2005 Ford Ranger drivetrain problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2005 Ford Ranger:

2005 Ford Ranger Owner Comments

Jan 012010

Ranger

At startup my check engine light came on and as I went to drive away the entire truck started shaking and the check engine light started to flash.I tried to fix the vehicle with a scan tool and started replacing the less expensive parts and when it was all said and done it turned out to be the driver side cylinder head number four and six cylinder they both had recessed valves.before the truck got real bad I was on the interstate going to be a slight incline and the truck was doing 75 miles an hour and then suddenly dropped to maybe 15 20 miles an hour almost causing an accident on interstate 10 I had to immediately pull off the shoulder of the road to avoid getting rear ended.I just recently replaced the third set of heads on the same vehicle same side same cylinders and I'm being told now that they think its the catalytic converters I really don't know I like my truck but this is getting ridiculous.I've called Ford directly told them what's been going on and they said my truck does not fall under the campaign bulletins and that I will have to replace my head's every 42000 miles.

- Bakersfeild , CA, USA

Dec 072011

Ranger 6-cyl

While driving at approximately 35 mph, with approximately 600 pounds of weight in the back or bed, on a road that really wasn't real slick so I didn't have it in 4WD, and suddenly the pickup veered to the left and hit a concrete jersey barrier. It bounced off and went toward the right and hit a guard rail and then rolled over on to its top. The sheriff deputy noticed that the left rear wheel was missing and thought it was strange that the axle broke at that low speed and situation. Upon inspection of the broken surface on the pickup, he noticed what looked like rust as if the axle had cracked sometime earlier and finally broke off. I looked at the broken surfaces and could see what looked like possible rust and something white. The pickup never has handled so strangely so I thought I would try searching the internet for a similar occurrence. It didn't take too long using google to find another instance where a person had reported the axle on the same side on, I believe, a 2004 Ranger had broken and the pickup rolled. I took some pictures of the broken axle surfaces, but it is not possible to attach them to this form.

- Omak, WA, USA