CarComplaints.com Notes: Most people need a car where the coil springs don't puncture or shred tires while driving. The Taurus fails in that respect.

The 1999-2003 Ford Taurus has a huge problem with coil springs breaking, which can puncture or even shred tires while driving.

The US government spent THREE YEARS (2008-2011) investigating the 2002-2003 Taurus coil springs. Although Taurus/Sable from earlier years were recalled, ultimately the NHTSA did not force a recall. They determined that because there had been no deaths & very few bad crashes & injuries, the broken coil springs defect was no big deal & not a safety defect. Tell that to all the owners who had close calls...

4.0

2002 Ford Taurus transmission problems

transmission problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2002 Ford Taurus:

2002 Ford Taurus Owner Comments

Mar 272016

Taurus SES 24v Dohc

Exact same problem as mentioned in the other comment - even the shuddering when idling with the AC on. We asked the shop we use and they couldn't find any similar problems. No other issues shifting up or down. My main concern is that this is some sign of future transmission failure in which case I would probably stop putting general maintenance money into the car.

- , Cleveland Heights, OH, USA

Dec 092011

Taurus SE V6

I have had this issue since I bought the car last march. It had about 110,000 miles on it and shortly after I bought it I noticed that the transmission shudders when going in to overdrive while going up a hill. I live in Kentucky so that is often! I have also noticed that it shudders when the air conditioning compressor kicks in too! Weird!

I added some transmission additive that was supposed to eliminate the shuttering but it didn't help.

Any ideas?