2004 Ford Taurus drivetrain problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2004 Ford Taurus:

2004 Ford Taurus Owner Comments (Page 2 of 2)

Sep 282012

Taurus

I was driving on the interstate and the check transmission light came on. I pulled to the side of the road and checked the fluid, it was at the correct level and was clean and smelled good. I pulled back on to the road and it ran ok for about 2 hours. We came up on an accident and stopped, when we went to go forward the car made a big bang, shuddered, then drove ok. I went to the nearest exit and stopped at the light, the car drove away normally to the gas station. At the station I re-checked the fluid, again everything normal. When I went to pull away the car just revved up like it was in neutral. It would not go in to any gear.

- Virginia Beach, VA, USA

Aug 152012

Taurus 6-cyl

I was accelerating from a stop light, when all of a sudden the engine speed increased and the car slowed down. As the car was slowing down in heavy traffic I attempted to accelerate but all that happened is the engine revved higher. I was in heavy 2 way traffic and was lucky enough to notice a turn off into a parking lot before the car came to a complete stop. I proceeded to try the car in all gears but no movement occurred. It is like it is like the car is stuck in neutral. I had to have it towed to a local garage where it was diagnosed with a known problem with these transmissions. I was told the splines inside the torque converter strip out and fails to spin the shaft that spins the fluid pump. This is a know problem and a recall was issued (11S25) for Ford freestar using the same transmission. I called Ford and was told this car does not fall under the recall even though it is the same transmission.

- Fairport, NY, USA

Mar 012012

Taurus 6-cyl

Driving on the highway, the car just died. The transmission failed. I had to coast to the safety of a parking lot, and I am lucky I made it. I understand that there have been a lot of complaints regarding this transmission in this model year. I also understand from a Ford dealer mechanic that this transmission has been recalled in association with a truck in which the same transmission was used but that it has not been recalled in the Ford Taurus. I feel this should be looked into.

- Marlton, NJ, USA

Jul 232012

Taurus 6-cyl

First incident: Put the car in reverse to back out of a parking space and the car accelerated in reverse to 40 mph until I stepped on the brake. The same night as I was driving on the highway at a speed of 60mph, the car accelerated up to 75mph before I stepped on the brake. Second incident: The car was in park and the engine made a loud noise as if the car was accelerating. When I switched gears and put the car into drive it darted off it stopped when I stepped on the brake. The car reached 55mph.

- West Roxbury, Ma, MA, USA

Jun 292012

Taurus

The contact owns a 2004 Ford Taurus. The contact stated that while driving 70 mph, the transmission light illuminated. The contact stopped and had the vehicle diagnosed by a personal mechanic; however no problem was found. As the contact continued to drive, whenever the vehicle accelerated to 70 mph the transmission light would illuminate. The vehicle was taken to another personal mechanic and the contact was informed that the transmission would need to be rebuilt. The vehicle had not been repaired. The VIN was unavailable. The failure and current mileages were 133,000.

- Kansas City, MO, USA

Feb 012012

Taurus 6-cyl

The throttle sticks when slowing down to a stop. It suddenly revs up. Must stomp on the brakes and attempt to throw into neutral. Had been able to stop but 2 days ago rear ended a truck. Damage to my car.

- Algonquin, IL, USA

Feb 012012

Taurus 6-cyl

The throttle sticks when slowing down to a stop, it suddenly revs up. Must then stomp on the brakes and try to throw it into neutral. Usually can catch it however, 2 days ago ended up rear ending someone. The front end of my car is damaged. Ran into a truck which wasn't damaged.

- Algonquin, IL, USA

May 032012

Taurus

The transmission went out. Ford Taurus transmissions seem to go out a lot! why is there not a recall on this"?"

- Hattiesburg, MS, USA

Mar 032012

Taurus 6-cyl

The shift will not go into gear have to wait until the car is ready and then the shift will move.

- Laplace, LA, USA

Apr 142012

Taurus

The contact owns a 2004 Ford Taurus. The contact stated that while driving approximately 65 to 70 mph, the RPM's increased excessively. The vehicle became resistant to acceleration attempts and was towed to the contact's residence where it was inspected by an independent mechanic. The mechanic advised her that the transmission failed and either the converter or the pump needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was contacted and they offered no assistance. The failure and current mileages were approximately 60,000.

- La Crosse, WI, USA

Mar 132012

Taurus 6-cyl

The car will try to accelerate when coming to a stop as well as when you foot is off the accelerator. In the instances that this has happened my wife or I has shifted the car to neutral at a stop and the engine will rev to 3,000 rpms and stay there. Please note when this happens the car will try to move forward and accelerate in drive even when your foot is on the brake.

- Des Moines, IA, USA

Feb 162012

Taurus 6-cyl

My newly licensed 16 year old son was driving home from school and suddenly the car stopped pulling. It stayed running and he was able to barely coast to the side of the road. It would not go forward or backward and there was no noise or prior indication that there was a problem. After investigating the problem on the internet this is a very common problem. Recall this vehicle immediately before someone gets killed. A class action lawsuit is warranted due to the danger of this problem. I am hoping taking this route will get results. If not I will take other routes to get the attention this matter desperately needs. Local news media as well as BBB and other avenues.

- Ripley, OH, USA

Jan 252012

Taurus

The contact owns a 2004 Ford Taurus. The contact stated that the vehicle stalled without warning. A local mechanic diagnosed that the transmission would need replacing. The manufacturer was notified of the failure, but denied any assistance with repairs to the vehicle. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure and the current mileage was 146,000.

- Lansing, MI, USA

May 232011

Taurus

The contact owns a 2004 Ford Taurus. The contact stated that while reversing and attempting to shift the gear into drive, the gear would not release from the neutral position. The vehicle was towed to a local transmission specialist, where the contact was informed that the torque converter failed. The manufacturer denied assistance with the repair. The vehicle was repaired. The failure mileage was 64,105 and the current mileage was 65,000.

- Canonsburg, PA, USA

Apr 132011

Taurus

After executing a right turn onto a side street, the vehicle lost power to the wheels and coasted to a stop. There was no shoulder to pull over to, and state patrol arrived to push vehicle to a safe location.

- Lake Stevens, WA, USA

Feb 092011

Taurus

I was driving down route 4 South from forestville, md towards upper marlboro, md. I went to accelerate, when the RPM gauge began to climb about as high as it could go. At the same time, the mph gauge began to decrease. I pulled my vehicle off of the road onto the shoulder and let it coast to a stop. I could shift from "drive" to "reverse" to "1st", but the car would not move forward or backwards. I had it towed for repairs.

- Owings, MD, USA