CarComplaints.com Notes: Most people need a car that shifts gears & coil springs that don't shred tires. The Taurus fails in that respect.

The 2003 Ford Taurus has major issues with the transmission failing. Typically the 2003 Taurus transmission failure costs $2,000 to fix by about 90k-100k miles. Not good.

Adding insult to injury, the 1999-2003 Taurus also has a huge problem with coil springs breaking which can puncture or even shred tires while driving.

The US government spent THREE YEARS (2008-2011) investigating the 2002-2003 Taurus coil springs. Although Taurus/Sable from earlier years were recalled, ultimately the NHTSA did not force a recall. They determined that because there had been no deaths & very few bad crashes & injuries, the broken coil springs defect was no big deal & not a safety defect. Tell that to all the owners who had close calls...

2003 Ford Taurus AC / heater problems

AC / heater problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2003 Ford Taurus:

2003 Ford Taurus Owner Comments

Jul 062009

Taurus ES 3.2L V

MY CAR CUTS COMPLETELY OFF IF I HAVE THE A/C, HEATER OR THE FRONT DEFROST ON--AS SOON AS U PUT IT INTO DRIVE THE CAR SHUT RIGHT OFF!!!

I am a single mother of 2 and this problem affects my children as well as myself. In the summer it's hot and there's no a/c and in the winter my poor babies are freezing. I have to use blankets to try to stay warm. My job was a nice distance from my home. It would be ok in the summer but in bad weather it was, and is, horrible--did I mention my front defrost will not work while my car is in drive either. This poses a potential danger in rain, hail,ice and snow storms.

- , Philadelphia, PA, USA