CarComplaints.com Notes: Most people need a car that shifts gears & coil springs that don't shred tires. The Taurus fails in that respect.

The 2003 Ford Taurus has major issues with the transmission failing. Typically the 2003 Taurus transmission failure costs $2,000 to fix by about 90k-100k miles. Not good.

Adding insult to injury, the 1999-2003 Taurus also has a huge problem with coil springs breaking which can puncture or even shred tires while driving.

The US government spent THREE YEARS (2008-2011) investigating the 2002-2003 Taurus coil springs. Although Taurus/Sable from earlier years were recalled, ultimately the NHTSA did not force a recall. They determined that because there had been no deaths & very few bad crashes & injuries, the broken coil springs defect was no big deal & not a safety defect. Tell that to all the owners who had close calls...

9.1

$1,920.00

1. replace transmission (153 reports)
  3. replace torque converter (37 reports)
  4. sitting in drive way trying to figure something out (31 reports)
  5. rebuilt the transmission replacing only failed parts (18 reports)
  6. scrap it! (5 reports)
2003 Ford Taurus transmission problems

transmission problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2003 Ford Taurus:

2003 Ford Taurus Owner Comments (Page 16 of 17)

Jun 262009

Taurus SES 3.0L

Was on my way to work. Turned the corner at a stop sign and the transmission failed. All gears except PARK acted like neutral. I'm guessing that a transmission replacement will be in order.

- , Guston, KY, USA

Mar 232009

Taurus

On my way to work at 6 a.m., turned a corner, pushed on gas to accelerate, and the car would not go. Coasted to side of road, turned engine off, restarted engine, but car would not go forward or in reverse. There was absolutely no warning that anything was wrong with the car. Of course, I was told that my warranty had expired one year earlier. Cost me a little more than $2600 to get a reconditioned transmission with an exchanged rebuilt torque converter. For a school teacher who has used this car solely to go back and forth to school everyday, I was deeply disappointed and angry. This was not a repair that I could afford.

- , Baton Rouge, LA, USA

May 292009

Taurus SE 3.0L

LAST NIGHT I WENT TO PICK UP MY DAUGHTER ABOUT 20 MILES FROM MY HOME. I WAS PULLING UP TO A RED LIGHT AND IT CHANGED I STEPPED ON THE GAS AND THE CAR MADE IT THROUGH THE INTERSECTION THEN THE TRANSMISSION WENT OUT. THE ONLY GEAR THAT WORKS IS PARK!!!! IT HAS BEEN A GOOD CAR WITH MINOR PROBLEMS BUT I CANT BELIEVE THE TRANNY WENT WITHOUT WARNING LEAVING MY DAUGHTER AND I ON THE SIDE OF THE ROAD ABOUT 15 MILES FROM HOME. I DONT HAVE THE MONEY FOR THIS TYPE OF REPAIR AND THE MECHANIC SAID THE WEAKEST PART OF THE TAURUS IS THE TRANSMISSION!!!! I BELIEVE HIM NOW AFTER SEEING ALL THESE COMPLAINTS.

- , Baltimore, MD, USA

May 182009

Taurus SES 3.0L

I no more than bought this car and 70 miles later the transmission gave up right on the road. I bought it with 107K miles and the way it drove on the test drive gave NO indication that this would happen. Well I am done buying Ford vehicles when I can unload this car, I have been educated on these transmissions after much research. I would not have bought this car if I first knew of the transmission problems they have had so much trouble with. This is definitely bad engineering on Fords part and to keep on installing this junk in vehicles displays a lack of quality control. Maybe if Ford wants to be a viable and compete with foreign automobiles they should really start where the rubber hits the road and listen to customer complaints, learning from mistakes and produce quality vehicles Americans can be proud of

- , Quinter, KS, USA

May 212009

Taurus 3.0L

This is the first Ford vehicle I have ever owned and it has been a complete nightmare since shortly after I purchased it. The most recent issue at hand is, of course, the transmission. I had just dropped my daughters off to school and was on my way home. I stopped at a stop sign and then proceeded to cross a bridge. Without any warning at all the engine revved to 6 rpm and the car stopped moving. I turned off the car and restarted it to no avail. The vehicle no longer has drive or reverse. I called the dealership that I purchased the vehicle from to inquire about prices and was told that they would charge me $3000 to $3130 to replace the transmission with a re-manufactured one, depending on which transmission (a possibility of two) that I have...only they have no idea which one I have because the information in the computer that comes up when my vin is entered is incomplete...Great job Ford!

This is just the most recent of repairs I will have to make to this junk vehicle that I wasted my hard earned money on (and still owe $4000 for mind you). I have replaced a sensor on the brake pedal that tells the vehicle you have depressed the break pedal (this both allows you to have break lights and shift your vehicle into reverse and drive). Mind you this particular part was recalled in 2003 Ford Taurus but Ford refused to replace it in my car because my vin was not included in the recall. Odd...since I had the same exact issue. Also recalled and replaced at my expense was a filter that apparently has been known to start on fire. Again, I was given the same dubious reasoning. I have also dealt with a leaky trunk since day one and replaced the axle, water pump, starter, alternator, o2 sensors, tie-rods, ball joints, etc. Now I am sure that some of these items may fall into the list of general maintenance that I also have for my car. However, I can honestly say that I have invested more money into this "nearly new" (25,000 miles at time of purchase) vehicle that I purchased than any used vehicle I have ever owned in my entire life. I promise Ford this.....never again will I ever purchase a vehicle made by the Ford Company. There is a reason they are not excepting / needing money from the tax payers....because they are robbing all Ford owners blind by selling them lemon vehicles which are manufactured to break so that their customers have to pay a small fortune to repair them. There will be no customer loyalty here. They do not stand by their customers or their products and I sure will not stand by them. When will they be held accountable?!

- , Bay City, MI, USA

May 082009

Taurus 3.0L

Was coming back from State college just 3 miles from home.When i just went through a intersection up a slight hill. All of a sudden like spinning out on ice my car quit moving.Went through all the gears nothing. My son towed me home. Talked to several people they said it sounds like it in the transmission, cost of about $2000 - $3000. Then they wonder why American the auto industry is in the shape they are in. Why do the taxpayers have to bail them out and we get stuck with there JUNK!!!!!

- , Kersey, PA, USA

May 012009

Taurus SES 3.0L

Torque converter fail 2 years ago at about 65K miles. Had it fixed $2000. Now the "torque converter busings" are leaking fluid. About a quart every hundred miles. Estimate to fix is $2800. Yeah...probably not. I'm getting another estimate and trading the car. I have owned my last Ford.

- , Jackson, TN, USA

Oct 192007

Taurus SES 3.0L

2007 Traveling from Tennessee to Destin, FL the tranny gave up on the interstate somewhere in rural Alabama. My wife, 6 yr old son and I coasted to a stop at an exit ramp and before long a very nice fellow stopped and offered advice on where the nearest dealer was...30 miles away. Several hours later we left the car at the dealer and the tow truck ($200) driver dropped us at the Hampton Inn($100). We had to rent a car($300) to get to FLA and the dealer called the next day with a $1500 estimate. "Fix the piece of s@#t" I told him. We picked the car up on the way home and it's never stopped leaking transmission fluid.

By the way all of you American Car Bashers...It's a Mazda engine and tranny!

- , Jackson, TN, USA

Nov 032008

Taurus 3.0L

I bought my Ford Taurus with 41,000 miles on it. It has under 80,000 miles on it right now. And what do you know. The friggin Transmission goes out! What the HELL?!?!?! On top of that The Frickin Ford Morons knew they had bad Transmissions Before they put them in! This is Bull Crap. Now on top of makin my Reg. Car payment and keeping full coverage insurance on a car that wont drive. I get another bill, Called. Saving For A NEW TRANSMISSION. This is BuLLSHit!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

- , Shelby, MI, USA

Nov 272008

Taurus 3.2L V6

What in the world is going on with Ford, I suggest to repair their IMAGE with us AMERICAN CONSUMERS that they use some of that MONEY from US THE TAX PAYERS and give us a program to get our TRANSMISSIONS FIXED for LESS!

WHAT IN THE WORLD?? WHY NO SENSOR on a 2000.00 JOB? but YET THEY HAVE THEM EVERYWHERE ELSE that covers 200.00 parts!~ SEEMS LIKE THEY KNEW THEY WERE GONNA BE RIPPING US OFF AND NOW WE CAN JUST GO TO HELL!

FORD SUCKS and IM NEVER BUYING AMERICAN AGAIN unless FORD GETS OFF THEIR FREAKING DUFF and HELP US PEOPLE OUT THAT BOUGHT A FORD WITH THE CRAPPIEST TRANSMISSION and they KNEW A BOUT IT BEFORE even SELLING THEM!

YOU KNOW THEY KNEW!

BS FORD!

FU

- , Chanute, KS, USA

Feb 042009

Taurus SES 3.0L V6

This is my first ford, and i never had a problem until now. The same problems like the other owners, the transmission went out without warning, and left me stranded in the middle of the intersection on a military base. For a girl like me, its very uncomfortable and embarrassing, and its not the best time for the car to break down on me when i am hours away from home, and no one to help. Its bad enough that the countries overseas dont like us, but for us to deal with defected product from this country. but now im carless, and i still got $3,400 left to pay off my car, and to pay another 2-3 thousand for a transmission, for it to give me the same problem again?.... i dont think i want to keep the car.

- , Carol Stream, IL, USA

Jan 102009

Taurus 3.0L

I was on my way home and the transmission just went out it was snowing the roads were icy i hate for this is my third ford i had a ford explorer the transmission went out replaced it it went out i replaced it a total of three time before i junk the truck

- , Southbend, IN, USA

Jul 032008

Taurus SE 3.2L V6

transmission failed on highway. Had to have towed and replaced

- , Somerset, PA, USA

Dec 252008

Taurus SE 3.0L

Like most of the postings the car just stopped. Drove it home from Christmas Eve service and then went out on Christmas to go out and - Merry Christmas - car cranks, gear shift moves but does not transmission does not engage. Check the anti-theft sensors, and other sensors and belts. I take it to the Ford dealer near my house the next day and they tell me it is the mid-shaft and a pump in the housing. I only owe them $83 dollars so I am assuming they did some sort of computer diagnostics to determine the issue unless it only takes an hour or so to open up the trans and determine these two issues. I am getting estimates from $1500 to $3000 depending on if I go with a used, rebuild or factory re manufacture. Get this a Ford "factory remanufacture" carries a 100K warranty but the "original new" trans only has a 36K, sounds like they have better confidence in the rebuilt, I wonder if I can order a new car with a rebuilt factory remanufacture trans as an option.

I would think that with all of these postings and other forums I have seen there would be enough to get assistance from Ford on the lemon transmissions.

- , Harrisburg, NC, USA

Jan 012009

Taurus SES 3.0L

On the way home from a church New Year's Fellowship, in 30 degree weather, the transmission, without warning, whined, then gave up the ghost!! Nothing in any gear. This is the second Taurus to do so, both with under 97,000 miles and both without warning. The first Taurus had a Jasper re manufactured tranny put in and guess what! @ around the same mileage as the original going out, the re manufactured one went out...also without warning. This tells me there is something internally that Ford doesn't have a clue about. Here we are 11 years later and the same problem still exists...WAKE UP FORD...CHANGE TRANSMISSION ENGINEERS AND SUPPLIERS. THERE WILL NOT ANOTHER FORD PRODUCT BOUGHT, AND BOTH MY FATHER AND I HAVE WORKED FOR FORD!!!!

BUYER BEWARE!!!

- , Selma, AL, USA

Jun 102008

Taurus SES 3.0L V6

We spent last winter in Az with our son. We drove 1775 miles from Wisconsin to Az. One way. We drove alot of miles out in Az while we were there for four months. We drove 1775 miles back to Wisconsin from Az. We also drove over 2000 miles after getting home from Az. My wife drove across the highway to Walmart. Called home to say that the car wouldn't move. The transmission went out with no warning. Thank goodness it didn't happen on the way home from Az. The torque converter went out. Very unhappy with Ford. There should be a "service" program to take care of this problem. They have done so in the past.

- , La Crosse, WI, USA

Aug 232007

Taurus SES 3.0L V6

Was driving to work and suddenly had no power. I heard the engine wine and sounded like the car was in neutral. I had it towed (not cheap) to a garage where the told me i needed a new tranny. I called ford and the warranty was up a few thousand mile before (2000) and that there was nothing they could do. I sent it to a franchise transmission shop and it cost me a few hundred for them to drop the tranny and diagnose the problem. The pump shaft on the tranny had gone bad. HOW DOES THAT HAPPEN!!!!!! I take pride in the upkeep of my vehicles and even the mechanics were amazed at the cleanliness under the hood. If the tranny pump is located inside of a sealed system and has the proper fluid level HOW DOES IT GO BAD AT ONLY 47500 MILES????? Extremely poor craftsman ship, that's how. I had called fors again and fought with them for weeks. Guess what happened. IT COST ME 2000+ DOLLARS TO FIX AND WEEKS WITHOUT A CAR. Ford need to reevaluate the way it does business. Noe 20000 miles later i am having engine troubles and noone can tell me what it is. I know what ever it is is causing my car to stall out and my gas mileage plummeted. I served in this country's military for 7 years including a trip to iraq. all i have to say is after this ford is " FOREIGN, HERE I COME!!!"

- , Toms River, NJ, USA

Jul 012008

Taurus

For as long as Ford has been producing automobiles they should be able to come up with a transmission that lasts longer than 70,000 miles! I'm also having an electrical issue with this car. While I'm driving down the road it will suddenly lose power. Lights come on on the dash, engine stalls then it will kick back in. I've had it the shop more than once for this problem but no one can figure out what is causing this. I just want a car that is dependable! For as much as we have to pay for automobiles these days, I don't that is asking too much!

- , Polo, MO, USA

Nov 022008

Taurus

My Taurus quit in the middle of the road, would not back up, or go forward. The transmission had to be replaced. There were no warning signs at all that something was going to happen.

FORD SUCKS!!!!!!!

- , Spindale, NC, USA

Jul 222008

Taurus SES

Evidently the transmission fluid pump went out which destroyed my transmission. How can there be no early warning for this problem. I drove home from client site (35 miles) one night and the next morning the car will not even move. The car's computer can tell when the oxygen sensor needs replacing ($200 part) put not when the $2000 transmission is in danger. This is ridiculous. I try to buy American cars but I drove my Honda over 200,000 miles before replacing the transmission. I owned a Lincoln Towncard and the transmission went at 80,000 miles due to breakage of a 35 cent part. No wonder Ford Motor Co. is in financial trouble.

- , Orlando, FL, USA