrected out of your pocket and not mine. It's very sad to have the excitement of getting a new car and not even being able to drive it out of town because you are scared for your life! I have now broken down countless times, mostly back to back (on the freeway). It makes my personal world as well as my professional life a living hell since I'm having to rent cars out of my own pocket every time my boss needs me to drive out of town for him. An absolute joke if you ask me. Anyhow, its been months now that I've meant to create this complaint. I have never needed to do this before so if there's another step I may be missing or if any questions need to be answered, please do not hesitate to give me a call. Thank you! I will be anxiously waiting by the phone :)

- Santa Rosa, CA, USA

Aug 132014

Vehicle experienced sudden and unexpected loss of engine throttle sometimes in high-speed situations, activation of limp home mode, check engine light, and engine malfunction indicator. Diagnostic code reported failure of electronic throttle body, code dtc P2111. Dealer confirmed electronic throttle body assembly fault basic part 9F991 and replaced, extremely similar to NHTSA investigation PE13-003.

- Manasquan, NJ, USA

Sep 012014

The contact owns a 2011 Ford Mustang. While driving various speeds, the vehicle stalled and the wrench warning indicator illuminated. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic. The technician stated that the throttle body failed. The vehicle was repaired and the manufacturer was not notified. The VIN was unavailable. The approximate failure mileage was 82,000.

- Signal Mt, TN, USA

Jul 092014

Mustang 6-cyl

Defective electronic throttle body (etb) as per dealership diagnosis. Ford customer service is excluding Mustangs from the customer satisfaction program 13N03 - which clearly states there is a problem with etbs during this time. Looking over the internet, it is clear that some Mustangs where built with the same type of etb as the models covered under the program (Fusion, escape, Mercury mariner and Mercury Milan). The program extends the warranty on the throttle body to a total of 10 years or 150,000 miles from the warranty start date, which ever occurs first. This car is extremely dangerous to drive as it basically stalls and cannot be restarted without turning the ignition completely off - which in turn turns off power asset to steering and brakes. Car may take up to 3 or 4 tries to start normally. This stalling condition can occur up to 5 times in an 8 mile trip.

- Little Rock, AR, USA

Aug 182014

Mustang 6-cyl

Vehicle stalled on the highway with 'wrench light on" meaning an electrical/engine problem with the throttle system. Car went into 'limp home mode'. dealer says the tbs needs replacing and Ford is having issues with such systems.

- San Marcos, TX, USA

Jul 042014

Mustang 6-cyl

In the middle of driving down the road, all of a sudden I lose power to the gas pedal and the wrench light comes on. I pull over and put it in park, it makes a horrible racket when in idle. So I have to turn the car off and back on. Sometimes it's okay for the rest of the day and other times it's not even a mile down the road and it's doing the same thing again...I checked to see if there were any recalls with the Ford company, and there were check engine light has since come on and now I know for sure that it's the throttle actuator motor...looks like there have been quite a few complaints of the same thing! I definitely think there should be a recall on this part!!

- Harriman, TN, USA

May 012014

Mustang 6-cyl

Was driving on interstate, without warning went into limp mode, which I had to pull to side of road, turned off motor to reset, but every time I take off it goes in limp mode, I took it to dealership to have them take a look at they said that it's not under warranty any more and that the repair would be almost 1100 dollars.

- Savannah , GA, USA

Jul 152014

While driving my 2011 Ford Mustang down the road the check engine light and the wrench light came on and lost all power, the engine never died but would only idle very rough. I took it to have the code read out, it showed a code P2111 throttle body actuator wide open. It has done the same thing 2 times today. Once you pull over and cut the engine off then restart it will run fine, but not for long before doing the same thing again. I got online to see what the code P2111 means, to my surprise this seems to be a big problem on Mustangs, escapes, and Fusion. Ford has issued an extended warranty on certain throttle bodies.this could potentially be a serious safety problem loosing power while driving down the high way.

- Decatur , AL, USA

May 212014

Mustang 8-cyl

Bumped key and engine turned off.

- Stone Mtn, GA, USA

May 082014

Mustang 8-cyl

Was accelerating to merge with traffic on freeway when my car would not shift and the clutch pedal depressed to the floor. I was in the middle of merging and lost the ability to shift or control why vehicle. It created a very unsafe situation and Ford issued a recall for this very same issues for earlier Mustang.

- Henderson, NV, USA

Apr 262014

Mustang 6-cyl

While driving at different speeds, the car will just loses control of the gas pedal. It goes into a coast mode. You have to coast to safety and turn off the ignition and restart. My daughter was almost hit by an 18-wheeler on the bypass going about 50 mph. Sometimes, it will do this one time per day, sometimes every few minutes. I have only had this car 2 months when this problem began. I have contacted a dealership about the problem, and it will cost at a minimum $600. I have read the complaints filed, and feel that this should be placed under a recall for these vehicles. My vehicle has 56,000 miles on it, and should not be having these issues. If you were on an interstate or major highway, there might not be a way to exit before causing a major wreck.

- Fordyce, AR, USA

Feb 152014

Mustang 6-cyl

I was driving the car on a city street at approximately 30 mph. When I accelerated, the engine started extreme shaking and then shut down. Fortunately, no one was behind me, so I did not get hit. I then was able to restart the car, but each time I stopped at a light, the car would stall out again. I was able to get to a nearby Ford dealer. They repaired the car free of charge (it was under warranty) and told me that the issues was that there was a defective computer chip which caused the engine to shut down. Ford has not contacted me to discuss the incident.

- Los Angeles, CA, USA

Jan 242014

While driving under normal conditions the engine service light came on. I checked the computer codes and received a P2111 code which indicates a stuck open throttle actuator control system.

- Happy Valley, OR, USA

Jan 142014

Car stalls while driving. Every time I drive it stalls when applying the gas mildly. Error code P2112 throttle body actuator stuck closed. No carbo no hit, clean throttle body.

- Pembroke Pines, FL, USA