2012 Ford Mustang drivetrain problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2012 Ford Mustang:

2012 Ford Mustang Owner Comments (Page 4 of 6)

May 232012

The contact owns a 2012 Ford Mustang. The contact stated that the transmission would not engage into third or fourth gear. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The current and failure mileages were 4400.

- Nashville, TN, USA

Nov 012011

Mustang 6-cyl

Purchased 7/11 a 2012 Mustang with 9 miles on it. In less than 6 months. We have had two failed tires. A leaking transmission. Now the plastic part of the seat belt that hold the belt off the neck is broken and Ford refuses to fix it.

- Nixa, MO, USA

Dec 062011

Mustang 6-cyl

My vehicle has shifting issues between first and second gear. Once shifting between first and second the transmission will lock up and not allow me to shift into any additional gears. Major concern in traffic. Three separate Ford dealership representatives said they are aware of the issue but no recall has been announced. Ford will do nothing to fix the problem and said "try starting in second gear". major safety concern and the problem has been worsening with every mile I put on the car. Very disappointed in Ford.

- Scottsdale, AZ, USA

Jan 312012

Mustang 8-cyl

Transmission difficult to shift into reverse first and second gear. Almost got rear ended at traffic intersection.

- Racine, WI, USA

Jan 272012

Mustang 8-cyl

The transmission was shifted into 4th gear and popped out of gear approximately 2 seconds after releasing the clutch pedal. (this happened once) the shift from 1st to second has not been 100% reliable, it has on several occasions not been going into 2nd gear unless I rapidly move the shift lever very slightly side to side to find the gear. This is not a 1st to 4th (fuel economy) shift issue. I read and experienced this enough times to know that the vehicle suggests" this at a low accelerator input. I am referring to knowing about this and accelerating enough in 1st gear as to not see the dash prompt for 1st to 4th! although you are assuming that this is not a safety issue, what else would you call a transmission that will not shift into a gear one hundred percent of the time! you may also assume driver error for one or maybe more occasions but not the same issue on the same car after having it happen several times and consciously trying to avoid it only to have it happen again. Although several occasions of not being able to shift into 2nd out of 100 seem low, when will it happen at the most inopportune time" I am sure that I am not the only driver with years of experience in manual transmission cars to start a report. My 2nd car currently has over 100,000 miles on it and has not had one single issue with the manual transmission or the clutch. Same transmission and same clutch. Never been worked on.

- Simi Valley, CA, USA

Jan 172012

My 2012 Mustang GT was most likely totaled tonight when the transmission did not allow a shift into 5th gear. It slid into 3rd gear and caused the wheels to spin resulting in the car fishtailing and hitting a tree in the median. It had just started to rain which was a factor in this as the road was slicker than normal, but transmission problems been reported to the local Ford dealership this past week. They were too busy to check the car when reported and ironically, the car was suppose to be looked at in the morning. We had reported to Ford an issue with shifting into 5th gear. They told us there was an common issue with this but there was no recall. All airbags deployed and luckily there were no deaths. This is not a case of careless driving. There is an issue with the transmissions in these cars and something needs to be done. There was also an eyewitness that reported to law enforcement there was no wreckless driving.

- Florence, SC, USA

Sep 122011

Mustang 8-cyl

Previously filed complaints ODI 10432980 &10435461. Purchased vehicle- 8/16/11. 1st repair-vehicle was at county Ford for 2 ½ weeks (total) in September-Oct (they evaluated and ordered parts. Took car back to be repaired) 2nd repair- 11/08/11 żż 12/23/11 (45 days) **vehicle on lift the entire time. Found out when we picked it up they damaged the ext housing while attempting to replace bearing-had to wait for parts shipped from china** 3rd repair- 1/11/12-until? transmission still has vibrations in multiple gears and rattling sounds.

- Graham, NC, USA

May 252011

Mustang 8-cyl

I was driving along the freeway going 55 mph when I down shifted to slow down and the gear would not engage into the 5th gear from 6th gear. I put it in neutral then put it in 5th gear with no ill effect. Also when driving on the local street sometimes the gear would grind from 2 to 3 and a couple of times from 5 to 6 gear.

- Redmond, WA, USA

Oct 102011

The contact owns a 2012 Ford Mustang. The contact was \driving 20 mph when he realized that the vehicle would not shift into second gear. The vehicle was taken to the dealer who replaced the transmission fluid to remedy the problem but the failure persisted. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure and the vehicle was not repaired. The failure and the current mileage was 1,700.

- Carlsbad, CA, USA

Dec 062011

Mustang 8-cyl

When I first purchased my car I started to notice that shifting didn't seem right. One morning I walked out to my car to start it and the clutch was on the floor. I pumped the clutch several times to get any kind of pedal pressure back. This happened one more time and I did the same thing the get pressure back. On 6 Dec was the first time I brought it in to a Ford service dealer to have it looked at. But before I got to the dealer, I started to notice a lot of noise from the transmission. The noise sounded like a whine. Then noises also came from the rear brakes I started to hear a lot of noise from them, like they were still touching the rotors. When I got to the Ford dealership I told them about all the issues I was having and left the car with them. Later that evening the service center said the car was done. When I picked it up the same issues were happening with the transmission and the brakes. I returned to the Ford service center and dropped off the car again the next day. The service center keeps on saying the transmission and clutch are fine, everything is normal and there are no other reported issues with this problem on the transmission. On the brakes, the service center did find that both rear pads had broken guides on them and they were allowing the pad to move around in the caliper. The service center fixed the brake issue and I haven't had anymore issues with that. Now on 10 Dec, I left my house and went to put the car in sixth gear and it wont go in, the gear will just grind. I pulled over and went through all the gears and sixth gear will not work. I have contacted my local Ford dealer and service center and have yet to hear anything back from them.

- Midway Park , NC, USA

Sep 272011

Mustang 8-cyl

Problem: Abnormal vibration/noise in stick shift/driver seat during deceleration: 2012 Mustang V6 base model (no add on's) manual 6 speed. Purchased new. Had control arms replace within 2 weeks of ownership due to creaking front end (392 miles on the car).approximately 3 months after control arms were replaced I noticed vibrations in shifter and driver seat as well as rumbling noises when on highway during deceleration. Sounded and felt like when you ride over a rough patch of pavement or a metal grated bridge. Problem continued off and on and I could not duplicate. I have recently been able to reproduce the problem. What I discovered was when I ran the car up to 2750-3000 rpms then let off the accelerator I could feel an abnormal vibration and hear the car rumbling. The vibration/noise would stop as the car decelerated to about 2500-2000 RPM's. severity of vibration/rumbling noise has ranged from mild vibration/noise to stick slapping back and forth violently and very loud rumbling. Car does this in 1st, 2nd, 3rd and 4th gear. I don't get to 3000 in 5th or 6th gear so I don't know if problem exists in these gears. Road conditions do not appear to lessen or increase rate of incident.

- Richmond, VA, USA

Oct 142011

Mustang 6-cyl

My 2012 Ford Mustang V6 with premium package has a 6 speed manual transmission. I can't get the vehicle into some gears. I have noticed this problem to happen when starting the vehicle the shifter does not go smoothly into 1st or reverse gear when pressing the clutch pedal. I have to press the clutch repeatedly and play with the shifter to get it into 1st and 2nd gear when starting from a stopped position. In addition, I have had difficulty changing gears when traveling more than 25 mph. The transmission does not let me go into 3rd or 4th gear without having me put it into 5th or 6th gear while pressing the clutch pedal. I had a 20 year old Acura integra that never gave me a problem and it had a 5 speed transmission with worn out synchros. My vehicle is fairly new and I never expected to have any issues with a car this new. This is a safety hazard especially during emergency situations where I may have to downshift to gain more acceleration in order to avoid hitting something or getting me out of a dangerous situation. Luckily I have not been in a position where I have to downshift quickly as I will be put in a dangerous situation and can seriously injure myself or someone and maybe even be killed. I have noticed the shifting problem to get worse as I put more miles on the vehicle. I currently have under 2000 miles on the odometer. Please look further into this matter.

- West Covina, CA, USA

Oct 012011

The contact owns a 2012 Ford Mustang. While driving approximately 45 mph, the contact noticed an excessive vibration throughout the vehicle and in the gear shifter when decelerating. The failure recurred constantly when decelerating between 45-60 mph. The vehicle was taken to the dealer for diagnostics but the technician was unable to diagnose the failure and advised that the vibration was normal. The vehicle was not repaired. The approximate failure mileage was 4,000.

- Bel Air, MD, USA

Dec 042011

Mustang 8-cyl

I was driving @ 60mph down shifted from 5 to 4 and lost all power from the transmission and the clutch became hard to push. The engine did not shut off. I did not hear a noise of any sort. I had to call and get it towed. I have not gotten a diagnosis yet.

- Mc Intosh, AL, USA

Nov 232011

Mustang 8-cyl

I am going to start by saying that I only have 300 miles on my car. The transmission grinds going from first to second and second to third. Sometime second is extremely difficult to get into. I occasionally go into reverse when I was supposed to be in first. I just started noticing a grating sound for the first 5 - 10 min when first started.

- Mesa, AZ, USA

Aug 312011

Mustang 8-cyl

This vehicle has a shifter that will not retain its position and I believe it is related to the skip shift feature implemented for fuel economy. Commonly it tries to force the shifter from 1st to 4th. As a result the driver ends up fighting the stick shift to get to 2nd. This often results in reduction in speed and a loss of real control of the vehicle and increases the risk of being struck from behind. In virtually every gear at some point I have lost the ability to down shift or up shift creating a driving scenario of real danger and potential of being struck by other motorists. I would say that every day I have driven this car something regarding the shifting has gone wrong. I have been driving a wide variety of manual transmissions for more than 4 decades and this one is grossly defective. In a series of contacts with Ford csc I have received advice on how to correct this that had nothing to do with the actual problem. Originally the dealership indicated that I should contact csc so that they could authorize the dealer to disable the slip shift feature. However the csc at Ford said to contact the dealership and hence the cat chasing its tail began. This shifter, first used in the 2011 version is going to cause a serious injury at some point if this issue is not resolved by the appropriate authorities delegated with the responsibility of correcting this. It is well documented that people are having problems and that Ford is doing nothing to correct it. Please take up this cause before someone is seriously injured or worse.

- Herndon, VA, USA

Jun 012011

The contact owns a 2012 Ford Mustang. The contact stated that the manual transmission would not shift into first gear. After double clutching and several attempts, it would operate as normal. The contact was concerned that the failure could cause a crash. The dealer performed a fluid swap but the failure continued to occur. The manufacturer informed the contact that the vehicle was operating as normal and offered no further assistance. The current mileage was 17,000 and the failure mileage was 4,000.

- Goodyear, AZ, USA

Nov 082011

Mustang 8-cyl

Have filed previously- ODI number: 10432980. While driving tues 11/08/11. Vehicle had a rattling sound in second gear (2nd gear previously replaced at dealership). While accelerating and shifting transmission into 2nd gear, heard and felt a pop. Could not shift out of 2nd gear. I was approaching an intersection at the time. I was able to make it through the intersection and pull over. Could not get it out of 2nd gear even when car was not running. I have detailed receipt of previous repairs.

- Graham, NC, USA

Oct 042011

Mustang 8-cyl

My 2012 Mustang 6 spd manual consistently has trouble shifting to 2nd gear from 1st. Going to 3rd, it would grind. Shifting down from 4th or higher into 3rd, would not shift at high RPM's. turning from 1st to 2rd would grind gears as well. Shifting from 3rd into 4th on acceleration speeds sometimes would not engaged resulting in me having to slow down, impeding other traffic.

- Albuquerque, NM, USA

Nov 042011

Merging into traffic car would not shift from third to fourth gear, my wife and I were almost hit from behind, because we could not get the car up to speed.,,this has not been the only time the car would lock up between gears. There is a problem with the transmission on these cars.

- Ona, WV, USA