CarComplaints.com Notes: Most people need a car where the coil springs don't puncture or shred tires while driving. The Taurus fails in that respect.

The 1999-2003 Ford Taurus has a huge problem with coil springs breaking, which can puncture or even shred tires while driving.

The US government spent THREE YEARS (2008-2011) investigating the 2002-2003 Taurus coil springs. Although Taurus/Sable from earlier years were recalled, ultimately the NHTSA did not force a recall. They determined that because there had been no deaths & very few bad crashes & injuries, the broken coil springs defect was no big deal & not a safety defect. Tell that to all the owners who had close calls...

6.7

2. replace every sensor and solenoid on the car (shotgunnning). (1 reports)
  3. replace fuel pump (1 reports)
  4. replaced ignition coil, plugs & wires (1 reports)
2002 Ford Taurus engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2002 Ford Taurus:

2002 Ford Taurus Owner Comments

Jul 122004

Taurus SE 3.0L-Liter V6

A ride in a tow truck to the dealership and a half day productivity gone.

- , Highland, CA, USA

Sep 062010

Taurus SES 3.0L V6

From what I have read from others, it seems that the ignition coil issue is pretty common. Our check engine light came on and the the engine started stalling. I drove to Advanced auto and had them read the computer. The error read that I had a misfire on cylinder 6. Our mechanic found that I was due for a tune-up (go figure at 95,000 miles) and had a bad ignition coil. Total bill was approx. $425.00.

- , Vincennes, IN, USA

Mar 242010

Taurus SES

I had my mechanic run the computer to see if anything will come up going wrong, because the Service engine soon light was on. It said that cylinder 1 was misfiring for the first 1000 revolutions... Then the light went away. A couple weeks later, I was on the highway about to exit when the car just started slowing down. i could feel it resisting when i pressed the gas, to where i had the the pedal all the way to the floor. Then it sped back up, for a minute, (luckily I was on the off ramp) when suddenly the car just stop and died. I had to have AAA tow it. When I had my mechanic check it out, all was okay??? But the the very next morning, the service engine soon came back on.

- , Fountain Valley, CA, USA

Oct 012009

Taurus SE 3.0L V6

I had problems with my car riding rough when I tried to accelerate. I didn't get the problem fixed because I thought it was related to other problems I was having. They changed the serpentine belt in my car along with the oil. They flushed my radiator thinking that it would also fix my heating problem. I always smell oil burning as I drive my car. I don't know what the problem is. I think it is burning oil. Before having my "leaking" radiator reservoir, I thought the problem would go away. It hasn't.

- , Evansville, IN, USA

Apr 292006

Taurus SES

I have replaced almost every sensor solenoid on the car. I have to use the shotgun approach because the geniuses at Ford designed a PCM system that cannot detect the problem. No more Ford cars for me.

- , Holly, MI, USA

Jun 012007

Taurus SEL

Many times when accelerating I get a hesitation. It feels exactly like a transmission problem like my last car except this hasn't turned out to be anything. It seems to happen most often when accelerating to highway speeds from an on-ramp when I am already going like 30mph and I accelerate to 60+. I had taken it back to the dealer shortly after purchasing it over 6 months ago, but they found nothing, and could get it to sputter in a test drive. It doesn't happen all the time. Its usually resolved by letting off the gas for a second, and then continuing... over 5000 miles later, its still doing it, and I've learned to live with it.

- , Cranston, RI, USA