2002 Ford Ranger engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2002 Ford Ranger:

2002 Ford Ranger Owner Comments

Jan 062004

Problems engaging accelerator when brakes are depressed. (nar)please review for further details.

- Winters, CA, USA

Jan 052003

Ranger 6-cyl

This vehicle is unsafe at high speeds. Recently I bought a used 2002 Ford Ranger XLT, w/ 4.0 liter engine, and I noted the 125 mph speedometer. Last evening an 18 wheeler cut into my lane and I quickly accelerated hitting about 90 mph on the interstate to avoid being crushed. However just as I was clearing the front end of the semi the engine began to faulter and the vehicle began to slow. Pressing on the accelerator didn't increase vehicle speed or engine RPM. I was scared out of my wits. I called the dealership that night and they agreed to look at the vehicle. Which they later deferred on (basically they knew of the defect). After talking to several service department reps at the dealership I was told the fuel ejectors are designed to cut out at high speeds. I pressed further and talked to other dealerships to find out the vehicle has been deteremined unsafe at high speeds by Ford, so this safety feature was incorporated in the vehicle. I got little "positive" responses when I asked why a)the speedomoter went to 125 mph (noting that oler vehichles manufactured in the mid to late 1980's only had 85 mph speedometers) B)why am I paying several thousand dolars for a 4.0 liter engine and C) why is this unsafe condition not disclosed anywhere or at any time during my purchase" I asked if fatty foods are bad for me would I pay full price for a 2 lb. Steak and only be served a 6 oz. One" he had no response.

- Cottonwood, CA, USA