2.6

2011 Ford Mustang engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2011 Ford Mustang:

2011 Ford Mustang Owner Comments (Page 1 of 3)

Oct 092016

Mustang

While driving with cruise control set at 55 mph, car began to decelerate, yellow "wrench" advisory light illuminated and engine appeared to be running rough. Car slowed to a stop and I pulled the car off the roadway. I switched off the ignition and waited approximately 30 seconds. I restarted the car. The advisory light stayed off and the engine ran normally thereafter. When the incident occurred, the car was on a highway curving turn to the right. The incident occurred coming out of the curve.

- Killeen, TX, USA

Sep 252016

Mustang

The contact owns a 2011 Ford Mustang. After driving approximately 25 mph, the vehicle stalled and shook uncontrollably. The vehicle was taken to the contact's residence and was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 60,000.

- Port Clinton, OH, USA

Aug 042016

Mustang

I was driving on the freeway going 60mph when all of a sudden my cars power just cut off and it went into limp mode and had the worst idle at 1100 RPM until I turned off the vehicle. I then turned it back on and the limp mode light went away but a few more miles up it cut power again and almost caused a wreck as I had to quickly think and get to the side of the freeway. It happened 2 more times that day til I got it home and got the engine code P2111. I found out later its a faulty throttle body that they used in Fusion and other models and everyone is having this same issue of it randomly cutting off. It's a faulty throttle body that should be recalled!

- Tulare, CA, USA

May 012016

Mustang

The contact owns a 2011 Ford Mustang. While driving approximately 65 mph, the accelerator pedal was depressed but the vehicle failed to accelerate. The vehicle was towed to a dealer where it was diagnosed that the throttle body needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired due to part unavailability. The contact was unaware if the manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was unknown.

- San Dimas, CA, USA

Apr 072016

Mustang

While driving my 2011 V6 Mustang the car will completely loose power. This has happened on the highway and on side streets. There is no warning. The wrench light comes on and the car is forced to idle. No response at all to throttle input. Error code read is P2111 which indicates "throttle actuator "a" control system - stuck open". it is my understanding that the throttle body in this vehicle is the same as used in other Ford vehicles. A recall has been issued for those other vehicles but everyone suffering from this on the V6 Mustang is on their own. This can be very dangerous for people accelerating to merge and very dangerous on the highway to stop in the middle of the road or have to limp to the shoulder through traffic at idle. I have already paid $300 for a full throttle body service and the same thing is still happening.

- Tomball, TX, USA

Oct 302015

Mustang

Car stalls goes into limp mode no warning.very bad on freeway cant get off the road I have had 3 close calls a light comes on am told by Ford dealer it could be the throttle body but no codes are showing up.I have looked on line and this seems to be a problem with this car and other Ford cars.ihave talked to the dealer and he said the throttle body is not covered by warrenty these cars should be corrected they are dangerous I hate to drive the car my car is still under warrenty.

- Kenton, OH, USA

Nov 022015

Mustang

Ford throttle body issue codes P2111. Repeated instances of the vehicles in motion while drive in busy road.

- Mt Laurel, NJ, USA

Oct 202015

Mustang

2011 Ford Mustang, while driving home from work at 45-50 mph car shuttered. Then no power, no throttle response with engine holding steady 1100 RPM. Wrench light on dash lit up, RPM at 1100rpm press throttle- no response at all. Steering, brakes all functioning. Turned key off and restarted, car ran fine and has not happened again yet. Car has less than 46000 miles..

- Madison, AL, USA

Sep 242015

Mustang

Throttle body failed and had to be replaced three times. Put me in danger for my life as the car stopped running on busy highway. Vehicle was in motion full speed 55 mph and throttled down to complete stop. Engine raced but would not move. I want reimbursement for my expenses. Throttle body was replaced three times for failing within a week. Warrenty extensions have been issued for throttle body fails for similar models. We have been informed that Ford has issued an extended warranty for defective throttle body assemblies and sensors for 10 years or 150,000 miles from the data of original purchase. For vehicles past this time limit, the warranty is reported to be valud until January 31, 2015. Affected owners should contact Ford and mention consumer satisfaction program 13N03.

- Murfreesboro, NC, USA

Oct 132015

Mustang

Wrench light comes on looses power goes into limp mode very dangerous cant move off the road my book says its the throddle control took it to the dealer said they cant find any problem no code.

- Kenton, OH, USA

Oct 092015

Mustang

The contact owns a 2011 Ford Mustang. While driving at 35 mph, the check engine warning light illuminated and the vehicle failed to accelerate. In addition, the vehicle suddenly lost power. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 61,000. The VIN was not available.

- Glenn Allen, VA, USA

Oct 092015

Mustang

With no warning the electronic throttle body will fail causing the car to rapidly decelerate to its idle speed. In my case it happened on a city street in heavy traffic while the car was in motion. The motorist behind me almost rear-ended my car, and several other had to come to a screeching halt. The problem is dangerous, since it can occur at any time in traffic. It continued to happen after turning the engine off and back on. Since the issue is known in other Ford vehicles of the same model year range, the company should be communicating the issue to customers and proactively replacing the faulty part.

- Reston, VA, USA

Sep 112015

Mustang

While travelling on fdr South to work my 2011 Ford Mustang lost power. I was travelling at speed of about 45 - 50 mph. Error code P 2111 throttle actuator control system check stuck open was displayed. Issue was with throttle body, throttle body gasket and PCV valve.

- Rego Park, NY, USA

Sep 112015

Mustang

While driving down the left lane of the sawgrass expressway, a very busy highway between ft. Lauderdale and miami, I lost all throttle response. The wrench light came on the dashboard and I went from 60 mph down to nothing by the time I was off to the side of the road. Cars behind me were obviously braking hard to avoid smashing into me. I turned the car off and was about to call aaa, but the heat index that day was around a million degrees so I turned the car back on. The throttle response had returned so I cautiously limped the car back home in the right hand lane the whole way. I thought it was some freak computer glitch until it happened again going to the store the next day. I called the Ford dealership and before I even got the problem oout of my mouth the service tech said " it is your throttle body. We see this all the time. It will be about $800 to repair". if the techs are aware of this problem and it is all over the internet with people complaining about dangerous situations the have been placed in as a result, and there is already a recall for the same problem in other Ford models, then why hasn't the NHTSA done anything to force Ford to recall for the same problem on the Mustang" does someone have to die first? has somebody died because of this"

- Miramar, FL, USA

Aug 312015

Mustang

Car would not run > 20 mph.

- Henderson, NV, USA

Jul 082015

Mustang

I arrived home from work and noticed some coolant leaking out of my car. I popped the hood and saw coolant seeping from the weep hole. When I cranked the car back up, coolant started pouring out underneath the car, bad water pump. I had it towed to dealership today and was told there is a technical bulletin on the hose leading to water pump because it allows air in and causes the water pump to fail. The entire area has to be replaced with a new hose that includes a check valve, so it doesn't continue to happen. This is an obvious manufacturing defect. I was told any car that came in without a check valve has to be replaced with the new hose including a check valve and that I have to incur the entire expense $486 plus tax because hoses are not covered by powertrain warranty. I called Ford and was told due to no recall, I would not be reimbursed for this service. Even though, he also admitted that there is a technical bulletin issued by Ford regarding this problem. I have googled this and the same problem is all over the Mustang forums. Ford is refusing to stand by their product. Luckily, I was at home when this occurred and not out traveling the highway. This would cause the car to overheat and an accident can occur. Ford is refusing to cover any cost of the repair. This is a safety issue and concerns numerous consumers, not just me.

- Pleasant Garden, NC, USA

May 152015

Mustang

My 2011 V6 Ford Mustang has now stalled several times going down the road. Has happened at both high and slower speeds. After pulling over and waiting a few minutes, car starts and runs okay until the next unexpected stall. Repair shop revealed no codes. Very dangerous problem!

- Eastland, TX, USA

Jun 232015

Mustang

6/22/2015: I was driving home from work and my car suddenly turned off and the check engine light turned on. It is very subtle when it happened; no jerky movement noticed. I realized what have happened after my failed attempts to accelerate. I was able to use the car's momentum to make it to a parking lot. I step out and examined my car but nothing was out of the ordinary. After 10 minutes, I attempted to start it up (first attempt after incident) and it started up normally. Everything functioned as normal and even the check engine light is gone. I thought it was a fluke incident so I drove home and forgot about it. 6/30/2015: I was driving on the highway and my engine cut off again. I was very scared because I was on the California 91 freeway and it was during traffic hours. I was able to draw experience from the last incident and cruised my car to the side of the highway. After I examined the car and once again wasn't able to find anything out of the ordinary. I started it back up on the first attempt and the car seemed to be operating normally. I was able to make it home safely but it was a very scary drive home...I will have to bring my car to a dealer and get it check soon and hopefully they will have a fix for this....updated 09/22/15

- Placentia, CA, USA

Jun 272015

Mustang

While driving on the highway at 70 mph, I experienced sudden deceleration and had to pull over to the side of the road. The gas pedal was not responsive and the wrench light came on. This happened more than 6 times over a two week period. Two of the instances occurred while pulling out of a business onto a main road -- I had to coast into the turn lane to restart. I took the car to two mechanics who couldn't duplicate the intermittent issue (because the wrench light rests) and then finally made it over to the Ford dealer today. They said that the throttle body needed to be replaced. Here is a video of the incident: Https://www.youtube.com/watch?V=yphpuw96lgm

- Orlando, FL, USA

Jun 192015

Mustang

Driving down an interstate a wrench came on the dashboard and car went into limp mode. Pulled off turned the car off and restarted it. Got to the destination ok but on the way back home the wrench came on again. Looked at the code and saw it was the P2111 code. It happened 4 times in the way, losing power and shaking. Taking it to Ford tomorrow to find out if it covered under the warranty. There was no recall in the car, however, I am noticing a lot of people are having this issue. This is a safety issue and should have a recall on it. From what everyone else is saying Ford is not doing anything to help or fix the problem.

- Tampa, FL, USA