2011 Ford Mustang steering problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2011 Ford Mustang:

2011 Ford Mustang Owner Comments

May 152016

The contact owns a 2011 Ford Mustang. While driving approximately 50 mph, the steering wheel locked up and the advance track light and service steering now light illuminated. The vehicle was coasted to the side of the road and was later towed to the contact's residence. The contact notified a local dealer and secured a repair appointment for the following morning. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 104,000.

- Atlanta, GA, USA

Jan 042016

Intermittent loss of power steering while driving. Have to constantly try to turn off car and restart to get the electronic power steering to work again. Lost power steering on the interstate with kids in the car and ended up in the grass, almost taking out the guardrail. Ford dealership says there have been 450,000 2011-2012 vehicles that have been recalled for this exact problem and part, yet somehow the Mustangs weren't in the recall. Dealership quoted $1500 to replace the same part that is being recalled on other vehicles. I have read many other people are having this problem with the same Mustangs. I'm afraid to drive my kids and family anywhere in this car! it's an accident waiting to happen!!

- Pathfork, KY, USA

Jan 062016

The contact owns a 2011 Ford Mustang. While driving approximately 50 mph, the steering wheel lost power. The contact pulled to the side of the road and had the vehicle towed to home. The contact called a local dealer and was informed to take the vehicle to a shop for diagnostic testing. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure and advised the contact to have the dealer diagnose the failure. The vehicle was taken to the dealer. The failure mileage was approximately 45,000.

- Pathfork, KY, USA

Oct 162015

Mustang 6-cyl

When the car was about 3 years old, I started to feel a quick loss of power in the steering when making a turn. It had only lasted a second and only happened at low speed in parking lots but happen while I was driving so I took it to the Ford dealer in fullerton ca. They said it was a software problem and they updated the software. The problem disappeared but then reappeared about a year later. I continued to drive it cause it was only occasionally at low speed for a half second in parking lots. Then in the morning of October 16, 2015, the steering of the car locked while I was in the middle of the street for about 5 seconds. Two yellow warning lights then came on in the dash and the steering released. One warning light said "service advance trac." I slowly drove it to the Ford dealer in fullerton on residential streets since it was nearby. I no longer felt safe to drive the car. I told them the problem. They kept the car until October 20. The mechanic told me he had to change the entire power steering system because of an internal failure and the charge to me was $1733. I complained but had no choice since I needed the car repaired. I have seen very similar complaints on the internet about other Mustangs. Ford recalled several other models earlier this year for the same problem; ┐a potential intermittent electrical connection in the steering gear┐ that Ford says ┐might result in the loss of electric power-steering assist while driving.┐ these models included 2011┐2012 Ford Fusion, 2011┐2013 Ford Taurus, 2011┐2013 Ford flex, and 2011┐2013 Lincoln. I believe Ford knew of the problem but decided to pass the cost of repair to affected customers rather than do the recall of that model. This risked the life of myself and others because it resulted in a loss of control while driving. I believe I am entitled to the cost of this repair from Ford. Thank you.

- Fullerton, CA, USA

Sep 182012

The contact owns a 2011 Ford Mustang. While driving at approximately 25 mph, the contact turned the steering wheel to the right but the vehicle did not turn. The failure recurred numerous times. The contact also stated that the front passenger side air bag warning indicator illuminated continuously. The vehicle was taken to a dealer, where it was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was approximately 60,000. Updated 7/28/15

- West Chester, OH, USA

Jun 272014

While driving, the power steering assist failure indicator came on along with the service advance-track indicator and then the steering wheel locked completely. This forced me into oncoming traffic and with no ability to steer the car at all. I was forced off the road because I could not change direction at all and ended up hitting my head, elbow and knees. After calling the Ford dealer, they informed me that there was a "tsb" about it but no recall. The dealer then went on to tell me that almost all the Ford vehicles had been recalled for the same problem, except the Mustang even though they see more of this problem in Mustangs than any other model. They then quoted me over $3,000 to have it repaired. This problem, in my opinion, could've killed me and I'm shocked that it hasn't cost any else their life.

- North Beach, MD, USA

Aug 032012

While attempting to make a lane change on the freeway at 70 mph, , I had to make a correction and move back into my original lane due to someone wanting to change into the same lane at the same time. The front end swayed back and forth out of control. Almost had an accident. This happened again at 65 mph on 09/14/2012. On 10/03/2012 I bought the car into the dealership I bought the car from. They investigated this problem and said the Mustang V6 model has a tendency to do this and said it would take about $700 in parts and labor to possibly fix this problem.. I filed a complaint with the Ford district manager and he disagreed with the dealership saying there are no handling problems with the 2011 Mustangs.

- San Diego, CA, USA

Feb 102011

The contact owns a 2011 Ford Mustang. The contact was driving 30 mph when a thumping noise emitted from the front driver's tire. The vehicle steered to the right despite the contact holding the steering wheel in a straight position. The contact also stated that the brakes failed to stop the vehicle properly and emitted a banging noise. In addition, the vehicle also failed to accelerate when the accelerator pedal was depressed. The multiple failures occurred intermittently. The vehicle was taken to the dealer. The manufacturer was also notified. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 2,000 and the current mileage was 7,500.

- Springfield, OR, USA

Feb 212012

The "service autotrack" light came on as I was pulling out from a parking space in the morning, and the power to the back wheels was reduced. I took the vehicle to the dealership for service, and was informed of a manufacturer defect in the gpas system that could cause the steering to fail. The dealership kept the vehicle, as it is unsafe to drive due to this gpas system defect. Ford is not currently manufacturing replacement gpas systems, they have outsourced to an outside company (per the Ford customer care representative) and it is going to take six weeks to get the part.

- St. Louis, MO, USA

Jul 012011

The contact owns a 2011 Ford Mustang. The contact stated that whenever the brakes were engaged, the steering wheel would direct the vehicle sharply to the left or right. The vehicle was taken to an authorized dealer where the contact was informed that the tires were sticking to the road when the brakes were engaged, resulting in a sharp change of direction. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure, but offered no assistance. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 1,800 and the current mileage was 2,600. The VIN was unavailable.

- Bemus Point, NY, USA