4.0

1996 Ford Taurus engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 1996 Ford Taurus:

1996 Ford Taurus Owner Comments

Sep 142010

Taurus 3.0L

My mom has a 96 ford taurus with a 3.0 engine. she bought it a couple months ago. it has an annoying misfire in it. I've replaced the plugs (gapped at .044) wires, pcv, air filter, and fuel filter. Filled the tank with premium and added a bottle of injector cleaner. When I start it the r.p.m hand goes up between 1200-1500 r.p.m. It gradually decreases to 700-800 r.p.m. That's when the misfire is most noticeable.After letting it run for a few minutes when I take off it acts like it wants to go dead for a couple of seconds then it picks up. the check engine light is not on. once I've driven it or about ten minutes , i hardly feel the mis anymore but sometimes it comes back while I'm sitting at a red light. What does that sound like?

- , Chicago, IL, USA