CarComplaints.com Notes: Most people need a car where the coil springs don't puncture or shred tires while driving. The Taurus fails in that respect.

The 1999-2003 Ford Taurus has a huge problem with coil springs breaking, which can puncture or even shred tires while driving.

The US government spent THREE YEARS (2008-2011) investigating the 2002-2003 Taurus coil springs. Although Taurus/Sable from earlier years were recalled, ultimately the NHTSA did not force a recall. They determined that because there had been no deaths & very few bad crashes & injuries, the broken coil springs defect was no big deal & not a safety defect. Tell that to all the owners who had close calls...

7.5

1. oil leaking onto exhaust (3 reports)
2002 Ford Taurus AC / heater problems

AC / heater problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2002 Ford Taurus:

2002 Ford Taurus Owner Comments

Dec 102010

Taurus SES 3.0L V6 Flex Fuel

Noticed a burning smell with engine running. Checked oil filter ( after last event -similar situation) and found it loose- AGAIN. Tightened it more than one full turn and leak stopped. ( oil & filter changed at Sherwood- Groves Ford). See later.

Oct 052009

Taurus SES 3.0L V6 Flex Fuel

I smelled something burning when driving. Found oil leaking on ground. I checked and found oil leaking from oil filter. Oil filter had loosened. I tightened it more than one full turn. See later.

Dec 012011

Taurus SES 3.0L V6 Flex Fuel

I noticed a burning smell with engine running. Checked oil filter (from previous experience) and found it loose. Tightened it one and one half turns. (Last oil change by Feduke Ford). Discussed this with service manager at Feduke, but was given no definitive answer about cause of leak, at next service ( 12/05/11).

Nov 012009

Taurus SE 3.0L V6

Since I have had my car, I have had an oil burning smell in my heater or ac when I am idling at a stop light...too many in my city. I have taken my car in and explained the problem. They have attributed these problems to something else..coolant reservoir problem, radiator, problem, etc. However, the problem is still there. Plus, my car engine light came on a few days ago for a day and a half (the yellow engine light which means go get it looked at...red means stop your car, I am told). After a day and a half, the indicator light went off. It funs fine. When the light was on, the engine ran rough, especially at idle.

- , Evansville, IN, USA