CarComplaints.com Notes: Most people need a car that shifts gears & coil springs that don't shred tires. The Taurus fails in that respect.

The 2003 Ford Taurus has major issues with the transmission failing. Typically the 2003 Taurus transmission failure costs $2,000 to fix by about 90k-100k miles. Not good.

Adding insult to injury, the 1999-2003 Taurus also has a huge problem with coil springs breaking which can puncture or even shred tires while driving.

The US government spent THREE YEARS (2008-2011) investigating the 2002-2003 Taurus coil springs. Although Taurus/Sable from earlier years were recalled, ultimately the NHTSA did not force a recall. They determined that because there had been no deaths & very few bad crashes & injuries, the broken coil springs defect was no big deal & not a safety defect. Tell that to all the owners who had close calls...

9.1

$1,920.00

1. replace transmission (153 reports)
  3. replace torque converter (37 reports)
  4. sitting in drive way trying to figure something out (31 reports)
  5. rebuilt the transmission replacing only failed parts (18 reports)
  6. scrap it! (5 reports)
2003 Ford Taurus transmission problems

transmission problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2003 Ford Taurus:

2003 Ford Taurus Owner Comments (Page 5 of 17)

Aug 032012

Taurus SE V6

I start my new job on Aug 6, 2012 at BNSF railroad in Fresno, CA. Fresno is a hour drive from where I'm located. The transmission failed on Aug 3, 2012, the Friday afternoon before my Monday morning start date. I immediately towed it to my mechanic who was wrapping up for the day. He took a brief look... checked axles... tranny fluid... and all appeared well. He may not get around to it this weekend so now I'm stressing starting my new job. I googled the incident and came across this site with over 200 identical complaints. Every post matches exactly what happened to me. I thought i knocked the shifter into neutral as i was driving but when i checked and seen i was still in Drive i knew it was bad. It is my only vehicle... and family vehicle. This incident could not have happened at a worse time. Seeing how common it is, I hope Ford owns up to their fault.

- , Visalia, CA, USA

Aug 012012

Taurus SES

Just bought this car from next door neighbor 300 miles ago. Was going 30 mph., and all of the sudden it was like tranny was in neutral. Car wasn't hot, only put on 2 miles this day! Is this an easy fix? Hope it doesn't cost more to fix than I paid for the damn thing!! (well, it's not paid for yet, still owe them $1000!!!!)

- , Big Lake, MN, USA

Jul 112012

Taurus SE V6

While backing into a friends driveway, my transmission went. It slipped out of gear and never went back in. I have only had the car for 4 years and always kept up with the maintenance. Have not been able to get it fixed. Without a car presently. Riding my bike to work etc. Very inconvenient. Never would have purchased a ford taurus if I knew they had transmission problems. Not sure what to do at this point. Any help would be appreciated.

- , Pine City, NY, USA

Jun 262012

Taurus SES 3.0L Ohv

Well my 2003 Taurus tranny failed, too. Initially I'd get an errant slip at highway speeds but then one hot summer day, instead of going right home after work, I ran some extra errands which obviously was the breaking point for her. While trying to pull through a very busy intersection I tried to accelerate and the tranny kept slipping. I barely made it but there was sure a lot of angry motorists "showing me the love." I was able to limp her home the next 6 miles or so much to the chagrin of those behind me. I checked the fluid...suspiciously high on the level. Sounds like a pump failure. I consulted a transmission shop and they urged me not to change the fluid at this point or it'll die immediately. So far it's okay for my quick commute to work but I'm getting it rebuilt next week. After it cools down it drives okay as long as I just accept the errant slips on the highway, Times are tough finacially right now and this is definitely not an expense I need. Frustrating putting over $2,000 in a car worth barely twice that but I cannot afford a better car at this point. It would be wonderful for Ford to acknowledge this problem for everyone.

- , Tulsa, OK, USA

Jun 152012

Taurus SE 3.0L

I GUESS THERE ARE MANY OF US WITH THIS PROBLEM. WAS DRIVING ALONG, SLOWED DOWN FOR A RED LIGHT, WHEN LIGHT TURNED GREEN, TRIED TO ACCELERATE AND NOTHING HAPPENED. JUST LIKE I PUT IT IN NEUTRAL. CHECKED FLUID LEVEL, WAS FINE. THERE WAS NO NOISE, NO ADVANCED WARNING THAT TRANSMISSION WAS GOING OUT, NOTHING. FORD NEEDS TO STEP UP AND FIX THIS PROBLEM FOR EVERYONE. NEEDS TO HAVE A RECALL.

- , Fort Wayne, IN, USA

Jul 132012

Taurus SE V6

friday the 13th at 6pm on rt 1 in bumper 2 bumper traffic..nothing unusual with my car or the ride, until i pushed the gas pedal and nothing??? What?? It worked fine 1 second ago! I'm waiting for smoke,warning light,a noise.. its running but not driving. My boyfriend came and rescued me, he has a 2006 ford F150 and 2 times he has been driving down the hwy and the same thing happened to him..push gas pedal and nothing, only both times he restarted the truck and it drove fine. I fear mine needs a transmission operation, but, If its not a full trans problem, and just torque convertor i will report back.

- , Langhorne, PA, USA

Jul 212012

Taurus

WAS ON OUR WAY HOME. ALL AT ONCE CAR WOULDN'T MOVE . WE HAD TO PUSH IT OFF ROAD AND WAIT FOR WRECKER.IT WAS MIDNIGHT. WAS 2 IN THE MORNING BEFORE WE GOT HOME. TRANSMISSION HAD WENT OUT. SOMETHING SHOULD BE DONE . FORD SHOULD RECALL ALL 2003 FORD TAURUS CARS AND FIX TRANSMISSION.

- , Dewey, OK, USA

Jul 022012

Taurus SES 3.0L V6

I bought this car used with 83,000 miles in 2010. Had no major problems until the transmission just quit and left me stranded. Then I did some research and found out that this is a common problem with the 2003 Taurus. I was quoted $3000.00 to rebuild the transmission. I am going to put that $3000.00 as a down payment on a new car and it definitely won't be another Taurus.

- , East Stroudsburg, PA, USA

Jul 192012

Taurus

I lost my job in November of 2010 and had to cash out part of my IRA to purchase a use car. I found a great looking 2003 FORD Taurus; a nice clean family car. On 10-06-11 we purchased it for $4,600 with 103,159 miles. Today, my husband and I were leaving to start a 10 day trip to my Mother's house in Michigan. 12 miles from home and without warning the car lost power. The RPMs soared but no power to the drive. We were able to coast safely off the freeway. Our mechanic informed us that it was the transmission. Outraged, we not only lost our vacation but more to the point we lost our car after only 257 days and 16,110 miles. I am still unemployed with only one other car. If I had seen this website sooner I would never had purchased this obviously problematic vehicle. FORD MOTOR COMPANY HOW CAN YOU TO THIS TO PEOPLE AND THEIR LIVES!!! CORRECT THIS DEFECT! REPLACE OUR TRANSMISSIONS!

- , Valparaiso, IN, USA

Jun 122012

Taurus 3.0L

Was driving down the road just fine, no noise nothing leading up to what i was about to experience. When it came time for me to go I pushed the gas and the car would not move, I tried everything , it would not go in any gear at all, transmission fluid was fine, had to have it towed to the nearest shop , where to my surprise i was told the tranny was out and that it would cost 1799.00 to replace, this really sucks. i would have never bought a ford if i would have known that they have trouble with tranny and they do nothing to help the customer out as far as replacement cost.

Tim

- , Saratoga, IN, USA

Jun 152012

Taurus

2003 Ford Taurus -- Transmission failed at a very inopportune time. Lucky to be alive. Complete replacement needed. Consider this very stupid engineering on Ford's part -- NO transmission should fail at 75,000 miles, yet I see that it is definitely a pattern. Wake up America! Will NEVER buy Ford again. Case closed.

- , Dw, SC, USA

Jul 042012

Taurus V6

my and my children were driving our 2003 taurus. it slipped out of gear and won't move at all but I can shift but wont go anywhere. turns on and off fine, just wont drive.

- , baltimore, MD, USA

Jul 032012

Taurus SES 3.0L

Have a 2003 Ford Taurus while leaving a parking lot yesterday, transmission just stopped, car would rev up but go nowhere. There were no warning signs just replaced electronic spark, wires, and plugs car was running great. After a 80$ tow and an evaluation from my personal Mech he says its "toast" 1,800-2,000$ for rebuilt one or 1,000$ for used around 100,000

the car only has 125,000 miles on it with value of car factored...

in not worth fixing "SUX"

- , Aiken, SC, USA

Jun 082012

Taurus

My Parents and I bought our 2003 Ford Taurus's new together at the same dealer at the same time. in March this year (2012) their transmission completely failed with no warning while driving. they had 88,000 miles. cost them $1750 to repair.

June 8th this year, three months later, my transmission completely failed while driving. I had 82,000 miles. Same exact thing. Same shop practically reprinted my parents bill and gave it to me $1750.

This is positively a defect. FORD needs to take some responsibility. Our family is historically Ford people. Sadly I don't think Ford will own up and contribute something, half? In order to keep a customer. We will never buy a Ford again.

- , Paramus, NJ, USA

Nov 022011

Taurus SE 3.0L

The car had 16,000 miles on it when I got it. Has been a pain in the ass since then. Was driving to work one morning, stopped at a traffic light and when I went to take off, nothing. Managed to get it to the emergency lane and finally got it towed a couple hours later. Had roughly 88,000 on it when the transmission went out, and now the engine is using oil. And yes, I have routinely changed the oil and everything that goes along with that. Safe to say I will never own another Ford

- , Greensburg, KY, USA

May 222012

Taurus

It makes me feel better to know that 226 other people have had problems with a 2003 Ford Taurus transmission. You can consider me Number 227! Others of you have the right idea, hopefully we can get a lawsuit filed against Ford!

- , Logan, UT, USA

Apr 112012

Taurus SES 3.0L V6

Transmissions should not be this expensive (nearly $2000) for this old of a car - especially if the manufacturer knows there is a problem. This is a blatant example of a company over charging customers.

- , Commerce City, CO, USA

May 092012

Taurus SES

Had a Taurus wagon that lasted for 300,000 miles; bought a 2003 Ford Taurus new and while driving to work yesterday, it just died out. Found out it needs a new transmission - only 69,000 miles on it and taken the best care of. Wish I still had my old wagon that never had a problem.... Won't buy another Taurus....

- , Rochester, MN, USA

Apr 202012

Taurus Se StationWagon 3.0L

I got up this morning drove to the gas station and went back home. I got back in the car 5 minutes later and drove off a few minutes later the car stopped moving while I was going up a small hill and started going in reverse and would not go in gear. I pushed it to my house and it is sitting. I had a mechanic look at it and he said the transmission gears went out. Where is the RECALL for this ridiculous failure of the transmission with no warning?

- , Marietta, GA, USA

Mar 242012

Taurus SES 3.0L

no warning,i was driving down us-10, on my way back from my aunt's funeral, with my mother in the car. i started loosing speed, no matter how much i stepped on the gas the car wouldn't go. i steered the car to the side of the road & called a wrecker. which toed me to my ford dealer. i'll find out Monday what the problem is...I'm not very happy. i hear Subaru's are pretty dependable

- , Midland, MI, USA