2016 Ford Mustang engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2016 Ford Mustang:

2016 Ford Mustang Owner Comments

Sep 232016

I bought a new 2016 Mustang in April. I was driving uphill at 40 mph. All of the sudden the engine cut off. When the engine went off a large wrench came up on the display and it said see manual. I tried pressing the start button but it would not start. I had to come to a complete stop, put the car in park and then was able to restart it. This could easily lead to death! if this would happen on the beltway or I-95 I could get killed. The car didn't overheat and all the gauges showed normal. Now I am afraid to even drive it; I don't want to be killed or kill someone if the engine stops.

- Parkville, MD, USA

Aug 282016

The car suddenly lost power and no acceleration was possible. The trouble light came on. Car would only roll at 10mph with engine power. The gas pedal would not control the motor speed. Car would not shift. This happened when I just pulled in to a parking lot. I was able to use the emergency flashers to get the car home using side streets at 10mph. Last year a guy in his 2015 Mustang asked me if I had this problem as he explained the same situation when I also owned a 2015 Mustang. I didn't have that with the 2015, but I just bought it when we talked. I know what he means now. As my 2016 did what his 2015 did with a loss of power.

- Surprise, AZ, USA

Aug 162016

During normal driving during 5pm traffic, the car shuddered, a wrench icon came on the screen, the car lost power and would not accelerate. The vehicle was in motion at the time on a 4 lane road with multiple other vehicles in close proximity. After pulling over and shutting the engine off and on 2-3 times, I was able to drive approximately 2 miles to dealership. Service department seems to think it is a defective electronic throttle body.

- Ridgeland, MS, USA

Aug 032016

The contact owns a 2016 Ford Mustang. While driving 50 mph, the vehicle slowed down to 2 mph. The service light illuminated and the vehicle was towed to a dealer. The tow truck driver stated that the failure may be due to the fuel line. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 11,814.

- Brielle, NJ, USA

Jul 052016

I just purchased my brand new 2016 Mustang less than 6 months ago and have already been having issues with it. I was stationary waiting at the stop light and shifted into 1st gear 3 times and my car wouldn't budge. I turned off the engine and restarted it to move it out of the street. The engine light came on briefly then shut off. A week later I was driving approximately 60 miles per hour on the freeway and my vehicle suddenly stalled with no warning. I do not remember the engine light being on this time. I just took my car into the dealer and they said it was a bad throttle body.

- Tulsa, OK, USA

Jun 032016

Lost power in insanely busy irving/dallas intersection near major highway - could have been a huge accident! 5400 plus miles. Ford 2016 Mustang, V6 from a standing position, second car in line at red light. Light changes, traffic starts to move, I stepped on gas and nothing! had to creep across two lanes of busy traffic and limp up onto a sidewalk as that there was no breakdown shoulder. Than god the curb was about 2 to 3 inches high. Wrench icon on dash: "see manual". turned engine off and back on - rpms surged to the red and then dropped to below 1000. Tried the off/on thing about 3 times - same results. Engine was chugging, missing, even exhaust was chugging like some old jalopy! checked the electronic gauge readings - everything was normal except the vacuum pressure - it was between 5 and 0! after several calls to dealership, Ford roadside assist and tow company; turned car off again - 30 seconds to a minute later, restarted it - and it was running perfect - engine light however was on. Vacuum level was running between 17 and 20. Towed to dealership; it's a week now and I have just learned from them that it's the throttle body. Was told that "Ford had a bad batch of these" on this engine size (V6). The part is on back order. The dealership service rep stated it's taken as long as a "couple of months" but Ford is getting faster at getting the part out, so it could be a week to two weeks to get it in. I have seen reports of this same issue on for Explorer - from Jun 5th 2016 - stating that Ford had 7000 throttle bodies on back order! this is an exceptionally dangerous situation with these things losing power like this on highways and in major traffic. Ford needs to issue a recall on this throttle body!

- Arlington, TX, USA

May 092016

The contact owns a 2016 Ford Mustang. While driving 45 mph, a loud abnormal noise emitted from the engine and the vehicle stalled without warning. The vehicle was towed to the dealer. The technician diagnosed that the engine was defective and needed to be replaced. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The vehicle was repaired. The failure mileage was 7,800.

- Ashburn, VA, USA