1998 Ford Ranger body / paint problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 1998 Ford Ranger:

1998 Ford Ranger Owner Comments

Sep 152016

Ranger

Frame is rusting out even though the rest of the truck looks great. The truck has not been driven in winter because I have a work car with front wheel drive that I use for this and the frame on that vehicle is in better condition than my Ranger. We have owned the truck since 2002 and it's a 1998 model.

- Princeton, WV, USA

Jun 252015

Ranger

The rear frame completely rusted off between the rear spring shackles and rear bumper, the spare tire mount if almost completely rusted away, and the gas tank cross member is also nearly rusted away,1/2 is missing on the passenger side. The rear springs detached when the shackled rusted away. The vehicle was stationary

- Goshen, NY, USA

Jun 132001

Ranger

I hit a deer while comming home from work at 45 mph and bent bumper, dented left quarter panel, broke left turn signal lens and cracked plastic grile. Airbags did not apply or engage. I also have taken my truck to the local dealership 4 times to get my door alarm chip replaced @ 50 dollars each time. On last attempt my extended waranty had expired and they refused to honer the problem and promise to replace.even though it was an exsisting problem. This was prior to hitting the deer.

- Florence, OR, USA

Mar 122015

Ranger

Frame/ chassis is rusting. I heard Toyota was fixing this problem with their trucks. Why doesn't Ford and or have you checked these trucks out. You are welcome to come and see mine. Thanks,

- Belfast, ME, USA

Jan 132015

Ranger 6-cyl

Took my 1998 Ford Ranger in for an inspection on 01/13/2015 only to find out that the back of the frame is almost completely rotted away. I bought the vehicle only two days earlier from a dealership in va(01/11/2015) that's run by a mechanic. I contacted the dealership as soon as I saw my mistake, and they told me they didn't see the rust, and that the vehicle passed inspection in va only two months prior to my purchase. The frame is about to split in half its so badly rusted and now I cant register it, not to mention drive it, out of fear of it snapping and me losing my life. Oh and did I mention I paid $3650 for this pos?

- Oxon Hill, MD, USA

Mar 142014

Ranger 6-cyl

I was driving on the freeway and the truck started smoking and caught on fire, I pulled off the freeway and the whole front of the truck burst into flames.

- Los Angeles, CA, USA

Oct 192013

Ranger

While in bed at 2:00 am truck caught fire.

- Centreville, MS, USA

Sep 302013

Ranger 6-cyl

Went to get estimate on replacing muffler system and was told not to do it because frame was rusted and ready to break. I have owned this vehicle since Jan. 16 2001. Also had to replace rear shackles in 2009. Does Ford have any recall on this as I have read many many others that have the same complaint.

- Woodstock, CT, USA