2011 Ford Mustang engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2011 Ford Mustang:

2011 Ford Mustang Owner Comments (Page 1 of 2)

Oct 092016

While driving with cruise control set at 55 mph, car began to decelerate, yellow "wrench" advisory light illuminated and engine appeared to be running rough. Car slowed to a stop and I pulled the car off the roadway. I switched off the ignition and waited approximately 30 seconds. I restarted the car. The advisory light stayed off and the engine ran normally thereafter. When the incident occurred, the car was on a highway curving turn to the right. The incident occurred coming out of the curve.

- Killeen, TX, USA

Oct 042016

While driving on the highway the motor shuts off. I have to quick pull off the road, restart the car. It will drive but again get up to highway speed, car shuts off. After about the 5th time, finally a code comes on, P2111 (throttle actuator control system - stuck open. Very dangerous driving on the highway.

- Pottstown, PA, USA

Feb 042016

Engine stalled while driving several times (once on a city street and twice on the highway). On other occasions the car would hesitate to respond to the accelerator. Mechanic scanned the computer and found code P2111 throttle actuator control system stuck open, and determined the cause of the problem to be the throttle body.

- Ellington, CT, USA

Jul 062016

While driving, without warning, the vehicle's wrench warning light comes on and the vehicle goes into idle mode. The car will not accelerate and you have to pull over, turn the engine off, and then restart the car.

- Bryceville, FL, USA

May 012016

The contact owns a 2011 Ford Mustang. While driving approximately 65 mph, the accelerator pedal was depressed but the vehicle failed to accelerate. The vehicle was towed to a dealer where it was diagnosed that the throttle body needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired due to part unavailability. The contact was unaware if the manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was unknown.

- San Dimas, CA, USA

Apr 072016

While driving my 2011 V6 Mustang the car will completely loose power. This has happened on the highway and on side streets. There is no warning. The wrench light comes on and the car is forced to idle. No response at all to throttle input. Error code read is P2111 which indicates "throttle actuator "a" control system - stuck open". it is my understanding that the throttle body in this vehicle is the same as used in other Ford vehicles. A recall has been issued for those other vehicles but everyone suffering from this on the V6 Mustang is on their own. This can be very dangerous for people accelerating to merge and very dangerous on the highway to stop in the middle of the road or have to limp to the shoulder through traffic at idle. I have already paid $300 for a full throttle body service and the same thing is still happening.

- Tomball, TX, USA

Dec 252015

Mustang 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2011 Ford Mustang. The contact stated that while driving at 55 mph, the vehicle failed to accelerate and started losing power. The contact stated also that the electronic throttle body warning light illuminated. The vehicle was merged to the shoulder of the road but still failed to accelerate. The vehicle was taken to a dealer where it was diagnosed that the throttle body needed to be replaced however, the vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 51,800. Updated 02/12/16

- Robert, LA, USA

Oct 292015

Immediate loss of power and complete loss of acceleration. This has occurred in an intersection and in the middle of a multi-lane highway at 35 mph and 60 mph and when either accelerating or holding at a steady speed. The wrench light comes on and the vehicle immediately loses power and decelerates regardless of speed. The vehicle is inoperable until it is turned off and restarted. The problem is recurring and unpredictable. Because the code disappears upon restarting it cannot be diagnosed. I had to get a code reader to get the code which had to be used after an emergency stop along the highway. This is dangerous as there is no warning before the loss of power. Error code P2111-throttle actuator control system stuck open. The problem has occurred 10/29/15, 11/16/15, 11/25/15, and 11/30/15.

- Bushnell, FL, USA

Jun 142014

Car randomly goes into "limp home" mode. Code could not be caught by dealer so I purchased a scanner. Code caught everytime is P2111 representing that the throttle body actuator is stuck open. This can happen within a few miles of driving or up to 20 miles. It can happen at 5 mph or 65 mph. It can happen within the first few minutes of a trip or 30 minutes in. It can happen once or every few minutes. This is very dangerous as the limp home does not get enough power to get off road. I almost caused a multi car accident. Can you imagine driving down the highway and the car just stops? it doesn't even coast. I see this complaint on alot of Ford forums. It is like Ford is just waiting for someone to be killed or sue them before they solve the issue. I have taken it to the Ford dealer and they say it is my battery. I went to an independent source and they tested my battery and I had known, the battery is fine. I have been into Ford service numerous times and when I return they do everthing but fix the issue. The date below is the 1st time experienced. It didn't happen often but this year is everytime I drive.

- Cary, NC, USA

Oct 092015

The contact owns a 2011 Ford Mustang. While driving at 35 mph, the check engine warning light illuminated and the vehicle failed to accelerate. In addition, the vehicle suddenly lost power. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 61,000. The VIN was not available.

- Glenn Allen, VA, USA

Oct 012014

The contact owns a 2011 Ford Mustang. The contact stated that while driving at various speeds, the check engine warning light illuminated. In addition, the vehicle would suddenly loose power and would not accelerate. The vehicle was taken to the dealer who diagnosed that the fuel throttle body needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 50,000.

- Laguna Niguel, CA, USA

Sep 112015

While driving down the left lane of the sawgrass expressway, a very busy highway between ft. Lauderdale and miami, I lost all throttle response. The wrench light came on the dashboard and I went from 60 mph down to nothing by the time I was off to the side of the road. Cars behind me were obviously braking hard to avoid smashing into me. I turned the car off and was about to call aaa, but the heat index that day was around a million degrees so I turned the car back on. The throttle response had returned so I cautiously limped the car back home in the right hand lane the whole way. I thought it was some freak computer glitch until it happened again going to the store the next day. I called the Ford dealership and before I even got the problem oout of my mouth the service tech said " it is your throttle body. We see this all the time. It will be about $800 to repair". if the techs are aware of this problem and it is all over the internet with people complaining about dangerous situations the have been placed in as a result, and there is already a recall for the same problem in other Ford models, then why hasn't the NHTSA done anything to force Ford to recall for the same problem on the Mustang" does someone have to die first? has somebody died because of this"

- Miramar, FL, USA

Aug 312015

Car would not run > 20 mph.

- Henderson, NV, USA

May 152015

My 2011 V6 Ford Mustang has now stalled several times going down the road. Has happened at both high and slower speeds. After pulling over and waiting a few minutes, car starts and runs okay until the next unexpected stall. Repair shop revealed no codes. Very dangerous problem!

- Eastland, TX, USA

Jun 232015

6/22/2015: I was driving home from work and my car suddenly turned off and the check engine light turned on. It is very subtle when it happened; no jerky movement noticed. I realized what have happened after my failed attempts to accelerate. I was able to use the car's momentum to make it to a parking lot. I step out and examined my car but nothing was out of the ordinary. After 10 minutes, I attempted to start it up (first attempt after incident) and it started up normally. Everything functioned as normal and even the check engine light is gone. I thought it was a fluke incident so I drove home and forgot about it. 6/30/2015: I was driving on the highway and my engine cut off again. I was very scared because I was on the California 91 freeway and it was during traffic hours. I was able to draw experience from the last incident and cruised my car to the side of the highway. After I examined the car and once again wasn't able to find anything out of the ordinary. I started it back up on the first attempt and the car seemed to be operating normally. I was able to make it home safely but it was a very scary drive home...I will have to bring my car to a dealer and get it check soon and hopefully they will have a fix for this....updated 09/22/15

- Placentia, CA, USA

May 212015

While driving 65 mph on the interstate my vehicle went into "limp mode" causing the vehicle to drastically slow down and requiring evasive action to get to the shoulder during heavy traffic. This has never happened before and I went to the dealership and was advised that the fault code was "P21111 thottle actuator control system stuck open".

- Indianapolis , IN, USA

May 152013

Mustang 8-cyl

The contact owns a 2011 Ford Mustang. While stopped at a stop sign with the brake pedal depressed, the vehicle accelerated without warning. The contact placed the vehicle into neutral and turned the vehicle off to stop the engine. The vehicle restarted; however, the failure recurred on two other occasions. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 21,000. Updated 6/11/15 MA 10/22/2015

- Ridge, NY, USA

Apr 012015

Mustang 8-cyl

Vehicle speedometer seems to be 8-15 mph too fast. Definitely off.

- Portsmouth, OH, USA

Oct 202014

Mustang 8-cyl

Vehicle motor accelerates while setting still at high rate. Had to put vehicle in neutral and cut ignition key off. If I hadn't had my foot on brake would have ran into building.

- Choctaw, OK, USA

Aug 132014

Vehicle experienced sudden and unexpected loss of engine throttle sometimes in high-speed situations, activation of limp home mode, check engine light, and engine malfunction indicator. Diagnostic code reported failure of electronic throttle body, code dtc P2111. Dealer confirmed electronic throttle body assembly fault basic part 9F991 and replaced, extremely similar to NHTSA investigation PE13-003.

- Manasquan, NJ, USA