CarComplaints.com Notes: Most people need a car that shifts gears & coil springs that don't shred tires. The Taurus fails in that respect.

The 2003 Ford Taurus has major issues with the transmission failing. Typically the 2003 Taurus transmission failure costs $2,000 to fix by about 90k-100k miles. Not good.

Adding insult to injury, the 1999-2003 Taurus also has a huge problem with coil springs breaking which can puncture or even shred tires while driving.

The US government spent THREE YEARS (2008-2011) investigating the 2002-2003 Taurus coil springs. Although Taurus/Sable from earlier years were recalled, ultimately the NHTSA did not force a recall. They determined that because there had been no deaths & very few bad crashes & injuries, the broken coil springs defect was no big deal & not a safety defect. Tell that to all the owners who had close calls...

2003 Ford Taurus suspension problems

suspension problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2003 Ford Taurus:

2003 Ford Taurus Owner Comments

Feb 272009

Taurus

No events, the rear coil spring on my 2003 Taurus 4 door sedan simply broke. I hear from the Ford dealer mechanics and the tire store people that broken coil springs on a Taurus and Sable are as common as flat tires.

- Washington Court House, OH, USA

Feb 102009

Taurus

The contact owns a 2003 Ford Taurus. While backing out of the driveway, the contact heard a grinding sound coming from the rear of the vehicle. He drove to a local repair shop and the mechanic stated that the rear driver's side coil spring was cracked and puncturing the rear driver's side tire. The vehicle was not repaired and the dealer and manufacturer were not notified. The current and failure mileages were 35,896.

- Newton, NJ, USA

Dec 142008

Taurus

Rear passenger coil spring broke and destroyed the tire while driving 15 mph. Will not know what additional damage was done until I talk to my mechanic.

- Appleton, WI, USA

Oct 272008

Taurus

Recently purchased a 2003 Ford Taurus sedan SE with 45,000 miles on it. I have put very few miles on it myself (about 3,000). Today I discovered that the rear coil springs are both broken. I had a flat tire in the left rear and found that the coil spring has broken and cut the tire. The right coil spring must have been broken previously but did not cause any tire damage (that I know of). Luckily the flat happened as I was exiting on an offramp from the highway. The coil springs will have to be replaced today to avoid continued problems (total cost $840 including new tire).

- Cincinnati, OH, USA

Aug 182008

Taurus

Both rear springs broken on a 2003 Taurus.

- Almont, MI, USA

Aug 072008

Taurus

I have a 2003 Ford Taurus and on 8-7-08 I was backing out of my mother's driveway and heard a loud pop. After inspecting everything under the car, I found the rear coil spring broken and sticking into my left rear tire. I had to purchase a left rear coil spring for $98 and I haven't received the repair bill yet.

- Speedwell, VA, USA

Aug 012008

Taurus

The contact owns a 2003 Ford Taurus. While proceeding through a stop sign at an unknown speed, the contact heard a snapping sound. He continued home and noticed that the rear driver's side quarter panel was lower than the passenger side. The dealer stated that the rear coil spring caused the failure. The manufacturer stated that there were no recalls on his vehicle related to this failure. The failure and current mileages were 60,066.

- Dowagiac, MI, USA

May 162008

Taurus

Heard a clunking in the rear of the vehicle. Found that the right rear spring had broken.

- Winona, MN, USA

Jun 212008

Taurus

The passenger spring broke on my '03 Ford Taurus. I discovered this when I heard what I thought was a brake grinding. The brakes were fine, but the repairman noticed the damage. Luckily, I am having this repaired, before I got on the road for a 200 mile trip. The tire was being damaged and would have blown.

- Indianapolis, IN, USA

Jul 022005

Taurus

2003 Ford Taurus. The rear suspension collapsed while the consumer was driving approximately 25 mph. The piece that broke was taken to the dealership and she was told it was a defect from the beginning. The consumer's daughter was driving the vehicle and it was totaled. There was a police report filed. Her daughter has a cut behind her neck and a hematoma on her knee. She is still having probelms with her leg. The driver's side rear tire fell over.

- Carthage, MS, USA