CarComplaints.com Notes: Most people need a car that shifts gears & coil springs that don't shred tires. The Taurus fails in that respect.

The 2003 Ford Taurus has major issues with the transmission failing. Typically the 2003 Taurus transmission failure costs $2,000 to fix by about 90k-100k miles. Not good.

Adding insult to injury, the 1999-2003 Taurus also has a huge problem with coil springs breaking which can puncture or even shred tires while driving.

The US government spent THREE YEARS (2008-2011) investigating the 2002-2003 Taurus coil springs. Although Taurus/Sable from earlier years were recalled, ultimately the NHTSA did not force a recall. They determined that because there had been no deaths & very few bad crashes & injuries, the broken coil springs defect was no big deal & not a safety defect. Tell that to all the owners who had close calls...

9.1

$1,920.00

1. replace transmission (153 reports)
  3. replace torque converter (37 reports)
  4. sitting in drive way trying to figure something out (31 reports)
  5. rebuilt the transmission replacing only failed parts (18 reports)
  6. scrap it! (5 reports)
2003 Ford Taurus transmission problems

transmission problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2003 Ford Taurus:

2003 Ford Taurus Owner Comments (Page 17 of 17)

Sep 122005

Taurus SES V6

It was horrible. We were evacuating during hurricane Rita in 2005. The mileage was low and my warranty had just ran out about 1000 miles ago. We hadn't gotten very far and as we were climbing the hill I had my foot on the gas and was going no where. The car just died right there on a busy highway with hundreds of people in the evacuation route. I had to go to the expense of a tow truck which took several hours due to the situation and then the cost of the repair to replace a transmission converter. With no vacancy at any of the hotels and a shortage on rental cars and fuel we had to depend on family to drive down from Alabama to Texas to pick us up and bring us to a safe place. A horrible memory I still carry.

- , Silsbee, TX, USA

Aug 012008

Taurus SES 3.2L

AFTER FINDING THIS SITE I NOW KNOW THAT MY CAR WAS NOT THE ONLY ONE. LIKE MOST OF THE OTHERS, I WAS TWO CARS FROM THE STOP LIGHT SLOWING DOWN TO A STOP AND THEN THE ROAR OF THE ENGINE BUT THE CAR WONT MOVE. I HAVE BEEN TOLD BY OTHERS THAT THERE MAY BE A SENSOR THAT GOES OUT, A BAD NEUTRAL SWITCH BUT NOT THE TRANSMISSION. IF YOU NOTICE, THE GEAR SHIFT WILL NOT GO INTO ANY GEAR AND THERE IS NO GRINDING NOISE. IT IS A FORD PROBLEM AND THEY SHOULD TAKE CARE OF THIS

- , Chicago, IL, USA

Apr 072008

Taurus SE 3.2L V6

Picked my 4 year old up from Daycare pulled out on the ave and the car would not move,no noise ,no nothing,engine was fine,fluids fine in trans.Had to coast to shoulder against horrible South Florida drivers and called tow truck.Estimate for 3k. from repair shop.(one of the common ones!)My 1999 had 130k no problems.I will never buy another Ford car.My Ford Fleet for my Business vans ect.... Knock on wood all are above 100k and running good with regular care.

- , Coconut Creek, FL, USA

Mar 082008

Taurus SES V6

On March 8, 2008 I took my 2003 Ford Taurus to the Ford Dealership to have them look at the breaks on my car, They then told me that it wasn't the breaks that I need tires, so I get tires, an alignment, oil change.

Then they tell me that oh, your car just stopped running, I said, what do you mean my car just stop running, there was nothing wrong with my car when I brought it in, anyway, they took me to my car, once I got in I tried to shift into reverse, the car did not move, I tried to shift into drive, the car still did not move, now I am upset because I think they did something to my car to disengage the transmission.....because before this incident there were absolutely no signs that the transmission was going, it just stoped. Now the Ford dealership tells me that it will cost me to diagnose the problem....DUH!!...CAR WON'T MOVE WHILE IN GEAR!!!!!!!.....TRANSMISSION!!!! TRANSMISSION!!!! YA THINK? WHAT'S TO DIAGNOSE-----FIX THE THING!

SO NOT ONLY AM I GETTING ROBBED OF MY VEHICLE WHILE THEY TAKE THEIR TIME TO REPAIR IT, THEY WANT TO CHARGE ME TO DIAGNOSE AN OBVIOUS PROBLEM....THIS CAR IS THE PITS....BUY AMERICAN! YEAH! WE HAVE BEEN SOLD OUT, WE ARE TREATED IGNORANTLY BY THE DEALERSHIPS WHEN FORD SHOULD HAVE ISSUED A RECALL ON THIS TRANSMISSION PROBLEM!

IT IS A REAL SHAME THAT FOR THE HIGH PRICES WE PAY FOR THESE CARS AND ALL THE MODERN TECHNOLOGY AVAILABLE, WE AS THE PUBLIC CONTINUE TO BE ROBBED, IGNORED, CHEATED BY THE FORD COMPANY...NO WONDER THEY'RE QUARTER LOSSES ARE SO GREAT....WHAT YOU DO TO OTHERS RETURNS TO YOU AGAIN!!!!!!

- , Newark, DE, USA

Feb 262008

Taurus LX

driving home from work, stop at a traffic light at a very busy intersection, try to start up to move forward and the car will not go anywhere, not forward, not in reverse, nothing. Find out it needs a new transmission with only 39K mileage. Ford stinks!!

- , Mt. Epharim, NJ, USA

Feb 212008

Taurus 3.0L V6

In September of 2007 while the car was under warranty, Ford dealership could not find anything wrong with the car. It would rev the engine, but the car would not move and then would die, as it reset the computer. They had my car for over 2 months and the last time it was in they had it for 5 weeks. They replaced a fuel pump and filter and that was it. Now my car is out of warrantly and my mechanic has determined it to be a transmission problem, probably wiring but possibly the computer board. The dealership told me I was tough out of luck and the only thing they would warrant was the fuel pump and the filter. There is nothing wrong with my fuel pump or filter. Ford should have placed this car on a recall. The dealership is never going to incur the costs on its own. Why should they since it has been rigged for the computer to reset when the symptom occurs. What a piece of work FORD is. I have tried to support the American Auto industry but why should I when they won't support me.

- , Crestwood, KY, USA

Aug 032007

Taurus SES V6

Ford dealer said transmission failure is common in the Taurus at about 100k miles.

Otherwise, good cheap used car for transportation (even with a $3k tranny replacement).

- , Davenport, IA, USA

Dec 242007

Taurus SES

Not sure what is going on. Someone is coming today to take a look at it. It does sound just like the other complaints here. If it is then Ford should take care of us!!

- , Whitehall, NY, USA

Nov 042007

Taurus SEL

On the drive from Florida to New York, the first 960 miles were uneventful. When we pulled out of the toll plaza to get on the NJ Turnpike, the car bucked violently and a series of loud "bangs" were heard from the engine compartment. The vehicle would still accelerate, but was straining. About 1/4 mile later, heavy smoke was pouring out the back.

Some kind of back-pressure had blown the filler stick out and two quarts of transmission fluid has overflowed into the engine compartment. When I started the engine about 20 minutes later, the car jerked forward even though it was in park, but none of the gears (reverse, drive, overdrive, etc) would engage. There were no prior symptoms or indications that his failure was pending. The car had operated perfectly all the way up the east coast.

I had to pay several hundred dollars to tow the vehicle to New York. And now I'm looking at several THOUSANDS for a new transmission? No way. I'm planning on having the matter addressed with Ford Corporate. A vehicle with less than 45k miles on it should never need the transmission replaced.

- , Kingston, NY, USA

Nov 102007

Taurus SES 3.0L V6

On my home from work at 5:00 pm.With out warning....While coming to a red light I began to slow down.The light turned green I stepped on the gas to proceed and there was nothing.No indication at all no leaks,no slips,no noise just nothing. I was able to get to the side of the road I began checking fluid level, turned off traction control.It just died I can not explain what would cause such a thing to happen,nor could the repair shop.They told me after spending $1950 on the repair that theres no way you did not know it was going.I assured him there were no indications.I don't claim to be an ace mechanic,but I have had my share of do-it yourself repairs.Ford should just pay to repair all there transmissions.. This is unbelievable

- , Mentor, OH, USA

Nov 042007

Taurus SES 3.0L V6

On my way to work at 5:45am.With out warning....While coming to a red light I began to slow down.The light turned green I stepped on the gas to proceed and there was nothing.No indication at all no leaks,no slips,no noise just nothing. I was able to get to the side of the road I began checking fluid level, turned off traction control.It just died I can not explain what would cause such a thing to happen,nor could the repair shop.They told me after spending $1750 on the repair that theres no way you did not know it was going.I assured him there were no indications.I don't claim to be an ace mechanic,but I have had my share of do-it yourself repairs.Ford should just pay to repair all there transmissions..they just suck........

- , North Babylon, NY, USA