Please take a moment & say thank you by donating $5 or whatever you can to the Center for Auto Safety. Notes: Most people need a car that shifts gears & coil springs that don't shred tires. The Taurus fails in that respect.

The 2003 Ford Taurus has major issues with the transmission failing. Typically the 2003 Taurus transmission failure costs $2,000 to fix by about 90k-100k miles. Not good.

Adding insult to injury, the 1999-2003 Taurus also has a huge problem with coil springs breaking which can puncture or even shred tires while driving.

The US government spent THREE YEARS (2008-2011) investigating the 2002-2003 Taurus coil springs. Although Taurus/Sable from earlier years were recalled, ultimately the NHTSA did not force a recall. They determined that because there had been no deaths & very few bad crashes & injuries, the broken coil springs defect was no big deal & not a safety defect. Tell that to all the owners who had close calls...

1. replace transmission (152 reports)
  3. replace torque converter (37 reports)
  4. sitting in drive way trying to figure something out (31 reports)
  5. rebuilt the transmission replacing only failed parts (18 reports)
  6. scrap it! (5 reports)
2003 Ford Taurus transmission problems

transmission problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2003 Ford Taurus:

2003 Ford Taurus Owner Comments (Page 9 of 17)

Jul 062011

Taurus SEL 3.2L V6

My daughter was driving home from college. Engine revved up but car wouldn't move. Towed it to a repair facility who said the transmission was bad. A remanufactured transmission was going to be $3,400 to $3,600. I went with them rebuilding the transmission and that was lowered to $2,500. Car had regular service and care. It gave no previous warnings or problems that the transmission was having problems. The transmission just stopped working. I feel this is a product defect and that Ford has a responsibility to make it right. I don't feel comfortable letting my daughter drive this car knowing this has happened as it makes me wonder what could fail next without any warning. I have two Ford vehicles now, but I am very tempted to get rid of them.

- , Newnan, GA, USA

Sep 132011

Taurus ES

Looks like no surprise another 2003 Ford Taurus with a bad torque converter or transmission!! I was driving to work and stopped at a signal light waiting to make a left turn. The light turned green. I punched the gas pedal to change lanes because there was a very slow moving truck in front of me. It was an uphill turn with two lanes of traffic. Thank goodness I was in the outside lane. I cleared the intersection and then the car acted liked it was in neutral. The motor was running but nothing happened when I pushed the pedal. I was able to drift to the curb. First I tried putting the car in low gear. Pushed the gas pedal. Nothing happened. Turned the motor off. Started again. Tried to accelerate. Nothing happened. I could tell by the sound it wasn't going into gear. Called my husband to wish him a HAPPY BIRTHDAY! Called tow truck. Called local mechanic. So strange my husband described our problem to the mechanic. You want to guess his response??? You guessed it! Said he had replaced SEVERAL torque converters lately in Ford Taurus'. I'm upset after reading all the comments on this site. It sounds like a very common problem with the Ford Taurus especially the 2003 model. I was thankful it broke down where it did. This problem has great potential for a very serious accident. No warning signs! Cars can be replaced and my next will not be a Ford. Lives can not! I would hope that Ford will do the right thing and make known the problems with this car before it leads to a tragedy if it hasn't already.

- , Lebanon, VA, USA

Jul 102011

Taurus SES V6

My Ford SES transmission just failed as I was coming home from the city. How embarrassing standing on the side of the road with no help. Luckily the tow driver of the $135 tow trip was nice. But Now i have no idea how i'm getting to work in the morning. Great This is just what I DIDN'T need. Thanks FORD. There was no warning all of a sudden my car started acting like it was in neutral and no gears would engage. Now i'm in between a rock and a hard place. No car, don't know how i'm going to get it fixed or when i'm going to have the time. I could go to work on the bus but when am i going to get this problem fixed if I do. :( i'm totally bummed. Someone warned me this would happen and now it has.

- , Birmingham, AL, USA

Jun 132011

Driving back from a family vacation from PCB on June 13th 2011, our 2003 Taurus transmission went out about halfway through the trip. It left my family stuck in Eufaula Alabama on the side of the road at 11 pm. We were going through a red light when the car stopped accelerating and now will only go into park or neutral (it seems). We had to have family come and rescue us and tow us back the folllowing evening. Now mind you it was 101 degrees, I am due any day now with my 3rd son and had my oldest 2 sons in the car with me (7 and 9). The car had NO issues prior to the trip. If it had not been for the local police and the kindness of a local church we would have been in some serious trouble.

- , Douglasille, GA, USA

Jun 172011

Just joined the faild torque converter club at 89,000 miles, cruise control set at 70mph, suddenly RPM meter skyrockets. Pull over, no gears, nothing! Totally out of the blue while on my way to work, no warning sign, nothning! out 2k. Buddy of mine sent me this link after i told him of my problem.

- , Yankton, SD, USA

Jun 092011

No need to explain the frustration. Simply put I had the exact same thing happen yesterday while cruise control was on. Just out of the blue, no gears. Class Action should be filed. This is ridiculous at 89,000 miles, majority of whice are highway.

- , Yankton, SD, USA

Sep 062011

Taurus LX V6

Should I be complaining about a 2003 Ford Taurus LX with 184,000 (yes one hundred eighty four thousand) miles needing a new transmission?

I made a UTurn and hit the gas pedal a bit hard and then....nothing....that was it.

Death By UTurn.

2 Yr Warranty on all parts and labor and I figure I'll spend the next 12 months figuring out which car to get to replace this one while it's still running.

So...should I piss and moan or be glad I got this many miles on it.

- , Fairfax, VA, USA

Sep 042011

Taurus SE

So on Sunday the fair was in town thought we would take the kids for the first time (kids 2 1/2 and 9 months) got everyone loaded drove around the corner and BAM! Just like that, no warning, the car loses all power. Not a single gear worked. Shut it off turned it back on NOTHING! I thank God that this happened when it did. Side road, no traffic and my brother with a truck and tow strap right ahead of us. Strapped it on towed it around the block back into the garage and this is where it is going to have to sit. There's no way after reading all this I will fix the transmission and take the risk of this happening again but in a more serious situation. I am just horrified by the number of complaints on this problem and how nothing has been done about it. Ford is obviously well aware of the problem. What is wrong with you people! Do the right thing already! Get the vehicle off the road before it ends in a serious tragedy for some family.

- , Mineral Point, WI, USA

Aug 302011

Taurus SES 3.0L

Ford Taurus(2003) with108000 miles and the torque converter just went. No leaks, no funny noises, no warning at all. I was driving along slowed down to turn and went to go again and had NOTHING but an engine that raced. I was very lucky not to be re-ended and was able to coast to a safe place to park. Ford wanted 1500.00 to fix. I was able to get Cottman to do for 1150.00. I have another 2003 Ford Taurus with 87000 miles. Is this going to go soon??? Come on Ford, I understand there are a lot of problems with torque converters. Maybe a recall should be issued.

- , Newtown, PA, USA

Jan 042010

Taurus SE

I was on my way home in the middle of rush hour and all of a sudden I couldnt accellerate to keep up with traffic. It was the middle of winter and snowing like crazy. I couldnt get the car to move into gear no matter how many times I tried, the engine only reveed. After waiting for a tow truck for 2 hours I was happy that all of the other features worked like the heat. This incident only proves what I have been told and that is Ford cars are not dependable.

- , Chicago, IL, USA

Sep 032011

Taurus LX V6

I was just driving, with no prior problems whatsoever and the transmission just locked up. I can't go forward or backward. It starts just fine but won't do anything thing else. What am I supposed to do now/ I cant afford another car right now, and I cant afford a few thousand dollars to fix this one. I thought I was going to have this one much longer.

- , Peru, IN, USA

Dec 102010

Another failed transmission for your list. No fluid leak, no warning at all. Drove into my garage after work on Friday and couldn't get out on Saturday. Had to push the dang thing out of the garage to have it towed. The transmission shop said that the fluid was dark and burnt smelling and they were surprised I had no warning. This was the start of a long list of repairs. Had I know how much this car would cost me this year, it would now be sitting at the bottom of Lake Erie. JUST KIDDING!

- , Painesville, OH, USA

Aug 222011

Taurus SES 3 V Six

This car was kept in a garage its whole life very low mileage 46,000. I just got off the freeway interstate 295 in Portland, Maine drove down from Winthrop, Maine. turned into first intersection and I heard a ting-ting then a clunk then nothing at all just rev up the motor and nothing in any of the gears. So I pushed thru an intersection jumping out as did my daughter - she fell and rolled over, jumped up and started pushing the car into a near-by hotel (clairion) parking lot. It did go in park and when shifted it was always in neutral or park. Had it towed back to Winthrop 90 miles - had to take apart frame to get engine and trainy out. Took apart and found failed torque converter. :-( WTF Ford you make a piece of sh*t for a car. I will never buy a ford again-you suck ford!!!! and im going to tell all my friends and rant on the internet about it. I hope your company fails because in the torque converter the splinze were all stripped and ford has not even addressed the problem selling same cheap ass tourque converter. there is an after market one that is more heavy duty cost more and its not made by ford.

- , Winthrop, ME, USA

Aug 242011

Taurus LX 3.0L V6

Same issue as everyone else. Doing 70 on the highway and the transmission silently failed. Luckily I was able to coast to an off ramp or I would have been stuck between a concrete barrier and rush hour traffic. Transmission shop will happily take $2500 for a rebuilt transmission. I might just be able to get that money back out of the car if I sell it immediately.

- , Liberty, MO, USA

Apr 022009

Taurus S 3.0L V6

I was driving down the highway and after going through a green light, my transmission just quit working leaving me stranded on a major highway. I then had to call a towtruck to haul my useless car to fix the transmission for $2250.00. I had to take out a personal loan just to fix this car.

- , Columbus, GA, USA

Aug 082011

I was driving on a busy 3 lane road in Greenville SC when the transmission completely failed. Luckily a gap in the traffic came by and I was able to pull over without incident. The car was towed to the local Ford dealership and three days later was quoted a price of $3400 to put in a rebuilt "Quality Ford" transmission. I told the service rep I had zero confidence in his transmission and took it a well known transmission shop in Mauldin SC (Advance Transmissions). They replaced the transmission for $1825 in less time than it took the Ford dealership to tell me what the obvious problem was. Total costs were right at $2,000 for this problem. When I called several other Ford dealerships in the area to get prices for the transmission they are were all quite aware of the problem with the 2003 Taurus transmission. Ford needs to recall this car. I am sending letters to the Attorney general and voicing my complaint where ever I am able until Ford does the right thing!

- , Greenwood, SC, USA

May 202011

Taurus SE V6

we were going off to vacation and without no warning the transmission just stopped working we coasted on tot he side of the road the car sounded fine just didnt go into gear after that, now Im told it will be over 1000 to fix! My mechanic is still checking it out to make sure it wasnt just a sensor....ugh!

- , Amarillo, TX, USA

Jul 022011

Taurus SES 3.0L V6

We have owned the car since 2004 and it was a really great car until saturday. Went out to the car and started it and found out there were no gears! Car just revs up. NO WARNING JUST QUIT WORKING!!!!! I have been a fan of Ford for years but I'm not so sure anymore. I have read thousands of complaints for the very same problem. Our Taurus only has 103,000 miles and now it needs a transmission thats costs more than the car is worth!

Now it's a lawn ornament. Ford should recall this POS transmission.

- , New Richmond, WI, USA

Jul 042011

Taurus SES 3.0L

My college student granddaughter was coming home from her apartment at Huntington, WV (Marshall University) for the 4th. of July and the car transmission dis-engaged like it was put in neutral, she luckily was able to coast to the side of the towed (which was not cheap) to my home. The car starts & runs but won't move when it is in ANY GEAR. Googled 2003 Ford SES Transmission failure and found this site with the same complaints as with my vehicle...I thought oh, SH*T!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I'm screwed!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My First and Last Ford and that's a PROMISE Ford Motor Company. No recalls for this on going failure of this type transmission is my complaint. And we wonder why our jobs are going across the waters???? And why buying AMERICAN is not such a good thing... I find it hard that I just said these words. Damn I'm pissed! No recalls! And did I mention...Damn I'm pissed!

- , London, WV, USA

Jun 242011

Taurus SE 3.0L

Drove home from problems...went out on 6/24/11...stopped at a red light...everything was fine...went about 50 feet...Transmission dis-engaged and coasted to the side of the towed home for $148.00...have no friggen Idea what to do does not respond in ANY drives...nothing....sits in the driveway right now...Damn you Ford Motor Company!!!!....DO SOMETHING!!!!!....I PAID YOU GOOD MONEY for this car....I trusted your wonder the car companies are in screw the customer...will NEVER buy another Ford product AGAIN!!!!!

- , Mentor, OH, USA