8.5

2015 Ford Mustang engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2015 Ford Mustang:

2015 Ford Mustang Owner Comments

May 012015

Mustang

Purchased the car brand new Nov 2014. The 1st occurrence was around may or June of 2015 on a city street and I was slowing down while in 6th gear with the clutch pushed in and then I pulled the shifter into neutral. The run active power caught my eye and then there I also so the the RPM was on 0. I questioned myself on this 1st incident that maybe I did something wrong. 2nd incident happened sometime in Sept 2015 and I was on another city street in 4th gear getting ready to come to a stop at a red light, with the clutch all the way to the floor I placed the shifter in neutral and I had a feeling that the car wasn't on anymore and looked at the gauges and saw that run active power was on again and RPM was on 0. this time I kind of started to suspect the car. 3rd occurrence happened June 11th 2016 and I was on a highway slowing down from 55 or so and push in the clutch to neutral and while rolling in neutral around 40 to 45 mph I saw the RPM go straight to 0 and at this point im convinced there needs to be a recall. All 3 incidents I quickly started the car back up while rolling. Also since I've purchased the car I've had the display randomly say that all of my drive modes are unavailable, traction control unavailable, hill assist unavailable, and a few more. 1st time I noticed that was while sitting in traffic, and 2nd time was on a random start up. I believe this could be a computer issue.

- Upper Marlboro, MD, USA

Mar 152016

Mustang

My engine has randomly shut off three separate times now. I have about 12,000 miles on mt 2015 Mustang GT w/pp manual transmission. The first time I was parked and it was idling, my friend and I both witnessed the idle dip, then 3-5 seconds later the engine shut off. The second time (was much more dangerous) I was changing lanes because of a car fast approaching from behind, I downshifted from 3rd to 2nd gear (30-40mph), let out the clutch smoothly, pressed the accelerator and the car did nothing, I looked down and the RPM was at 0 and "press clutch to start" was displayed on the gauge cluster screen. I quickly depressed clutch and restarted engine and took off to avoid an accident. The third time happened today 3/15/2016 I was again at idle and the engine just shut down without me touching anything, it again displayed "press clutch to start". I've read in forums that many people are having this issue intermittently, this could be a serious safety issue that can have deadly consequences. Please address this issue correctly rather than sending everyone home with the "we didn't find any issue" go-to response. Hopefully people don't have to get injured, or god forbid die, before this issue is taken seriously.

- Buffalo, NY, USA

Nov 102015

Mustang

The contact owns a 2015 Ford Mustang. The contact stated that while driving at low speeds, the vehicle stalled without warning. The vehicle was taken to a dealer but the failure was unable to be determined. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 6,000.

- Glendale, AZ, USA

Jun 122015

Mustang

Car is experiencing a vibration problem at 65 to 75 mph, in 6 gear, and engine is at 1750 RPM. Vibration is duplicated again, in 5th gear, and engine is at 2500 RPM. Also, with car in the stop position, car in neutral, with clutch in or out, slowly revving the engine vibration occurs at 1500 to 1750 rpms. Also if you quickly rev the engine to 2500 RPM and drop revs slowly vibration reoccurs at 1750 to 1500 RPM. This problem has been present with initial purchase of vehicle, dealership said it was tires and drive it for awhile. The car has since been in the dealership 5 times, replaced all 4 tires, force road balanced 3 times, and has been to second Ford dealership for confirming vibration problem. Second dealership also had another new Mustang experiencing same vibration and could not be fixed. Ford Motor Company has declared the vibration problem is within specs for Mustangs and has declared it "normal operating characteristics" for Mustangs. At this point my case with Ford has been closed. If this vibration problem is occurring in 40 percent of Mustangs as a prior complaint has stated then Ford motors need to address it and not ignore it.

- Portsmouth, NH, USA

Mar 252015

Mustang 6-cyl

Instrument gauges, tachometer / speedometer are subdue no lighting during day light driving. Comes and goes. Safety hazard driver diversion. Engine will over-speed at 7,500 RPM and quit transmission will not shift out of first gear in drive. Ford has stated that the transmission is normal. Hasn't address the engine over speed yet. Gauge lighting has not been fix yet. Four times to Ford...updated 10/29/15

- Huntington Beach, CA, USA

Jun 022015

Mustang

The contact owns a 2015 Ford Mustang. While operating the vehicle, the odor of fuel was present inside and outside of the vehicle. The contact also indicated that the vehicle was designed using no fuel cap. While operating the vehicle, the fuel tank door would randomly open and expose the fuel opening. In addition, oil was discovered leaking from the engine. No further information was available. The cause of the failure was not diagnosed. The manufacturer was not notified of the failures. The failure mileage was 4,000.

- Jackson, SC, USA

Jun 192015

Mustang

Vehicle event while driving on the highway. While adjusting the air temp with my right hand, my pinky touched the start stop button causing the vehicle engine to shut down. I pulled to the side of the road to figure out what had happened and discovered that my car would shut down in drive by just touching the start stop button. The only way to restart the engine is to put the vehicle in park. It was safe for me, although I was in a line of traffic, because I was on a two lane road with shoulder room available. The seat did not return to the exit position. I am very careful now when making any adjustments to the controls cluster because of the closeness of the start stop button to the other controls. The switch also operates with very light pressure and its surface is convex. I do not let anyone else drive this vehicle in its current condition.

- Ada, MI, USA

May 202015

Mustang

The contact owns a 2015 Ford Mustang. While operating the vehicle with the air conditioner activated, the odor of burnt oil was present inside the vehicle. The cause of the failure was not diagnosed. The manufacturer was notified. The VIN was invalid. The failure mileage was 200.

- Simi Valley, CA, USA

Mar 302015

Mustang 8-cyl

With only 500+ miles on my car to date, I have experienced multiple occasions where my 2015 Mustang GT's engine shuts off without warning when I am approaching a stop and disengage the manual transmission to coast to a stop. The car does not give any indication that it is experiencing any issues prior to or during the shutdown. The engine simply dies. This latest incident nearly caused an accident because when I was approaching the red light I put the car in neutral while slowing down and the light subsequently changed quickly to green--and my engine died. The car behind me had already accelerated expecting me to proceed but I was coasting while trying to restart the car. Fortunately, there was no rear end impact and I restarted the car and proceeded. This is a serious safety issue and what makes it worse is how random it is. Ford needs to figure this out quick before somebody gets hurt or killed in an accident related to this issue. For the record, there are many others with this same model car that are experiencing the same dangerous issue and are posting their experiences online at the Mustang generation 6 forum.

- Gaithersburg, MD, USA

Mar 162015

Mustang

Upon approaching a red light with the clutch pedal pressed down, and manual trans in neutral the engine died. Also had "run power on" on the dash. Bumped the start button and it started right up. Description of electrical issues: Temps outside were mid 80's. (car was still cold engine wise and I had the A/C on full blast when it died.) dash board information/touch screen readout said it was 70 degrees outside while temps were in the mid 80's. and as I was driving, (city traffic) I would shift at or around 2500 RPM. When I pressed in the clutch to shift the RPM's would jump about 1000 RPM's until I let the clutch out. This occurred about three or four times out of ten to fifteen shifts. About 3 miles up the road I pulled over, shut the car off and opened the door to turn off the stereo and touch screen. Cranked it up and right away the outside temp reading was the actual 85 degrees. No more revs on shift and ran fine all the way home for the next 15 miles. Reporting this due to multiple issues of this being reported by other 2015 Mustang owners on social media and Mustang related websites.

- Columbia, SC, USA

Dec 192014

Mustang 8-cyl

First occurrence (mid December 2014): I was coming up to a red light and the turn was slightly uphill. I approach the light and drop the car into neutral (clutch was fully engaged continuously at this point) and while braking, as I approached the red light to make a right turn my car's rpms just drop completely to 0. it didn't even try to catch idle. This was about 1.5 months ago. I figured that it might be something with the tune I'm running so I called up bama and had them send me a fresh tune after explaining what had happened. Also, not sure if this helps or is relevant information but I had been driving on the highway for about 40 min before that and did a pull on the highway 2 min before the car died. Second occurrence (2/25/2015): Today while driving to work in the morning I was switching lanes and as I merged into the lane I engage the clutch fully and was braking to adjust to the speed of the vehicle in front of me and was preparing to downshift into gear, but before I could downshift the rpms keep dropping and go past normal idle and drop to 0 again without even trying to catch idle again. So I quickly start it back up again and it drove fine after that. This can become a safety issue if not taken seriously. More and more Mustang owners are experiencing this problem and I had to switch dealerships because the dealership where I bought the car from refuses to work on my car since it is lowered. Ford racing offers lowering springs for the vehicle which is a Ford part. If someone was to have these springs installed and the car was lowered with Ford parts does that mean the dealership will refuse to work on it if it doesn't fit on their lifts then as well? I have reported other issues as well which Ford has claimed to be normal just because it is occurring on other vehicles as well. The csm at Ford Motor Company has been a huge help so thank you for that.

- Naperville, IL, USA

Dec 222014

Mustang 8-cyl

Vehicle just dies (engine shuts off) with the clutch in while slowing to a stop. Could possibly cause an accident.

- Whittier, CA, USA