6.4

2. replace the door switch and hope for the best! (2 reports)
  3. spray both door mechanisms with wd 40 (2 reports)
1998 Ford Ranger accessories - interior problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 1998 Ford Ranger:

1998 Ford Ranger Owner Comments

Nov 152009

Ranger XLT 4 cyl

If this "door ajar" problem is so widespread, why doesn't Ford step up to the plate and tell everyone what the fix is?

- , Las Vegas, NV, USA

Mar 122011

Ranger XLT 3.0L V6

So i just bought this 98 ford ranger. its a great truck and it only had 73000 miles on it other than a check engine light code p0401 and 2 dry rotted tires its in great shape. But this annoying door ajar interior light staying on is going to drive me crazy. I see others have had this problem and that replacing the door switch is a quick and easy fix that doesn't last long. But has anyone found a reason the causes the switch to go bad and how to fix it so that I don't have to stock up on door switches?

- , Folsom, NJ, USA

Jan 012000

Ranger XL 2.5L 4 cyl

click to see larger images

door ajar & interior lights come on and stay on

WHEN THE PASSeNGER DOOR IS CLOSED, THE INTERIOR LIGHT STAYS ON. THE "DOOR AJAR' LIGHT IS ON AS WELL. THEN, THE BUZZER SOUNDS AND THE LIGHT WILL TURN OFF. (INTERIOR LIGHT TURNS OFF AS WELL) I BELIEVE THE SWITCH FOR THE DOOR AJAR LIGHT IS BAD OR OUT OF ADJUSTMENT. I WILL EVENTUALLY FIX THE PROBLEM BY REPLACING THE SWITCH ITSELF AND SEE WHAT HAPPENS.

Update from Dec 25, 2010: The next solution I have is to replace the relay. I believe it is behind the glove box. I purchased a new one for the local autoparts store for about $13 bucks. Next week I'll replace it (with luck I won't set off the airbag) and let everyone know if that cured the problem. Wish me luck!

- , Kent, WA, USA

Mar 012008

Ranger LTD 3.0L

I have a 1998 Ford Ranger 3.0 with 193000 miles. Ive had to fix this problem 3 times before. This problem for you other guys will get worse i promise. It starts by staying on just a few min then it will go off but then it comes on and stays on all the time. Fuse works to much to pull it out to drive at night so i had to pull the bulbs out so i could drive at night. This is BULL that now i have to have them replaced for a 4th time.

- , South Boston, VA, USA

Feb 282002

Ranger 4.0L

Had part in door replaced but the same problem happened again. Bad design on Ford's part.

- , Windham, ME, USA

Dec 192007

Ranger XLT 4.0L V6

The dome light wasn't much of a problem, but I have a Car Alarm and every time it would set off the alarm, usually about 3:00am, and it would drive me crazy. I used to sleep with my car keys, otherwise it would wake up the neighborhood.

- , Crookston, Minnesota, USA

Jul 292007

Ranger XLT 4L V6

Just an annoyance during the day. Interior light would not go off at night, a real problem.

Problem started as intermittent then became constant.

- , Birmingham, AL, USA

Feb 192007

Ranger 3.2LV6

not so bad during the day but sure annoying at night. so far it usually goes off after five minutes or so.

- , Lawton, OK, USA

Dec 142006

Ranger ES 3.2L V6

This has been going on for several years. Door ajar is on almost all the time and now, I couldn't get the light to turn off at all. As a temporary measure I pulled the fuse so that it didn't drain the battery overnight.

- , Rio Rancho, NM, USA

Dec 192002

Ranger

Dome light intermitantely stays on, and this causes the door ajar light on dash to stay on. Can't find a sensor on door, could this be a computer problem? Also the brake light sometimes does not come on, when the parking brake is set. Related?

- , Panama City, FL, USA

Jan 042002

Ranger

door ajar & interior lights come on and stay on for hours.

- , Salem, MA, USA