2012 Ford Mustang brakes problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2012 Ford Mustang:

2012 Ford Mustang Owner Comments

Jul 022015

Brand new 2012 Mustang does not have a screen that prevents debris (leaves, bugs, etc) from going down the A/C intake. When the debris clogs up the A/C water drain it will back up and get into a junction box and corrode plugs that are directly connected to the ABS, adv trac control etc, . this disables or tricks the ABS syst a safety feature that controls your brakes. For example if you are going down the interstate at 75 mph and apply the brakes hard the ABS syst is disabled or thinks one brake is locked up and the car jumps all over the place, lose control of the car and wreck or kill someone in the process.....all because a major manufacture did not place simple door screen over the intake to keep debris out of the A/C intake and clog a hole.....

- Corpus Christi, TX, USA

May 172013

Mustang 6-cyl

I turned right at traffic signal into a merge lane and accelerated to approximately 45 mph and merged left. At this point the car started jerking and making a loud noise. I placed my foot on the brake petal and could feel the brakes being activated, the car lost power and continued the jerking for approximately 200 yard. Other cars behind me began blowing their horns. I do believe some of the dash light came on but at the time I was concerned about staying on the road and was not looking too closely at the dash. The second incidence was on Jan. 16, 2014. All this was reported to the Ford dealer. They were unable to duplicate the incident and offered no help.

- Macon, GA, USA

Apr 182012

The contact owns a 2012 Ford Mustang. The contact was driving approximately 40 mph when suddenly, a loud banging noise was heard from the front end of the vehicle. The contact stated that the front brakes were erroneously being applied, causing the vehicle to decelerate. The contact turned the engine off and once restarted, the vehicle operated normally. The failure was recurring. The vehicle was unable to be diagnosed. The manufacturer was not notified. The failure mileage was 50.

- Gulf Breeze, FL, USA

Dec 252013

Mustang 6-cyl

We were driving on the freeway and the car started acting like it was running out off gas. The steering wheel jerked and the brakes locked up. We now know the problem occurs only when someone sits in the back seat behind the driver. We have duplicated the problem numerous times. Sitting it the back seat causes something to short out and the car dies. This was very dangerous in real driving conditions and we are lucky no one was hurt.

- Oakdale, CA, USA

Apr 152013

Mustang 6-cyl

122512 when going over speed humps vehicle makes squeaking noise. Dealer changed oil, rotated tires, and completed a multi point inspection. Suggested rotating tires and changing air pressure should help the problem. The squeaking continued but did not occur all the time. When calling the dealership after it persisted they suggested it may be the cold weather. 042613 called the dealership because after having tire pressure and tires checked the noise continued & was occurring over every speed hump, when I attempted to break pedal would not go down on 3 occasions, & when making sharp left turns the car made a knocking sound. I was also due for an oil change 20,000 mile service. The dealership serviced my vehicle 042713 and replaced the left/right inner tie rods but when they returned my vehicle the wheel was not aligned. The service department said it was because their machine was broken and when I complained they asked me to bring it back the following Tuesday (050213) to complete my service. They also made note there were unable to duplicate my brake pedal problems. In my service report they did not note the oil change, tire rotation, or service. When I mentioned this the advisor said it was completed. 052913 I returned my car to the dealer service department. I had my brake pedal stick 2 more times since my last visit, the noise going over speed humps returned, the knocked noise during hard left turns now also occurred during a right turn, & left side turn noise returned. Also oil setting reads only 86%. as of today (060213), I still do not have my vehicle or a clear answer as to what is wrong or will be repaired. After calling the service department on Friday (053113) & Saturday (060113), the service advisor only said they are ordering parts, the sales department would give me a call, & they may replace the swing arm.

- Grand Prairie , TX, USA

Feb 022013

Mustang 6-cyl

It was a clear and warm day in southern California. Roads had no dirt, water, debris, etc..I was driving about 35-40 and had just gone in to 4th gear. My 2012 V6 Mustang suddenly swerved to the left really hard forcing me in to the left lane and almost in to another vehicle. Then to the right which almost made me lose control. Felt like each tire was locking up independently. The traction control light was flashing. Felt like I got a flat and that my car was braking all by itself. I tried to throttle up a second later to get out of traffic and it had no response. I could not accelerate when pulling over I hit the brakes and they sounded like metal on metal, felt rough and like the ABS was engaging. Once stopped I checked the tires and all were fine. I turned off the engine and waited a second. Turned it back on and all seems fine. This made me almost crash in to another car!!!! there are a lot of people on forums like this one complaining about the same issue.

- Colorado Springs, CO, USA

Apr 302012

Mustang 8-cyl

Issue # 1 brakes: Upgrade "brembo" brakes squeaked about 2 weeks out the dealership. Took it a total of 4 times and dealer could not find the issue, the 5th time, I drove the vehicle and showed service advisor and tech. According to dealer the rear brakes were replaced. The next day, brakes are still squeaking, take it back to dealer where it was repaired a second time, picked up the car, on the 4th day, I was coming to slowing down ready to brake, pushed the clutch and car jolted forward (as if I pushed the gas and let go of the clutch). I did not think anything of it, 5 minutes later, the car started grinding, noise was only heard when driving and would stop as the vehicle came to a stop. A few days after that I was moving car forward, in my driveway, put in first gear, clutch in, as I slowly released the clutch (never touched the gas), and as I tried to brake, the vehicle did not stop, clutch engaged, pushed the brake as hard as I could the car kept moving as if there was pressure on the gas pedal, ended up hitting our SUV parked in front, car still did not stop, actually pushed SUV about 10 feet forward, until I turned off vehicle and used the hand brake. Issue # 2 A/C - when driving the air would come on randomly, full blast, the screen would show exterior temperature at 00, 2 fans would come on, one on each side of the screen displaying 88 degrees (vehicle is not equipped with dual air controls ). this happens random and in the past 4 months I've had the car I have experienced this issue 3 times. - dealer cannot find the problem.

- Bellflower, CA, USA