2.1

2001 Ford Ranger transmission problems

transmission problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2001 Ford Ranger:

2001 Ford Ranger Owner Comments

Feb 082007

Ranger 4WD 6-cyl

I parked my truck Thursday night February 8, 2007. I placed the truck in park and removed the keys. When I returned to my truck early the next morning, I discovered that the truck was actually not in park, even thou the keys were out of it, and the shift indicator showed the vehicle being in park. Had the truck been parked on an incline it could rolled away. I found the head of a small screw laying on my floorboard which have broken from the shifter. When I repaired the truck on Sunday I discovered a very disturbing situation where the gear selector is attached to the transmission cable. The assembly is held together by a small 6mm screw, which the head I found on the floorboards. This happened at 99K mileage.

- Nelsonville, OH, USA

Apr 282005

Ranger 4WD 6-cyl

2001 Ford Ranger--automatic transmission, remove ignition key and it can easily be taken out of park. Key in ignition with engine running, I no longer have to press the brake to get into any gear. I have experienced this same problem in February 2003 when it was repaired by local Ford dealer.

- Oakville, CT, USA