1998 Ford Ranger miscellaneous problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 1998 Ford Ranger:

1998 Ford Ranger Owner Comments

Apr 042006

Ranger 4-cyl

Two weeks ago when leaving a parking lot the spare tire affixed under the truck bed of my 1998 Ford Ranger pickup with 79,000 miles fell off. When I retrieved the tire and metal piece that holds the tire I observed that the cable had apparently snapped. Had I been on an interstate or other major highway someone might have been killed. When I contacted Ford they said they had no other reports of this type failure and I was to pay a dealer to replace the device and receive a 1 year warranty. Although the vehicle is out of warranty, I do not feel this is my responsibility as it is a safety issue and the mileage and age of the truck indicate to me that this is a significant safety issue and not just wear and tear. I understand that things happen, but a life or lives could have been lost. I am debating as how best to secure my spare and currently just carry it in my truck bed and bring it into my home at night to prevent theft. The cable is still in the truck mechanism and I have the metal piece that holds the tire in place. The dealership where I bought the truck responded with an "oh well", Ford Motor Company took an interest, but as no one was injured and they say no other complaints of this type are in their records too bad for me. They referred me to another dealership in town who wants $100 to fix it. I will not pay them out of spite and will try to determine another safe method of carrying my tire. I do not trust them.

- Lafayette, LA, USA