1.8

2004 Ford Ranger fuel system problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2004 Ford Ranger:

2004 Ford Ranger Owner Comments

Jul 032016

Ranger

After short drive, and shutdown engine would crank but not start. Towed to dealership. Next day truck started right up. Dealer could find no issues. Several weeks and 2000 miles later, problem occurred again. Found fuel inertia switch electrical connector melted. Fell apart when removing. Purchased new switch and electrical harness connector pigtail. Fortunately failure occurred after stopping and shutting down. Could cause a terrible accident if failure occurred at highway speeds. Something is causing an overheat condition in this switch/connector.

- Jackson, MI, USA

Apr 102016

Ranger

If I left the engine idle more than two minutes it would not pass the state emissions test. Now the emission light came on and it will not go off anymore. Almost got an accident vehicle will not drive over 20 mph anymore. I must have the same problems of thousands of other people. I was told I have to change the heads on the engine because of poor quality cast iron heads that was used for like three years. My Ford truck is one of these years they had the issues. Now I have to spend thousands of dollars fixing it this is nonsense with the low miles I have on it. These Ford should be recalled because of the safety issue. I have taken such good care of this truck and it still looks like brand-new I have to fix it! please help!!!

- Newark, NY, USA

Jun 182015

Ranger

July 19, 2015 re: NHTSA recall 04V331000 July 15, 2004. On June 18, 2015, berglund Ford of bedford, Virginia refused to inspect my vehicle to determine if an improperly manufactured frame part exists that could rupture the gasoline tank during a side impact type of collision. 1. a visual inspection is the only method to determine if the recall hazard exists. 2. Ford's computer records can only indicate if an inspection has occurred. 3. it is impossible to determine logically if the recall hazard exists by using vehicle identification numbers. At the time of my request for an inspection, I was prepared to pay for the service because of the amount of time that has elapsed. Also, when I requested the inspection of the frame and fuel tank, I became aware of an air bag recall that had been recently published for my model of light truck. Berglund Ford refused to address either recall situation for me because, "the computer did not call for it." I may own an extremely dangerous vehicle that could kill the occupants during a collision because of 2 federal safety recall issues that have existed since the vehicle was manufactured. (the fuel tank/frame and the passenger air bag). Berglund Ford has violated federal law and I request your assistance to remedy this. Thank you.

- Bedford, VA, USA

Oct 012013

Ranger

This complaint is regarding the very common problem with the 3.0 V6 motors that Ford produced known as the "valve recession" Ford released over 200,000 vehicles with these faulty cylinder heads. Ford is aware of this problem as they sent out a tsb (service bulletin) regarding this issue but yet they wont recall this problem.

- Old Hickory, TN, USA