CarComplaints.com Notes: Most people need a car that shifts gears & coil springs that don't shred tires. The Taurus fails in that respect.

The 2003 Ford Taurus has major issues with the transmission failing. Typically the 2003 Taurus transmission failure costs $2,000 to fix by about 90k-100k miles. Not good.

Adding insult to injury, the 1999-2003 Taurus also has a huge problem with coil springs breaking which can puncture or even shred tires while driving.

The US government spent THREE YEARS (2008-2011) investigating the 2002-2003 Taurus coil springs. Although Taurus/Sable from earlier years were recalled, ultimately the NHTSA did not force a recall. They determined that because there had been no deaths & very few bad crashes & injuries, the broken coil springs defect was no big deal & not a safety defect. Tell that to all the owners who had close calls...

9.1

$1,920.00

1. replace transmission (153 reports)
  3. replace torque converter (37 reports)
  4. sitting in drive way trying to figure something out (32 reports)
  5. rebuilt the transmission replacing only failed parts (18 reports)
  6. scrap it! (5 reports)
2003 Ford Taurus transmission problems

transmission problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2003 Ford Taurus:

2003 Ford Taurus Owner Comments (Page 8 of 17)

Nov 292011

Taurus SE/wagon V.6

After reading about the 186, now 187 complaints, I realize I AM NOT ALONE!!! This doesn't make it any better. I was driving about 60 mph with a friend and barely made it up a hill to a driveway(thanks goodness, not a freeway) when the acceleration stopped, tried several times to put into any gear and no response. FRUSTRATION BEGINS TO SET IN!!!!!!!!!!, but nothing like now after reading about 200 more Ford (or former) patrons and the same problem. So why the big "hush" about this universal problem....COME ON.....mechanics, salespeople and dealers........How do you expect to sell cars and service them when this many customers are irate about this major concern??. I'm all for a class action suit against

Ford Motor Co.

- , Wentworth, SD, USA

Aug 022011

Taurus 3.0L

Same problem as most everyone else on this site. Driving ... No Warning No Lights No Noise Nothing go to pass tanker coming off stop light and rpms go way up but no acceleration...

- , Hanover Park, IL, USA

Nov 172011

Taurus SES 3.0L

wow I guess I was lucky to get the mileage I got. i was warned about the bad trannys. I was on the nyc thruway and it just failed. not one indication of a problem. I pulled over to the shoulder and had nothing, no gears at all. didn't realize it was such a big problem. I feel screwed.

- , rochester, NY, USA

Nov 042011

Taurus SES 3.0L

I wanted to let everyone know that has this transmission problem with their Taurus that I also filed a complaint with NHTSA at 1-888-327-4236. I am sure some have , but I think the more of us that do we will have a better chance of them making ford to file a RECALL. If they do even if you have paid for the repair then as long as you have the receipts for the repair then they will reimburse you the repair..

Update from Dec 30, 2011: I have contacted National Highway Traffic Safety Administration to report the transmission problem. They already have almost 200 reports. if we all send in reports they might make ford to make a Recall for our cars. Even if the car is already fixed. They will reimburse us for the cost as long as we keep our reciepts. I hope his will work. most of us can not afford to fix this and it should be thier responsibility because this is a safety hazzard. there has been one person that has lost thier life because of the problem.

- , Hollywood, FL, USA

Nov 132011

Taurus SES

getting ready to leave for work at 5a.m on 11/13/11 car won't move, no warning at all. I'm an everyday working man (age 30)...paycheck to paycheck... no extra money...bank still owns the car. So I'm really pissed off trying to figure out what to do...no car to get to work,

and no money to fix this car!!!

- , Wiscasset, ME, USA

Jul 022011

Taurus SES V6

This is the third Taurus of that body style I have owned.

1st: 2001 Taurus SES w/ DOHC engine. Had 250,000 miles on it when traded. Never had any problems.

2nd: 2004 Taurus SES w/o DOHC motor. I traded my 2001 for it. It was involved in a "roller crash that hit a block wall in Nov.15, 2007. It had 190,000 miles on it when totaled. Never had any problems with it other than normal maintenance.

Do to owning the above two Tauruses I thought it be safe to buy another. My wife and I walked and rode the city bus service for 18 mos. after the accident. I owed $12,250 on the car and the other drivers' ins.co. Nationwide, you know the one that has the jingle on their commercials "Nationwide we're on OUR side".

So we purchased our 3rd: 2003 Taurus SES w/o DOHC motor. Had 85,000 miles when purchased Feb 27,2009. Date and mileage transaxle went out Sat. July 2,2011 at 8:15 pm. I too also had no warning. I too have contacted and filed a complaint with the NHTSA in regards to this matter plus another complaint about those DAMNED yellow headlight lenses. The most hazardous the auto industry has allowed to be put on a motored vehicle, second only to allowing cell phone use while driving. Lee Barry, Bristol,Va.

- , Bristol, VA, USA

Nov 092011

Taurus SES V6

Same problem as everyone else here Took it for emissions test and it passed with flying colors. Drove to the DMV to renew license plates. Mailed the car payment to Ford along with the insurance premium. Many miles and stops later I headed home and parked in the driveway. Went out about an hour later and it started right up but would not go into gear. The shifter moves but does not click into any gear. Reverse lights come on in the back but the car remains stuck in neutral. It will no longer even go into park mode. Had a mechanic friend come to look at it. Checked the cable, fluid, all the obvious things and everything is okie dokie. So he referred me to a transmission specialist who I will talk to next week. He advised me this is a very common problem and the repair should be around $2000.00. I'm sure I forgot to mention that I am currently unemployed, recently divorced and have no credit cards. Looks like my Taurus is going to be sitting in my driveway for quite sometime. If anyone out there is from the Chicago northwest suburbs, please let me know if you know anyone who may be able to help me....I live just north of Elgin and have no idea what to do next. I will be calling Hopkins Ford tomorrow, which is where I purchased the car from. Maybe there is some sort of Angel that works there that can help me. Hanging on a wing & a prayer with my fingers crossed!

- , West Dundee, IL, USA

Jul 072011

Taurus SES 3.0L V6

Same problem as everybody else, transmission went out with no warning. My wife was driving and was able to coast to a safe stop. I AM VERY INTERESTED IN A CLASS ACTION LAWSUIT!

- , Greenwood, MO, USA

Oct 302009

Taurus SES 3.2L V6

I'm pissed and i want something done about it. my transmission failed when i came to a stop.

- , Abington, MA, USA

Nov 072011

Taurus SE

I WAS DOING 25 MPH, JUST WENT THROUGH A INTERSECTION AND LOST SPEED ENGINE RUNNING, EVERYTHING WORKED BUT HIT THE GAS AND ENGINED REVVED BUT NO SPEED LUCKILY WAS ABLE TO PULL OFF ROAD INTO PARKING LOT. I HAVE PARK BUT NO DRIVE, REVERSE,ETC. RAN DIAGNOSTIC -NOTHING, TRANSMISSION FLUID CHECKED CLEAN NO PARTICLES IN FLUID- NO CHECK ENGINE LIGHT. OUR MECHANIC SAID THE ONLY THING HE COULD THINK OF IT BEING IS TORQUE CONVERTER! OK THIS GONNA COST OVER 1200 TO FIX. i SEE HUNDREDS OF 2003 TAURUSES HAVING SAME PROBLEM. WHY IS THERE NOT A RECALL THIS COULD HAVE BEEN A DISASTER IF I HAD BEEN ON THE INTERSTATE! THIS IS A SAFETY ISSUE!!!!!!!!

- , Hedgesville, WV, USA

Nov 042011

Taurus SE 3.0L V6

I WAS DRIVING DOWN THE ROAD ABOUT 60 AND HEARD THE ENGINE REV UP. I PUT IT IN ''N'' AND COASTED OFF THE ROAD. TOWED IT HOME, CHANGED TRANY FILTER N FLUID STILL SAME PROBLEM. NOT TOO HAPPY 96,000 MILES AND HAVE TO RIP TRANY OUT ALREADY.NOT A VERY GOOD DESIGN WITH THAT LITTLE OF MILES I EXPECTED MORE FROM FORD.

- , Bremen, IN, USA

Jul 132011

Taurus SEL 3.0L

driving my kids back from Karate practice and stop at a stop sign. Take off and then it stalls and revs high. i manage to coast to the side of the road. it won't go into any gear at all.

WTF the car has 93k miles. my wife's escort has 185k miles and still runs like a champ! i have a windstar with 188k miles and finally died (oil leak).

- , Esmond, IL, USA

May 302011

Taurus ES V6

I HAVE A 2003 FORD TAURUS. TODAY I WAS SITTING AT A STOP LIGHT, WENT TO TAKE OFF AND THE ENGINE JUST FREE REVED. WOULDNT BUDGE. IT WILL SHIFT INTO THE PROPER POSITION BUT NO GEARS WILL ENGAGE. FORWARD OR REVERSE.. MEMORIAL DAY. AND WE TOOK TWO CAR LOADS OF PEOPLE TO PUSH THIS ONE CAR!!!! LOOKED FUNNY, BUT IT WASNT.PUSHED IT 2 MILES. CHEAPER THAN A TOW, AND THE NEIGHBORS RALLIED. GO TEAM.

I HAVE ALWAYS BEEN A FORD GUY BUT DAMN, FORD YOU ARE SERIOUSLY SCREWING THE POOCH.COME ON I KNOW YOU CAN DO BETTER. TECHNOLOGY IS SUPPOSED TO HELP, NOT HINDER!!!! I THINK I KNOW WHAT THE PROBLEM IS, BUT NOT ENTIRELY SURE. NO NOISES, NO LIGHTS, NO WARNING. FLUIDS GOOD, WELL TAKEN CARE OF.

- , Eldridge, IA, USA

Sep 172011

Taurus

Joining the 2003 Ford Taurus failed transmission group! On a trip, using the cruise control at 70 mph, stopped at a rest stop for about 5 minutes, got back in the car, started it up, drove about 200 yards, and out of the blue with no warning at all the car would not go forward, engine would rev up, but it would not go anywhere. Ended up being towed back home over 100 miles, took it to the Ford dealer and am out $3600! I am ticked off! I love my Ford Taurus, but not sure I will ever buy another Ford if they don't do something about this problem! I cannot afford to replace my car right now. I am retired and on a fixed income!

- , Louisville, KY, USA

Oct 122011

Taurus V6

Recently purchased from a private seller the 2003 Taurus, at 49k miles. Driving with only 58k miles the car decides to just stop, no drive, no reverse, no anything, but a body.

Transmission is gone........ I cannot believe that there was not a recall for this problem! The car is in absolutely excellent condition fully loaded, you name it for a 2003 it has it.

What are we left with - a cost of $2,000.00 to fix. Too many situations with the transmission on this site for Ford not to have a recall! maybe going foreign next car.......

Ford should step up to its faults on this one!

- , Richboro, PA, USA

Oct 132011

Taurus SEL

Well I have joined the Transmission Failure Club!!!!! Happened last night. No warning of any kind. Just driving down the highway and then nothing. Although I must say that for the last week there has been a noise from what I thought was from a front wheel bearing. My mechanic friend assumed the same thing. Whether the two things are related, who knows. Now I'm just waiting to hear from shop to see what the cost will be. Happy Times!!!

- , LONDON, Ontario, canada

Oct 112011

Taurus SES

Yet another defective torque converter!! Actual mileage on my car 39,464!! I have filed a complaint with NHTSA and I called the Ford 800-392-3673 number and filed a complaint with Ford. I was fortunate enough not to be on the road when this happened to me, I was just trying to get to work! I cannot afford to have this fixed at this time and I do have another vehicle I can drive, which is a Ford also. If Ford does not take care of their loyal customers, or any customers on this issue, I am DONE with FORD. If you had one of these defective torque converters and had it fixed, Ford is suppose to reimburse you IF THEY PUT OUT A RECALL ON THEM! File your complaints with NHTSA and call Ford @ 800-392-3673. Let your voice be heard, or buy a Honda, which is what I will be buying from now on, if this is not resolved

Update from Nov 14, 2011: Just picked up my Taurus, paid $1295.00 to replace the stripped torque converter. I recently just filed a compaint with my State Attorney General also, along with Ford

- , Loudonville, OH, USA

Sep 302011

Taurus SEL Dohc V6

Bought the car brand new, currently has 108K miles, up to this point no major problems to speak of. All of a sudden, went to take off while stopped at the light and the car responded as if it was in neutral. Fortunately I was able to coast into a parking lot and I was able to use AAA for the tow. I'm waiting to hear back from my mechanic now but from the postings on this site I'm expecting the worst. I can't afford another car right now (recently bought a brand new Buick Enclave that we love - so far) so I will have to bite the bullet and fix the Taurus. I am terribly disappointed to hear that this is a common problem and that Ford has done absolutely nothing about it.

- , Bolingbrook, IL, USA

Jun 082011

Taurus SES 3.2L V6

This car has been nothing but a money pit since I bought it used from the Ford Dealer. Now the transmission went out completely and needs to be replaced so the car is just parked in the driveway collecting dust. I am single mother who is trying to work and go to school and now have no means of transportation. I just got finished pouring every last dime into the car the week before for a different problem.

- , Tehachapi, CA, USA

Sep 092011

Taurus SE 3.0L

Had worked hard all day and had went to friends house for a little fishing at the private pond. Had great and relaxing time fishing, but had to leave early to get up to report to work at 530 am the next day. Started my 2003 Ford Taurus SE started to back out of friends drive and lots of revved up motor sounds, but no movement. Borrowed friends car to go home and report to work the next morning. Having little or no money, my friends and I tried to trouble shoot the problem. Realizing it was beyond our talent, I called my insurance carrier and I had my 2003 Taurus towed to the nearest Ford garage 20 miles away. Paul Miller Ford, in Lexington Ky informed me it was a torque converter and probably would need transmission. Handle it for $3500. Come on, car not even worth that much, however, I still owed a finance company so I needed to repair this car. Called Ammco Transmission and they said they could repair for $700 if Torque converter only or $1700 if transmission repaired. Of course, needed transmission so have paid $1700. However, computer not set and needed to return to have transmission cleaned and computer reset. Two weeks later and over $2500 spent I now have an automobile I need to drive until I die. Which may be sooner than I want due to stress from this incident. FORD really does need to address their problem with this transmission. Having read a great deal of the other responses, It appears we all have the same problem.

- , Lexington, KY, USA